Okay so I'm a first time BB owner/user, just got mine yesterday...wasn't able to download windows live messenger onto the phone/access it (should already have an icon for it in the downloads folder) nor have any access to gps mapping, or any access to youtube. sound like a problem you're having?

First things first, there SHOULD be a small LED flashing on the top right of your unit, if it's not, you probably had the same problem as me (I didnt know this at the time)

My problem was that I had been put on an incorrect data plan...the one for regular PDA's (ie: non bb's) this is what I had been told by the Rogers' Tech support dude. My bb had switched over the the edge network temporarily while we were speaking, and he had asked if the word 'edge' was appearing in upper case or lower case letters on the unit, and I let him know that it was lower case. That told him right off the bat that I was on the wrong plan, as it should read EDGE, in all upper case letters.

Got transferred over to customer support and they switched me over to the blackberry specific 6gig data plan (same $30 price). It's just that we were fortunate enough to get a lazy dumbass who didn't realize that blackberry's require the specific blackberry data plan, not the general one.

You'll be advised to turn off your unit and take the battery out for a couple minutes while its getting added, and once I turned it back on I noticed the LED flashing intermittently, which it hadn't done before.

Cheers.
    08-26-08 05:29 PM
    Fairly common for CSRs to forget or add the incorrect plan for a BB.
    08-26-08 05:31 PM
    It's a pain in the farkin' ***. No harm done, mistakes happen.

Okay and it appears that the red LED that was flashing intermittently has currently stopped, and i noticed my phone is back on 3G, so I guess it only flashes when you're on EDGE.
    08-26-08 05:38 PM
    As far as LED notifications are concerned.... There is by default a flashing green LED to indicate service covage. If you have a signal it will flash green. And anytime you recieve a new notification, the LED will flash red. There isn't an internet service indication via LED.
    08-26-08 05:45 PM
    On my machine, out of the box the coverage indicator is turned off. Just thought I'd mention it as the setting is user-configurable.
    08-26-08 06:02 PM
    sunkast - I don't appear to have the green flash indicating coverage.

It does appear though that I don't have the red LED flashing, even whilst on the EDGE network.

so what's consistent here is the difference between 'edge' and 'EDGE'.
    08-26-08 06:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD