I am definitely impressed with the Bold 9650 ( I got it yesterday)

The trackpad (of which I thought I didn't like) is actually a huge improvement from the trackball, it is sunken a little but not as much as ones i've seen.

The keyboard actually feels better than the tour's on my finger (although the tours I believe may be broken and have dirt underneath, etc.

Never thought I wanted WiFi, until I used it, never knew my phone can go so fast!

Doubled memory is great, while I am usually left in the 100 MB range left, I now have over 300 MB left and it may be me, but the phone definitely is faster.

Battery life is OK. I believe my tours was slightly better ( by 1-2 hours), so does anyone have tips on how to save battery life.

My screen backlight is set to 10.
    The Mobile Network is 1XEV and not Global, anything else I can do?
    06-19-10 07:14 AM
    Any new battery will need to break in a little bit before it is able to last the longest. If you are only seeing a small difference, I would think once the battery has cycled through a few times you will notice the battery to last the same amount of time.
    06-19-10 07:35 AM
    Thanks.
    I also hear that flipping the sim card will help increase battery life, do you know if this is true?
    06-19-10 07:36 AM
    Flipping the sim card will help stabilize the 3G signal, which in turn will save some battery life as well. How much batter life? Not 100% sure I could say it would be a noticeable amount, but it is worth flipping it when its not in use.
    06-19-10 07:41 AM
    Okay, thanks for all your help
    06-19-10 07:45 AM
    Never a problem, I hope the 9650 treats you better then the 9630 did, I know how much of a pain those could be.
    06-19-10 07:46 AM
    Great to hear! My Bold is coming on Monday...I may even activate it! lol Maybe I'll play around with it on wifi for a bit.
    06-19-10 09:10 AM
    Flipping the sim card will help stabilize the 3G signal, which in turn will save some battery life as well. How much batter life? Not 100% sure I could say it would be a noticeable amount, but it is worth flipping it when its not in use.
    Will flipping the SIM card help if you chose "No" to the propt that you get when booting up about selecting GSM networks? Thanks
    06-19-10 10:12 AM
    Flipping the sim card? I don't even have my first BB yet, but I should be getting it (vzw 9650) early/mid next week. I have some cell-phone experience and I didn't even realize any vzw phones even had a sim card! Does it fit in both ways? I think an IT person at the office will be setting it up for me. How would I know if it already had been flipped?

I've been lurking for a couple of weeks, taken BB 101, looked for any low-vision themes, etc. and was looking for a Post #1 opportunity. Thanks.
    06-19-10 11:12 AM
    Flipping the sim card? I don't even have my first BB yet, but I should be getting it (vzw 9650) early/mid next week. I have some cell-phone experience and I didn't even realize any vzw phones even had a sim card! Does it fit in both ways? I think an IT person at the office will be setting it up for me. How would I know if it already had been flipped?

I've been lurking for a couple of weeks, taken BB 101, looked for any low-vision themes, etc. and was looking for a Post #1 opportunity. Thanks.
    The sim card it's not for Verizon's network. Since the Bold is a world-phone you can use it to travel outside the U.S. Some people flip the sim card or just simply remove it to stabilized Verizon's network.
    06-19-10 11:44 AM
    So it sounds like a) flipping it is the same as removing it because it would become disconnected (which is what I was thinking from my days managing at Radioshack), and b) it's not needed for domestic US service. Thanks so much. The universe is working again!
    06-19-10 03:51 PM
    How does flipping the card or removing it "stabilize" the 3G signal?
    06-19-10 05:37 PM
    How does flipping the card or removing it "stabilize" the 3G signal?
    It's not set in writing but many have reported less fluctuating signal when the SIM card is flipped (not connected) or removed and setting the mobile network to 1XEV instead of Global...

But lately my new Bold has being fluctuating like crazy (my SIM card is removed). Might be the placebo effect for some people cause I haven't noticed much difference.
    06-20-10 01:48 AM
    Someone reported seeing some sim card errors in the event log, which might account for some battery drain. That and there's a suspicion that global network mode looks for GSM signals even if you're not really using it.

Even if none of that is true, the sim does nothing useful anyways and flipping it gets rid of the sim card prompt and let's you keep the network set to 1XEV. Otherwise on a soft reset it defaults back to global, which is pointless for most since they are never using GSM at all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-10 02:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD