I have been a BB person for five years...I have gotten a bit tired of the same ole' same ole and recently made the jump to the android, EVO specifically. Amazing device, incredible versatility, web browsing, options and on and on..for all intents and purposes this is a way better device than my BB 9650. Long story shot, I am back today using my BB 9650? I consider myself a logical and reasonable person but I cannot for the life of me tell you why I switched back to a device that is unarguably "worse" for reasons I cannot articulate or put my finger on. Has anyone else been in this boat?
    07-04-10 06:17 PM
    i'm going to duck lol
    07-04-10 06:31 PM
    Someone bring popcorn. This show may be fun.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-04-10 06:36 PM
    LMAO, I want some cheddar on mine
    07-04-10 06:38 PM
    I have been a BB person for five years...I have gotten a bit tired of the same ole' same ole and recently made the jump to the android, EVO specifically. Amazing device, incredible versatility, web browsing, options and on and on..for all intents and purposes this is a way better device than my BB 9650. Long story shot, I am back today using my BB 9650? I consider myself a logical and reasonable person but I cannot for the life of me tell you why I switched back to a device that is unarguably "worse" for reasons I cannot articulate or put my finger on. Has anyone else been in this boat?
    I had the droid and by all accounts should have been blown away but face it the BB does what it does very well nothing flashy but when you get right down to it why do you need flashy ?
    I personally don't want to search out an app every time I need to do something and I hate how all droids handle phone calls....bottom line your a crackberry head ...welcome to the club !
    07-04-10 06:39 PM
    In my opinion it comes down to whether you need EVERYTHING that phones like the EVO and the upcoming EPIC4G offer. or are you satisfied with what the BB can give you.

That's kind of the dilemma that I have. I want an Android phone. Something like the Incredible or something (whenever the phone ever comes from the dreaded inventory delay bug)

but I am nervous that Android is way too much for what I need to do with my life.
    So perhaps, did you feel comfertable with your BB, that attempting another phone proved to be, not necessarily "too much" for you, but a phone that does not give you the comfortable feeling that you had with your blackberry?
    07-04-10 06:42 PM
    I had almost every android device VERIZON has and I am back to my pearl flip so don't feel bad! I am still going to wait and see what 6.0 looks like before I jump ship again. If 6.0 brings the improvements I want I will stay but if not I will leave for android for sure. If the droid incredible didn't have such reception issues I would of kept it.

07-04-10 06:42 PM
    07-04-10 06:45 PM

If it is dinner theater, I will eat my pasta quietly and observe.
    07-04-10 08:12 PM
    If it is dinner theater, I will eat my pasta quietly and observe.
    That's too healthy, kinda like munching on a salad, mix it up a bit, might get juicy lol
    07-04-10 08:20 PM
    It's all personal preference. For me the Bold 9650 is a terrific device. It just does what it's supposed to do.

07-05-10 07:19 AM
    First and foremost my phone has to be a phone and if it doesn't do that well then it's no good to me no matter how flashy it is.
    07-05-10 08:27 AM
    It's all personal preference. For me the Bold 9650 is a terrific device. It just does what it's supposed to do.

My thoughts exactly! I do not NEED all the extra stuff the droid does, I love my bb and have zero complaints, to each their own.

07-05-10 09:47 AM
    I was actually trying to explain this to my girlfriend the other day ... I have had every single droid verizon has offered and I still plan on trying the droid x once released as well ... The reason why I'm back on my blackberry bold is because of the simplicity and with that comes efficiency ... Let me explain if you take an incredible and put it next to this phone and load the same web page the droid will win everytime ... Same thing with the camera ... With the navigation ... And so on ... Shot for shot the droid will always win BUT if you were to take a list of 20 commonly used tasks ... Like write an email, listen to your voicemail, check crackberry site, take a picture and send it to facebook, add a new contact, copy paste words from a webpage, send a document ect . ... And then try to compete with someone from both phones although the droid will kill BB on a single task contest I can hands down beat any droid in doing all those tasks because the blackberry doesn't have 7 screens to scroll through or need an icon to load everything on the 6h screen ... Quick launch + BB is a dream ... Shortcut to every application is amazing

07-05-10 10:13 AM
    You NAILED it, man. That is exactly how I feel - I've been switching around, trying to find the "perfect" device. First, I went for the Droid Incredible, which was an AWESOME phone...but then somehow I came back to my BlackBerry after 2 weeks. Then went to an Evo 4G on Sprint, thinking maybe knowing that there was a superior phone around the corner that turned me off on the Droid Incredible. Five days, came back to BlackBerry. Before this, I had tried the Palm Pre, the Palm Pixi, the Motorola Droid, the iPhone 3G and 3GS...and yet I always come back.

I discovered something, though, after purchasing a BlackBerry Bold 9650: it's just RELIABLE.

There's something "safe" about a BlackBerry. When you need a phone and you need something to work, you turn to a BlackBerry. And that's been my challenge - my inner geek wants to get the latest new gadget...but at the end of the day, I keep coming back because:

• Email is still superior to any device out there.
    • Battery life is superior to any smartphone. Droid phones SUCK battery dry, even with ATK. Plus, you can buy second batteries on the cheap, or get extended Sedio batteries.
    • As a communicatons device (actually communicating with other people - as in: email, phone, SMS/MMS), it is superior to any smartphone. It is easier to do this on a BlackBerry than on any other device.
    • Superior cell reception.
    • The keyboards are phenomenal! I mean, when I had a Droid Incredible and an Evo 4G, I wrote REALLY short texts. Now, I can write lengthy emails and it doesn't bother me at all - actually, I ENJOY typing it out on the BlackBerry. But I always wrote no more than three lines on the Droids or the iPhone.
    • Reliability. Very dependable phones.

Anyway, that's my list of why I'm sticking to the BlackBerry. And this just came to me on Thursday after I bought my Bold 9650. This is coming from a guy who's had the following:

• Treo 680, 700p, 700wx
    • iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS
    • Palm Pre, Palm Pixi (originals on Sprint)
    • Droid Incredible, Motorola Droid, Motorola i1, HTC Evo 4G
    • Motorola Q, Motorola Q9m, Samsung Jack
    • HTC Hero, Samsung Moment, Motorola RAZR V3m
    • And the phones I keep coming back to: BlackBerry 8820, Curve 8320 & 8330, Curve 8520 & 8530, Bold 9000, Bold 9700, Tour 9630, and now...finally - Bold 9650

And the best phone I've ever owned is the BlackBerry Curve 8330. Haha, yeah - that guy lasted me forever. But now, I'm feeling that same love for my 9650.

Anyway, didn't mean to bore you - just wanted to let you know why you have that feeling of coming back all the time!
    07-05-10 12:35 PM
    BoldDiddy,
    You didn't bore anyone! And can I say, I have only had Two Blackberries...the Curve 8330 and now the Bold 9650...and yes! the 8330 was a helluva phone and they will have to pry the Bold from my cold dead hands for all the reasons you stated, even though I have never tried a Droid.

Thanks for saying what I could never put into words!
    07-05-10 01:32 PM
    Wow this thread must be full of my kind of folks. I have had just about every Android out there and I always come back to the BB. It is like a old pair of broken in shoes, it just fits me right, no pain just comfy leather. I came close to waiting for the Droid X but said no, no, no been there done that and I would be right back to the BB. So I am going to upgrade from my Tour to the Bold in the morning. End of story.
    07-05-10 08:55 PM
    Wow this thread must be full of my kind of folks. I have had just about every Android out there and I always come back to the BB. It is like a old pair of broken in shoes, it just fits me right, no pain just comfy leather. I came close to waiting for the Droid X but said no, no, no been there done that and I would be right back to the BB. So I am going to upgrade from my Tour to the Bold in the morning. End of story.
    Tip: Call up Verizon customer service and complain about a trackball issue. Not sure if you read the CB blog post on the matter, but they should offer up a Bold as a replacement since they have no more Tours available as warranty replacements. Got my Bold last weekend doing just this! Just a friendly tip!

Now, onto my opinion...

Ive had an 8130, 8330, 9630 and now a 9650, but I must admit to thinking unpure thoughts about the Droid Incredible and Android 2.1/2.2 in general. And that Incredible.... I want it. And I want it now. It's sleek, sexy, and has tons of features.

BUT.

My 9650 is a rock solid warrior. heck (edit: didnt know the word heck replaces here was a swear word?) of a keyboard (pretty much need one. I just cant do screen keyboards well), solid OS with os 5, and my biggest complaints of the trackball and lack of wifi on my 9630 have been remedied! Now, once RIM comes out with OS 6 and that flashy WebKit browser, I will have everything I need in a mobile device.

There are hundreds of things that I would like to see RIM update/fix/add to the BB OS, but I feel that I could make a list just as long with Android, iPhone, and Palm (could hit a thousand with palm ).

The BB just works. Plain and simple.
    Last edited by manunited518; 07-05-10 at 10:11 PM. Reason: my potty mouth
    07-05-10 10:09 PM
    Interesting thread.... Well I have to agree with everyone here Blackberries are just CONVENIENT.... its that simple... I have gotten the Droid, that lasted one week... between the 1.5h battery life, and the fact that it takes 6 clicks to make a phonecall... you get the point.... Iphone 3g... great toy, good Ipod but limited functionality and a touchscreen... hmm...I keep coming back to my single button dialing... and I have been through all the berries...

That being said, lately more often then not, I really wish I can throw my Bold 9650 out the window due to signal issues even w. Verizon... I truly think its a radio software issue w/ RIM as my Tour did the same thing.... and its getting worse it seems from update to update.. at this point in the game RIM can certainly fix its dreadful bugs.... but again, sadly, I can't live without the quick access to phonecalls and emails, and of course the BBM... though a better EMAIL reading format is something to be desired (Iphone arguably makes emails LOOK more user friendly, esp w rich formatting)... but it is what it is...
    07-05-10 10:59 PM
    They don't call it CrackBerry for nothing!
    07-05-10 11:10 PM
    If you feel the reception is worse for each new update, then simply swap out the radio file from an older OS.

If you're wrong and its actual network problems then that won't do crap though

07-05-10 11:31 PM

Maybe you don't like touch screens?
    07-05-10 11:33 PM
    I am right there with you guys! Wife talked me into trying the Droid, I did - then back to the Tour. Then got the Incredible as soon as it came out and I must say I absolutely loved that phone for the first 5 days or so. Then...yep. Switched back. I loved looking at the Incredible but I was finding myself writing shorter texts and emails because it almost made my stomach hurt to type on it. Even using Swype and the other keyboards. I like to physically press the keys and feel like I have accomplished something. I have made this same argument to my wife that even though the Droid is faster doing 1 thing, I can do many things faster using the BB, like emailing or placing a call, etc. The BB is reliable and fast. I find myself in a hurry most of the day, and when I am super stressed out the thought of fumbling around on that touchscreen is a horrible thing to think about!
    07-06-10 07:17 AM
    Tip: Call up Verizon customer service and complain about a trackball issue. Not sure if you read the CB blog post on the matter, but they should offer up a Bold as a replacement since they have no more Tours available as warranty replacements. Got my Bold last weekend doing just this! Just a friendly tip!
    This DID NOT work for me! I just called and tried this and they said that the warranty only replaces my exact existing phone so they will be shipping out another Tour. This isn't what I wanted...at all!
    07-06-10 07:41 AM
    This DID NOT work for me! I just called and tried this and they said that the warranty only replaces my exact existing phone so they will be shipping out another Tour. This isn't what I wanted...at all!

The only reason this worked before for some users, is Big red was out of Tours in a lot of locations. The only replacement they were able to send was FRU's Bold's
    07-06-10 07:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD