Guys, just got a bold this week. T Mobile UK - I want to update OS, is it safe for me to follow the latest OS sticky on this forum - I currently have .216 installed and when I go on the BB site and check for updates it doesnt give me a newer version - doest this mean I cannot upgrade to .282? Will it mess up my phone?
    08-15-09 01:55 PM
    Guys, just got a bold this week. T Mobile UK - I want to update OS, is it safe for me to follow the latest OS sticky on this forum - I currently have .216 installed and when I go on the BB site and check for updates it doesnt give me a newer version - doest this mean I cannot upgrade to .282? Will it mess up my phone?
    You can still upgrade to .282, its only telling u that you cant since T Mobile
    doesnt have it. Here is the link for .282 from Vodafone UK.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...hejNPx2A6t8A**

I would do a clean wipe using BBSAK (black berry swiss army knife) and the follow instructions in an article here about how to install an OS using apploader from a bricked berry (getting 507 error...which means you wiped cleanly).
    08-15-09 02:00 PM

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...hejNPx2A6t8A**

I would do a clean wipe using BBSAK (black berry swiss army knife) and the follow instructions in an article here about how to install an OS using apploader from a bricked berry (getting 507 error...which means you wiped cleanly).
    ^^ remember to delete the vendor xml file BEFORE loading Vodafone OS on T Mobile
    08-15-09 02:04 PM

Thanks, so how do I get this BBSAK? Also does this mean I will have to reinstall all apps, etc, or can I restore from a backup after installing the new OS?

Also I hope its worth it, I take it the difference between what I currently have and .282 will be vast?
    08-15-09 02:06 PM
    Thanks, so how do I get this BBSAK? Also does this mean I will have to reinstall all apps, etc, or can I restore from a backup after installing the new OS?

Also I hope its worth it, I take it the difference between what I currently have and .282 will be vast?
    read
    NEW Wiping your phone with BBSAK step by step - BlackberryOS.com
    08-15-09 02:22 PM

more info
    BBSAK: A Must Have For BlackBerry Techs | NationLink Wireless
    08-15-09 02:25 PM
    This is the article I used AFTER using BBSAK. Some articles mention you can use BBSAK to upload the new OS, but I followed this method (which doesn't use desktop manager) and worked just fine. I too was a bit nervous since I only got my bold in June, but everything worked out fine. Very happy with .282.

BlackBerry 101: How to Reload the Operating System on a Nuked BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com

follow along from (about a fifth of the way down on the page)
    remember to delete the vendor .xml file from the directory where the new OS is located on your pc

"The following process doesn't just work for Nuked BlackBerrys. You can also use it to clean the slate/reload/update the OS on a BlackBerry that's in fine working order. "
    08-15-09 02:32 PM
    legend. thanks - am doing it now, just downloaded what I need.
    08-15-09 02:34 PM
    legend. thanks - am doing it now, just downloaded what I need.
    when you wipe with BBSAK, you WANT to get the 507 error. that means u did a clean wipe
    08-15-09 02:36 PM
    let me know if you need any help. This was very nerve racking for me since I was pretty new to this also.

I never had .216 but .282 is MUCH better with battery life and 3G signal strength vs what came with my bold (.167). the only downside to .282 is that it takes longer to read things (not always) from your media card. So if you have a 16gig card full, it takes time to pre-scan them if you say want to view your pictures on the bold.
    08-15-09 02:39 PM
    ok thanks mate, im doing it now - ready for lift off, this better work - ive been hacking my iphone for two years, messed it up several times so know what its like!
    08-15-09 02:41 PM
    OH BTW...in case your carrier locked about being able to switch from 2G to 3G&2G liked ATT did with stock OS .167, .282 gives you that flexibility back. So when you're in a bad 3G area I can now switch to 2G only and my phone wont sped half a day and all its battery trying to link up with a 3G tower. This is the biggest + (esp. for current ATT customers)
    08-15-09 02:42 PM
    ok thanks mate, im doing it now - ready for lift off, this better work - ive been hacking my iphone for two years, messed it up several times so know what its like!
    Good Luck. I'm working away at my computer anyways, let me know how it goes and if you need any help.
    08-15-09 02:43 PM
    Well its loading everything up now - saw a message before clicking finish saying I need to wirelessly activate or something after isntall to continue receiving emails? Whats this about!?
    08-15-09 02:47 PM
    Well its loading everything up now - saw a message before clicking finish saying I need to wirelessly activate or something after isntall to continue receiving emails? Whats this about!?
    Probably just that u will need to set up your personal email accnts thru set up>email settings on the BIS and do an enterprise activation do start getting ur corporate emails (BES).
    Keep going!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-09 02:52 PM
    its been on the reboot clock thing after install for about 5 minutes straight, is this normal? Beginning to panick!
    08-15-09 02:54 PM
    its been on the reboot clock thing after install for about 5 minutes straight, is this normal? Beginning to panick!
    it takes time...it is normal. I think mine took like 20min to come up first time. Relax!!!

08-15-09 02:57 PM
    Did u do a clean wipe using bbsak, get the 507 error white screen then install os (with vendor xml file deleted) using apploader as per the article I sent u? If so....u r doing fine

08-15-09 02:59 PM
    It works - thanks so much - if you never need iphone help (haha) then dont hesitate to ask!
    08-15-09 02:59 PM
    It works - thanks so much - if you never need iphone help (haha) then dont hesitate to ask!
    Glad that it worked! Like I said its a little nerve racking but now u got a clean bb with os .282! U probably have to reload ur 3rd party apps!
    Where r u from? Hopefully u can pass along this to a newbee sometime soon! It was cake right?

I got my wife an iphone 3Gs when I got my bold and although it is fun, it just isn't practical for bizness
    Do u still have the iphone? Do u like it? Over the bold?

08-15-09 03:04 PM
    Living and working in London UK - I gave my iphone to my sister. Normally I would have sold it to fund the bold but she wanted it, so I shelled out. I had the iphone 2g for two years, it was very sluggish and I got bored. I love the bold over the iphone, in every way, the only downside is the browser - which is nowhere near as good as the iphones!

How do I reload third party apps that I backed up using the BBSAF? (the new one has an option to do this)
    08-15-09 03:07 PM
    Ahah I found how to reload them.
    08-15-09 03:10 PM
    Living and working in London UK - I gave my iphone to my sister. Normally I would have sold it to fund the bold but she wanted it, so I shelled out. I had the iphone 2g for two years, it was very sluggish and I got bored. I love the bold over the iphone, in every way, the only downside is the browser - which is nowhere near as good as the iphones!

How do I reload third party apps that I backed up using the BBSAF? (the new one has an option to do this)
    Never did that part. I don't use too many apps just fb and twitter so I reloaded. I would try bbsak! U can also now do it via ur desktop manager.
    I sent u my PIN via email and pm on crackberry.com. Would love to have a bb pal in the UK (never been...but will one day).

08-15-09 03:17 PM
    Ahah I found how to reload them.
    How?
    Also...did u buy any skins or screen protector for ur bold? I use the oem holster most of the time, but for the weekends was thinking about a silicone skin...but the silver bezel gets all covered up and it really takes away from the beauty of the phone. I am however looking for a good screen lcd protector..any advice?

08-15-09 03:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD