I have a bold and have been very happy, but people round me are forcing me to have impure thoughts - I need help!!!

I am being forced to think and dare I say even consider the new iPhone.

I love my bold, but recently it has been running slow and I can only install a few apps before the memory goes to zero and my iPhone buddies (or devils) and making me question my beliefs.

Please help me, remind me of why I am a believer!!

Or is it time to turn to the dark side ........ (Will I need to sell my soul to the devil)

07-20-09 06:08 AM
    Umm, I have around 27 apps and my phone boots with 36MB of App Memory. How many apps do you need? Are you loading your OS using CrackMem? (removing all the useless junk)
    07-20-09 06:16 AM
    Not tried Crackmem - will have a read - I keep getting cut off during a call and the occasional crash (I think) where the screen pixalates with colours have to press the back key to clear. But the machines keeps hanging.
    07-20-09 06:31 AM
    ok, so CrackMem allows you to only install the things you need - this would make an iphone user laugh.

They install crap all day long without thinking about the memory.

Why do we put up with having to "be careful" what we install.

this is one of the reasons I am begining to question my device choice.
    07-20-09 06:39 AM
    Seriously? XD

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-09 06:49 AM
    I do love the bold and it does everything I want. I am on BIS and can get all my emails, both work and personal. The iphone connects to the same webmail but gets the calendar as well!!

I don't have that many apps on my BB but seems to be grinding to a holt, I am still running 4.6.0.162 and do need to update, but the new iphone just seems so slick - the only thing that worries me is typing on it - I love typing on the Bold and can happily write some long emails, not convinced I'll feel the same about the iphone. But other than that it seems to have everything and more than my BB has (except a satnav program, but TomTom is coming)

Why would I keep the bold and not go for the iphone.

I can think of two that would worry me, multi-tasking and typing.

Everything else seems a no brainer?

Has anyone used both?

Looking for someone who went from bold to iphone and someone who went from iphone to bold - that should give a rounded argument?

Thanks

Simeon.
    07-20-09 06:56 AM
    Open up your switch application menu (alt+back, or hold down menu on certain os versions). If it has more than 5 things in it (browser, home screen, phone, BBM, and messages), you may want to see if you cal live with only doing one thing at a time. No listening to pandora while web surfing, or anything like that.

07-20-09 07:01 AM
    I went from iPhone to Bold. Bold beats out iPhone in every phone functional way IMO. If you search there are about a million of these threads that should help you decide. You should also update your OS.

07-20-09 07:03 AM
    *sigh*

When will it end. iPhone vs Bold arguement.

Let's see, since you stated that you are running .162, the first thing I'd suggest is updating to a newer OS (I'm running .282 with no problems, 50 or so MBs of Mem after a BP with around 6 apps installed).

Now, the email topic. Seems that Mobile Me does a pretty decent job so up to you with this one.

Typing. I believe that no touchscreen (current anyway, maybe in the future?) Will replace a good, sturdy, and reliable physical keyboard, such as the one the Bold has. While the 3GS has a landscape feature to make up for its lack of one, it does take up a lot of the screen. Which kinda kills it for some users.

Finally, its YOUR money, use it however you please. If you want the iPhone then get it. If you are truely looking for pros/cons of both devices then this is not the best site to get them. I mean, a website called CRACKBerry? Know what I mean =)

07-20-09 07:09 AM
    I moved from a BB Curve 8310 to an iPhone 3G. I thought I'd last out a year at least with the iPhone -- but alas! In three months flat, I grew tired of the gaming and lame email support of the iPhone. The thrill having worn off, I have now switched back to a Bold.
    Bottom line is -- if you are looking for a phone with gaming, iPhone is your baby. If it is into emailing, pinning, instant messaging, there's none to beat the Blackberry!
    07-20-09 07:27 AM
    I will upgrade and see if that brings it - we have a running battle in the office, and I always felt I had a winning case but the iphone is looking better by the day. I have until March for my contact to expire so have plenty of time, just have a few 3gs's around showing off like peacocks!

As to when will it end, I don't think it will.

They are both great devices but just get a bit jelous every now and then.

I'll keep plugging away and see how I get on with the OS update.
    07-20-09 07:28 AM
    LOL. I had the iphone 3g and went to the blackberry bold, because a few things REALLY bugged me about the iphone:
    1) no true push email
    2) no multitasking (biggie for me, as I like to keep all my instant messengers connected 24/7)
    3) battery life, not only does the blackberry have the patent on the push system, it compresses all pushed content and internet content, ergo making it smaller, ergo more battery life. Not to mention... the iphone 3g had ... 1100 mah? I'm not sure, but it was A LOT less than the blackberry bold, or any RECENT blackberry in general! And the inability to change batteries whenever I please, and having to send it away so that SOMEONE ELSE can service it for me JUST to replace the battery was the main reason I threw the Iphone away (sold it...), the battery life was horrible and I wasn't able to exchange batteries out.

On the other hand I found the iphone the BEST gaming device out there, and it ALWAYS had TONS Of apps. I'm actually considering buying another iphone just for the gaming :P I have a friend who works for the company that sells them, otherwise I wouldn't dish out another 400 euros for that phone. I'd pay less than half for an unlocked one! But it's SERIOUSLY a GOOD device. But I can't stand it as my PERSONAL and ONLY device. Blackberry does that for me. It keeps me connected 24/7 (which is what a phone SHOULD do) but doesn't keep me entertained (as graphics SUCK on blackberry).

Honestly, blackberry is boring me, I've been a user for over 3 years now, and I've had TONS Of devices. Literally, TONS. I always leave blackberry because they're boring, and I never have any fun with them, but they do what they're designed for... Communicate and allows me to chat con BBM or AIM or MSN or GTALK or whatever I want for HOURS and HOURS before even getting half way. The iphone had to be recharged 2 times a day for me, because I'm a HARD core user.

Hope this helps!
    07-20-09 07:29 AM
    very useful, thanks
    07-20-09 07:45 AM
    I use both a BlackBerry 8900 and an iphone 3G. I tend to use my BlackBerry during the day because I need to get my email/texts pronto and I can easily access news, weather, banking info easily. I take my iphone to bed (woo hoo!) to listen to podcasts, watch videos, etc. I am an insomniac so this is a great solution for me. I could probably save $$ and get an ipod Touch but that would limit usage to wi-fi areas.
    If I had to give up one device it would probably be the iphone 3G, and I'd probably upgrade to Bold/Onyx for wi-fi and 3g coverage.
    07-20-09 07:52 AM
    iPhone is a toy.
    07-20-09 08:19 AM
    I have beejive on my iphone, all my instant messengers from gmail, to facebook, to msn messenger all pop up in one window. Beejive has push now so when I receive a new msg a screen pops up allowing me to respond even if I'm in the middle of something on the phone.

I have only one game on my phone, and I hardly ever use that one.

Give the iphone a try for 30 days, if you find it doesn't work for you, take it back. Why get opinions from people when all they can say is "iphone sucks". The iphone is not perfect, there are some features of the blackberry that I miss. But overall, I'd rather keep the iphone then go back to the black berry

g'luck!
    07-20-09 08:34 AM
    I don't think BB suitable to have so many applications because generally you will only use a few. There is a tool for install to Media card (aerize card loader)

I have 2 phones :
    1. Nokia E71 for GPS navigation ; phone calls ; sms and occassional sudoku game ; tethering to laptop via wifi
    2. BlackBerry Bold : for all my messaging needs and chatting.

I rarely use sms anymore since most of my contacts uses BlackBerry, and we love bbm.

I know many people have iPhone and BlackBerry Bold in their pocket, it's because they love both device and doesn't want to miss any of them.

Between Nokia e71 or bold, I would prefer bold now.. last year, before not many friends uses BlackBerry.. I'd go for Nokia e71.
    07-20-09 09:27 AM
    i say get a bold and an iTouch. That's what I have. At first I was all geeked to use my Wifi on my iTouch, then i realized all the apps suck. I prefer the functional apps like Amazon and BBGPSGolf... Games are ok, but I've found very few i actually like. I pretty much only use the iTouch for music now. Honestly, i don't get the hard on for Safari, it's nice but it's not THAT nice. Bold browser's work just fine. I mean, these are phones... BB browser is as good or better than my old Touchscreen Treo750.
    07-20-09 11:29 AM
    ok, just uploaded to 4.6.0.266 and now have almost 30mb free mem, much better than the 9mb I had yesterday, but still seems to be running slow.

I have vib and ring, sms display running and thats about it, not installed programs for ages - but started running slowly.

I'll keep trying.
    07-22-09 02:32 AM
    ok, just uploaded to 4.6.0.266 and now have almost 30mb free mem, much better than the 9mb I had yesterday, but still seems to be running slow.

I have vib and ring, sms display running and thats about it, not installed programs for ages - but started running slowly.

I'll keep trying.
    are you using a 3rd party theme? they can slow you down. Perhaps try the app LogMaid. Also, clear your internet cache every once and a while. Also, Quickpull. I use it every morning (scheduled) to make sure my Bold is running top notch everyday.

IMO, if App Memory get below 22mb or so, the phone starts acting up. The lower it goes, the worse it gets.
    07-22-09 06:18 AM
    *sigh*

When will it end. iPhone vs Bold arguement.

IMO - Never as long as the Apple Fanbois and girls feel the need to assimilate the rest of the world into drinking their Kool-Aid!

I have a Bold for my Communications device: I have several iPods and an iTouch for music and movies. I do not feel the need to have an "All-In-One" device that does it all. Why - if it craps out then I'm screwed.

Just my opinion. YMMV
    07-22-09 06:39 AM
    Having one device that does it all is a dream come true. Convergence device is the irreversable trend and it only will intensify in future. The reason why I don't use my Bold to watch movies or listen to music but use my iPod touch (iTouch?) instead is because the Bold is just not good enough. I'm not saying that iPhone is a perfect machine but it is pretty damn close. That been said, I prefer my Bold and I don't know really why.
    07-22-09 07:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD