Hi everyone it's my first post here. I thought long before deciding to join the forum so I gave it a go. I love my BB 9000 bold which I got with no contract (unlocked) from my local Vodafone Shop. I have a few things that really grind my gears:
    - Can't use most applications
    Y messenger - "Service not enabled for this handheld"

Slacker Radio - Not Supported in my country - fair enough

now it gets serious

Yahoo Go! - trying to open the application it displays a whole list of things that are not true - eg. "no coverage" - coverage is ok in reality
    "connection settings are ok" - ??
    "flight mode is not active" - dohh
    "your phone's security settings allow online access" - I am connected to a wi-fi connection
    "you ALLOW network access" - of course I do!!

Facebook for Blackberry - Could not connect because a data service is not available

other gear-grinding facts about my bold: when I go to E-mail setup in the Setup wizard I only have the option "I want to use a work email account with a BlackBerry Enterprise Server"

I don't have the option to set up my own email account as it shows in my blackberry user manual or started guide eg. Yahoo or hotmail

**please note my Bold is free of contract and I only use internet a WI-Fi connection is available

any help would be hugely appreciated. Cheers! Sebastian
    08-15-09 04:28 AM
    Have you got ANY sort of BlackBerry services activated on your SIM card?? If not that's your answer. BB require BIS/BES service active so you can use it's full potential. App for BB are using BIS/BES to operate - so you need this service active...
    08-15-09 05:25 AM
    Hi. Things like facebook and getting pushmail requires data plan. wifi will not work. as for yahoo go, I would advise against using it cuz it's bloated and useless. I have all my yahoo email redirected to my gmail.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-09 05:28 AM
    I agree, it sounds like you don't have a BIS/BES plan. That's vital for you to use your Blackberry's full potential.
    08-15-09 05:32 AM
    and to get a BIS/BES plan do I need to contact my service opperator?
    08-15-09 06:13 AM
    Yes, you do.
    08-15-09 06:14 AM
    and to get a BIS/BES plan do I need to contact my service opperator?
    Yep. And that SHOULD fix all your problems. Wi-Fi works great for general web browsing. Just not for... well, all that other stuff.
    08-15-09 06:16 AM
    very well. but to make things really clear to the guys at the mobile service operator, what is in fact this BIS/BES plan?
    08-15-09 08:50 AM
    It is a data plan from your provider. A blackberry is pretty worthless without one. May as well just have a cheap non-smart phone to text and call people.

08-15-09 08:56 AM
    BIS is a personal data plan

BES is a corporate data plan

08-15-09 09:53 AM
    Call VF Customer Services and ask to have BIS (Blackberry Internet Service) added to your account, they'll know what it is. I would compliment it with an unlimited internet option too. Basically get both, so apps that use the APN instead of BIS to connect to the internet, dont cost you a fortune, as BIS does not cover data used by these apps. (slingplayer, certain twitter clients etc etc)
    08-15-09 09:55 AM
    thanks guys!
    08-15-09 04:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD