I was thinkin of getting an iPhone but decided to hold off atleast till I see everything 5.0 has to offer. I feel like if RIM doesn't make a drastic change to there OS with 5.0 than they never will. Many of you may think BB OS is perfectly fine, but a lot of us feel it needs some changes in order to remain close to the competition. How important will 5.0 be to you guys? Will it determine whether or u keep ur BOLD or any BB u may have. RIMs pretty much had the same OS for a few yrs, and while YES it does work, its become a bit stale as of late, especially with so many other phones hitting the market. Instead of dropping 10 phones a year, with a few minor changes, they need to focus on there OS, imo ofcourse.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-09 01:45 PM
    I say, if it ain't broke, don't break it. IMO, screen shots of the new BBM seems a little bloated to me. The current OS is easy to navigate, professional, not toyish, or cartoonish and....WORKS!

Of course I always welcome tweaks here and there. Don't think it needs a major revamp yet.
    07-06-09 04:07 PM
    I'm bound to jump ship once HTC Hero hits stateside on AT&T. Looks like all I need is Google.

07-06-09 04:18 PM
    If you really don't like the current 4.6, then get an iphone now. 5.0 will not be a major facelift to the UI.

07-06-09 04:19 PM
    BB isn't meant to be pretty (though some recent phones are) and the OS isn't meant to dazzle. It's a very functional phone, meant for business and power users. If you want cute, get an iphone.

07-06-09 04:26 PM
    Define "drastic change"...

As long as the OS remains Java based, all you'll see are incremental changes at best.
    07-06-09 05:26 PM
    Once my contract is up I'm jumping out from RIM unless they start making some serious changes.

The old adage of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" doesn't cut it in Today's competitive market.
    07-06-09 05:42 PM
    Seriously, what is SO bad about the OS that warrants all this whining?

07-06-09 05:52 PM
    DO wonder if the new 5.0 will make a difference for the user especially with the palm pre's OS which makes multitasking a breeze
    07-06-09 05:54 PM
    Really and truly don't see any other phone that can
    do what a blackberry does. Let's be honest!!!

Sure the browser experience isn't no where near
    the best competition, but you already knew that,
    before buying.

RIM keeps things simple, they do what they do best.
    The king of QWERTY keyboard stands alone in that
    respect, also included are all the messaging apps
    and its loaded with business tools like documents
    to go.

Its simple yet very effective combination makes
    RIM a force to be reckoned with in the smartphone
    industry.

07-06-09 06:09 PM
    I agree, I think the BB is a superior device. I got my wife the iPhone, and sure the internet browsing on it by far is excellent, but I don't browse on my phone near enough to jump. Another thing I can't stand is Apple's involvement in every aspect of the phone, you are so limited unless you jailbreak it and even then its nowhere near as straightforward and customizable as the BB. I prefer the OS as it is, I don't need it all bloated etc.

07-06-09 06:12 PM
    I sure hope they majorly change the browser. Its worse than the Sony Ericsson w610i i had 4 years ago. I knew getting the bold and that it wasnt so great, but starting to use other phones my friends have i realize how poor it really is.

For example, the mobile espn site was so much nicer and better on the g1 than the bold. i know its something minor, but it makes a big difference in the long run
    07-06-09 06:33 PM
    Once my contract is up I'm jumping out from RIM unless they start making some serious changes.
    Like what?
    07-06-09 06:46 PM
    Even if the browser doesn't change much, skyfire is around the corner which will more than make up for it. )

07-06-09 06:49 PM
    Even if the browser doesn't change much, skyfire is around the corner which will more than make up for it. )

personally, i dont like the full browsers. usually i just want to check a few things out quickly and dont like to wait for things to load and then navigate through a few pages and stuff. I like the mobile browser, but the current one is not up to todays standards
    07-06-09 08:12 PM

The old adage of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" doesn't cut it in Today's competitive market.
    What competitive market? RIM couldn't care less if they don't appeal to the young adult crowd when they have contracts with companies for tens of thousands of bb's at a time.

07-06-09 08:29 PM
    The bb is awesome as it is. They only real problem is not enough memory on my curve. But best phone I've ever had.

07-06-09 08:29 PM
    This is really the same discussion over and over again. For those of us who love what a Blackberry does perfectly (email, texting, bbm, etc) there is nothing that is going to convince us to move to a iPhone, HTC, Pre, etc. For those of us who use our phones to surf the net, music, etc. obviously Blackberry is lacking. Its all about personal preference and what we intend to use our phones for. That said, I think the argument about an OS being "pretty" or not is just silly. Are you saying that the "pretty" OS is the better OS... That's been proven wrong over and over again.
    07-06-09 08:37 PM
    personally, i dont like the full browsers. usually i just want to check a few things out quickly and dont like to wait for things to load and then navigate through a few pages and stuff. I like the mobile browser, but the current one is not up to todays standards
    Today's standard? I presume you mean the iPhone (which is, right or wrong, what everyone expects). And here I thought you said you didn't like "full" browsers....
    07-06-09 08:58 PM
    I really appreciate this discussion.

I am eligible for a new phone in a few weeks from ATT and am seriously looking into the Bold as a replacement for my Q9h. I love my Q from the moment I bought it because of 2 apps I have installed: Sling Player and Skyfire. And I just can't get myself to purchase a phone that does not support either app. It's both or nothing. I know Sling Player is available for BB devices, so that leaves Skyfire. Iphone browser has nothing on Skyfire, hands down. Skyfire can go on many more sites Safari can not. You can stream from video/audio sites right in the browser, eliminating the need for a separate app for every site (ie youtube, imeem, etc.). And if a site is not compatible, just report it to the forums and more than likely, their team will eventually get it to work. The latest build for WM devices are lightning quick and a breeze to navigate. I'm sure the BB trackballs will make it even easier. For those of you who say "I don't do much browsing on my phone anyways" - you would if you had a good browser. I have been monitoring discussions at the Skyfire forums and have yet to come across an ETA for a BB release. The Bold does everything my Q can do, but it's sexier and has an app store. But still no Skyfire... what to do???

IMO, there is no turning back for someone who says "I'm thinking of getting an iPhone". They have been bitten and there is no antidote. The iPhone is great, just not for everyone.
    07-06-09 09:29 PM
    i really like my BB UI, maybe its because its my first BB why i like it so much.
    07-06-09 09:42 PM
    Today's standard? I presume you mean the iPhone (which is, right or wrong, what everyone expects). And here I thought you said you didn't like "full" browsers....
    There are other phones out there other than BB's and iPhones... By today's standard he pretty much means any other smartphone on the market. iPhone, Pre, Magic/My Touch 3G, OmniaHD, TP2, Hero...

RIM needs to actually make some changes which warrant such a version jump imo. It's sad to say but the BB OS is stagnating and falling behind (along with WinMo and Symbian), while Android, OS X, WebOS are evolving and will soon leave these dinosaurs behind. Memory leaks, battery pulls, and a sea of betas which incrementally 'tweak/patch' various problems while always introducing new glitches/bugs along with it... Some of you fanboi's need to realize this so RIM can make some changes and give us newer devices packed with features we can actually look forward to. Because at the moment, all we have to look forward to with new releases is: different casing, and better hardware to run the same exact (boring) OS.

There are certain aspects which I love from BB (push email, the best physical KB's around, the LED blinker) but that's it. Nothing else to really look forward to, and nothing really that justifies an upgrade. I love the Bold (minus the battery door)... So with this being said, I'll most likely consider upgrading to their next flagship device solely based on build quality and it will be my last until they REALLY make some changes. But for the people that are satisfied with the Bold's build quality and still upgrading... why?
    Last edited by energie; 07-06-09 at 11:09 PM.
    07-06-09 09:56 PM
    I for one don't want my BlackBerry to become a "consumer-focused" device...I'd rather they stay true to the core features that made BB great. Enhance and improve, of course, but don't try to emulate what the Androids, WebOS's, and OSX's of the world are doing, they are a different classification of device IMO...the BlackBerry is a workhorse, an unrivaled communications device. I'm not overly interested in eye-candy and multimedia features at the cost of core functionality.
    07-06-09 10:13 PM
    Like what?
    -Sub par browser
    -Still no TRUE threaded SMS
    -Needs frequent battery pulls/soft resets, constant memory leaks
    -Original OS on carrier sold phones are buggy as **** (eg .167 on ATT)--bad for BB newbs
    -Despite a FAST processor, OS lags at times (dreaded clock symbol)
    -feels dated compared to the competition
    -Missing simple standard features that we've all made up for with apps (eg. BuzzMe)
    -Simple touches like being able to configure the LED for different tasks/emails would be nice. Having a LED is a great convenience, but what's the point when you can't even customize it?
    -etc etc etc.
    07-06-09 10:30 PM
    What a bunch of whiners.
    07-06-09 10:49 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD