Or even if you flat-out don't even want to give it a chance, you need to hold one of them. OH MY GOD! Pictures/videos do NOT do it justice.

I can't get much into how/when (I'll just say that being in Waterloo this weekend had its perks ) I saw it, but I can say that this is a beautiful device. A whole new RIM...

I switched from the Torch (ugh) to the iPhone4, and was looking to getting a new Android phone, I wasn't even considering BB, but once I saw it and held it and started using it... there's no question, I'm getting one of these OS7 phones.

Keep in mind when reading this that I was not looking at the newest iteration of the phone, don't want to go into much detail here though.

First of all, the screen is massive and gorgeous, you have to see it to believe it, do not judge it by the pictures/videos. The screen is amazingly clear and plays HD video flawlessly. The 5mp camera is on some serious roids, you can't compare this to any other 5mp BB camera, it's more on par (or even better than) the iP4 camera, which is saying something. Secondly, the build quality of the phone is phenomenal. Thin, light, solid, amazing. I would say it is about the same thickness of my iPhone4 with my incase on it, astounding. Thirdly, and IMO most importantly, the software. It's as if RIM suddenly opened their eyes and looked on the Crackberry forum (which I can confirm they actually do look at!!!) and actually made the device around what people were complaining about. I literally could not believe I was holding a RIM device in my hands. Butter-smooth UI, you could throw anything at it and it was SO fast, opening applications faster than my iPhone 4. What hourglass? This software leaves iOS in the dust. Browser is simply incredible, I can definitely see why they decided to make this OS7, instead of 6.1, an incremental update would not do this justice. I'm floored.

Unfortunately I could not use it long, the guy was pretty busy (thank you very much if you are reading this!), and I would also like to say that RIM is by no means in as bad of shape as the media would like us to believe. He said he is astounded at all the garbage the media is spewing about RIM, and that he highly doubts that the letter from the supposed "executive" or any other letters are legit. He said that it was indeed a stressful workplace, but that is par for the course in a bleeding-edge technology organization. It is nowhere near the zoo that the media is reporting it to be. Anyways, I feel like I'm forgetting so much stuff that he told me, but I feel I am starting to ramble, so I will end it here.

Thanks again if you are reading this dude! Hope I didn't get you in trouble, I think I was vague enough
    Last edited by 01itr; 07-24-11 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Spelling mistakes :(
    07-24-11 07:55 PM
    I hope we all are as excited when the 9900/9930 is available.
    07-24-11 08:03 PM
    I want it so bad! RIM needs to release this ASAP to appease the masses!
    07-24-11 08:08 PM
    are u serious?
    Dead serious. Even as an iPhone4 owner and Google advocate, this phone is amazing. I simply can not believe it was a Blackberry. Just incredible...
    07-24-11 08:11 PM
    I want it so bad! RIM needs to release this ASAP to appease the masses!
    It's in the carrier's court now, the phone is finished. We have to wait until the carrier's deem is the perfect time to release the phone to make the most profit. Maybe they will time it when they know a lot of subs will be looking to renew, or maybe they will time it so it is in a lull of Android releases. I have no idea, but I do know that we are waiting on the carriers now.
    07-24-11 08:13 PM
    The "phone" has been finished. The software however is not. If it were, it would be on the market by now. This isn't some amazingly huge conspiracy of carriers worldwide to not release RIM's latest device. It takes more than 10 minutes(heck even an hour) with the device to see how it operates & pick out all defects.
    Yes it's close. And yes it's well made. It'll be made available soon. It will be ready for "prime time" soon.
    jacmeister68, 01itr and kbz1960 like this.
    07-24-11 08:41 PM
    The "phone" has been finished. The software however is not. If it were, it would be on the market by now. This isn't some amazingly huge conspiracy of carriers worldwide to not release RIM's latest device. It takes more than 10 minutes(heck even an hour) with the device to see how it operates & pick out all defects.
    Yes it's close. And yes it's well made. It'll be made available soon. It will be ready for "prime time" soon.
    This day is just full of good news! This honestly reinstills (this is a word right?) my hope in RIM, which was a little devastated after the somewhat unfinished Playbook release. It seems RIM is learning from their past mistakes, and this is one of the most important characteristics in a successful company.

F yeah RIM!! If only I had the disposable income to invest in their stock
    07-24-11 09:10 PM
    Or even if you flat-out don't even want to give it a chance, you need to hold one of them. OH MY GOD! Pictures/videos do NOT do it justice.

I can't get much into how/when (I'll just say that being in Waterloo this weekend had its perks ) I saw it, but I can say that this is a beautiful device. A whole new RIM...

I switched from the Torch (ugh) to the iPhone4, and was looking to getting a new Android phone, I wasn't even considering BB, but once I saw it and held it and started using it... there's no question, I'm getting one of these OS7 phones.

Keep in mind when reading this that I was not looking at the newest iteration of the phone, don't want to go into much detail here though.

First of all, the screen is massive and gorgeous, you have to see it to believe it, do not judge it by the pictures/videos. The screen is amazingly clear and plays HD video flawlessly. The 5mp camera is on some serious roids, you can't compare this to any other 5mp BB camera, it's more on par (or even better than) the iP4 camera, which is saying something. Secondly, the build quality of the phone is phenomenal. Thin, light, solid, amazing. I would say it is about the same thickness of my iPhone4 with my incase on it, astounding. Thirdly, and IMO most importantly, the software. It's as if RIM suddenly opened their eyes and looked on the Crackberry forum (which I can confirm they actually do look at!!!) and actually made the device around what people were complaining about. I literally could not believe I was holding a RIM device in my hands. Butter-smooth UI, you could throw anything at it and it was SO fast, opening applications faster than my iPhone 4. What hourglass? This software leaves iOS in the dust. Browser is simply incredible, I can definitely see why they decided to make this OS7, instead of 6.1, an incremental update would not do this justice. I'm floored.

Unfortunately I could not use it long, the guy was pretty busy (thank you very much if you are reading this!), and I would also like to say that RIM is by no means in as bad of shape as the media would like us to believe. He said he is astounded at all the garbage the media is spewing about RIM, and that he highly doubts that the letter from the supposed "executive" or any other letters are legit. He said that it was indeed a stressful workplace, but that is par for the course in a bleeding-edge technology organization. It is nowhere near the zoo that the media is reporting it to be. Anyways, I feel like I'm forgetting so much stuff that he told me, but I feel I am starting to ramble, so I will end it here.

Thanks again if you are reading this dude! Hope I didn't get you in trouble, I think I was vague enough
    Any thing new you are hearing about QNX BlackBerries since you were in waterloo??
    07-24-11 09:15 PM
    This is obviously great news. I am happy for RIM and the Crackberry fans. Competition is the only thing that keeps one company from becoming stagnant and feeding us garbage. It is driving RIM to produce better devices.

Now if they can get it to where I HDMI out for Powerpoint presentations and hook up a bluetooth keyboard (RIM, did I mention I would buy one from you for $100), then I wouldn't go to iPhone 5.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-11 09:18 PM
    This is obviously great news. I am happy for RIM and the Crackberry fans. Competition is the only thing that keeps one company from becoming stagnant and feeding us garbage. It is driving RIM to produce better devices.

Now if they can get it to where I HDMI out for Powerpoint presentations and hook up a bluetooth keyboard (RIM, did I mention I would buy one from you for $100), then I wouldn't go to iPhone 5.

The Playbook does the HDMI out, and BT Keyboard

What I WISH is that I could run the Powerpoint on my playbook from my blackberry clicking through the slides!! I really do not like being tethered to the device connected to the projector
    07-24-11 09:21 PM
    Any thing new you are hearing about QNX BlackBerries since you were in waterloo??
    He said word around the company is Q1 next year, but he is in no way connected to the QNX development, so it could vary.
    purijagmohan likes this.
    07-24-11 09:21 PM

What I WISH is that I could run the Powerpoint on my playbook from my blackberry clicking through the slides!! I really do not like being tethered to the device connected to the projector
    I think the BB Bridge is just scratching the surface of the potential the phones have with the tablet. I think once we start seeing QNX phones come out, we will see some really cool things with the interoperability(?) of the phones and tablets
    07-24-11 09:23 PM
    I think the BB Bridge is just scratching the surface of the potential the phones have with the tablet. I think once we start seeing QNX phones come out, we will see some really cool things with the interoperability(?) of the phones and tablets
    I never really thought about that but it is a great point. I love the bridge functionality. I know it is often spun as a weakness by many as is the android player. But in my mind these are true advances. It seems the other platforms are just slapping higher processors on their devices and mega mp cameras or trying to message as well as BB. I have no issue with that but some of the stuff we are seeing with the playbook is truly innovative in my opinion.
    07-24-11 09:29 PM
    I never really thought about that but it is a great point. I love the bridge functionality. I know it is often spun as a weakness by many as is the android player. But in my mind these are true advances. It seems the other platforms are just slapping higher processors on their devices and mega mp cameras or trying to message as well as BB. I have no issue with that but some of the stuff we are seeing with the playbook is truly innovative in my opinion.
    I especially like your point about the processors. The software has a monumental impact on the the devices, more than most people realize. Take for example iPhone vs Samsung Galaxy S2 or something. iPhone 4 has 512mb RAM, while the S2 has 1GB. However, which one runs smoother? Again, compare the iP4 to the BB Torch. Both have 5MP cameras, but the iP4 camera makes the Torch's look like it was taken with a $5 disposable. Sure you can slap a 100Ghz processor on a device, but whats the use if the software doesn't even utilize it correctly. Just a huge battery drain.

Reminds me of the old style of making cars: want more horsepower? add more displacement! That is until Honda started coming in making 1.8L that ran circles around them
    andino likes this.
    07-24-11 09:38 PM
    I would be wary of such a positive review - I've read similar ones about the POS Storm 2 I once had. That experience alone had killed my confidence in RIM. IMO the Curve 8520 would be an upgrade to the Storm 2 9520, but I'm just ranting here.

Better to err on the side of caution by waiting for user reviews within a month of the phone's release. I would rather read more about the bad about a product rather than the good, though.
    01itr and Blacklatino like this.
    07-24-11 09:40 PM

I have an iPad and had a Playbook. Took the Playbook back due to many issues. Don't really want to carry around a bunch of devices though. If I get Iphone I plan on getting rid of ipad and using it for everything.

The iphone and ipod touch can BT control an ipad keynote presentation.

07-24-11 09:50 PM
    I would be wary of such a positive review - I've read similar ones about the POS Storm 2 I once had. That experience alone had killed my confidence in RIM. IMO the Curve 8520 would be an upgrade to the Storm 2 9520, but I'm just ranting here.

Better to err on the side of caution by waiting for user reviews within a month of the phone's release. I would rather read more about the bad about a product rather than the good, though.
    You are wise to be wary of positive reviews, I would be just as wary if I saw this review by someone.

My advice to anyone getting a new device, whether it tablet or phone or anything. Find out the return policy, and buy it with the intention of returning it at the end of that policy (dont tell them this of course). This will allow you to use the device first-hand, this is invaluable in the current market of tablets and smartphones. I've been through 3 tablets and a few phones doing this, and it has saved me a great deal of money in the long run.

Sure user reviews are great, but the most important opinion is your own.

PS - be extra careful when doing this with phone companies, as they usually have 2 or more criteria that must be met to be valid to return the phone. (ie Within 14 days AND < 30 minutes talk time)
    07-24-11 09:50 PM
    @01itr - Thank you for your kind words What I would really want to read are bug reports/hardware defects. Even then, I'd be careful reading them, since I bought my Bold 9780 with confidence and still enjoy using it despite reading about the seemingly widespread keyboard stutter issues.

It would be interesting to put the Bold Touch into the hands of an iPhone/Android fanboy and read their comments.
    07-24-11 10:07 PM
    @01itr - Thank you for your kind words What I would really want to read are bug reports/hardware defects. Even then, I'd be careful reading them, since I bought my Bold 9780 with confidence and still enjoy using it despite reading about the seemingly widespread keyboard stutter issues.

It would be interesting to put the Bold Touch into the hands of an iPhone/Android fanboy and read their comments.
    Another thing to look for is analysts. Usually their reviews are a means to further their own goals. For instance, if you look at the analysts who are slamming RIM right now, most of them show their standings, and lo and behold, they are shorting RIMM! So they are forcing the stock lower with a ton of negative media, and cashing in on it!

Anyways, it's always a smart move to wait until the devices are released and reviewed, and to check different sites, making sure you are getting a good variety of differently biased websites (they are all biased one way or the other, even if it is only slightly)
    07-24-11 10:21 PM
    "RIM reads these forums" - I have no doubt, just like I have no doubt they occasionally post positive stuff about RIM on it themselves

07-24-11 10:37 PM

I think there is a device called the BB Presenter from RIM that will take your Presentation files from your berry and wirelessly put it on your screen.

07-24-11 10:44 PM
    "RIM reads these forums" - I have no doubt, just like I have no doubt they occasionally post positive stuff about RIM on it themselves

If you are implying that I work for RIM:
    1) I wish
    2) Check my threads/posts

07-24-11 10:44 PM
    Speaking as I am with other current owners of this device, I can understand your enthusiasm. Even with early release software it blows other BlackBerrys out of the water.

I am glad to see you're excited and 'putting it out there', for we've definitely had more than enough RIM epitaphs and eulogies written in the last few months.

Nice thread!

07-24-11 11:17 PM
    Don't know if I'm going to get this phone. I've waited so long for it and by march at the latest we will possibly see a qnx phone. I got my 9650 on launch day and still have another 11 months until my contract is up so let's see what's on the horizon for june'ish time next year when I need a device. I wish I could drop the $ on this phone to buy it outright but its not going to happen, besides my 9650 is still running strong!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    07-24-11 11:30 PM
    this is an awesome post! But im really getting tired of watching videos and looking at pics, I just want this phone already!!!!
    07-25-11 02:59 AM
88 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD