First of all sorry for the long post.
    Ok here's my ordeal. A friend of mine purchased her Bold and something was the matter with it so after a while she complained to the store who asked her to return the phone for a replacement. In the meantime her information etc was on the phone. She did a backup and wiped the phone and returned to the store. The store resold the phone and the new owner, another friend of mine (this is a small island) calls me about her phone not working since it's registered to another user (most of my friends come to me with their BB issues). I told her if that was the case there was nothing she could do except to return the phone b/c unless the original owner doesn't release it she can't use it.
    In the mean time she said she requested the user name and password from the phone to see if she'd get anything in return (like you do when you forget your password). I told her that won't work as that will most probably just reply to the original owner anyway. Then she did a battery pull and she got all excited b/c it started to 'work.' She was getting emails, facebook, etc on the phone but when she went into the emails etc she realized she was getting my other friend's emails etc.
    So my question is, how did this happen? My friend is certain she wiped the phone before returning to the store and is petrified that all her personal information is out there.

Another thing is, why wasn't the pin released once my friend did the switch.
    Isn't that all you need to release the pin? Why was the phone saying registered to another user. It just doesn't make any sense.

My friend who purchased the phone for the second time is now ready to return the phone for another but now my friend who had the phone first is worried that the same will happen with "the next buyer."
    What should she (or me since I know I'll have to take care of this for her) do to make sure the phone is totally wiped and released?

Thanks in advance guys!
    11-24-08 10:49 AM
    That should solve it, the question is, when the old phone was receiving all the e-mails and FB msgs, was her new phone receiving them as well?
    11-24-08 11:06 AM
    What should solve it?

Well yes, the new phone my original friend has now receives her emails etc.
    I think the phone my second friend has is just "reinstating" the info that was already there. Actually i just called her and she said she's received emails up to Friday.
    Now I'm trying to call my other friend to ask her if she's getting her emails on this new phone but I am not getting any answer.

She did the switch...that I know. This is not the first BB. She's had the Pearl, Curve, and now the Bold. So she knows what she's doing as far as switching phones etc.
    It's just so weird.
    11-24-08 11:21 AM
    That's strange. I did a handheld wipe of my 8820, then went through the device and nothing was left behind... Maybe BIS sent service books to that device after it was wiped and therefore it reinitialized the email?
    11-24-08 01:15 PM
    I have a feeling your friend did not change her PIN on the BIS site.

Your friend needs to log into BIS for your carrier and change her PIN.
    11-24-08 01:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD