Hello again,

Having followed the forums carefully and read the entirety of Kevin's post about browser issues, I think I am either going to pass on buying the Bold or at least wait a good while.

I just do not see the point of getting a device which has such poor/glitchy/non existent web capabilities and so many 3G/WiFi issues. If I wanted a Blackberry just for email, I would buy a curve. The whole point of the Bold is its multimedia capabilities and web is at the top of my lost for important multimedia capabilities (I need good access to the web on the move for my work).

It's sad but I think RIM may have lost me...

Anyone else feel the same?

Nick
    08-30-08 09:10 AM
    You raise a lot of good points. I'm in two minds. Kevin's report was concerning. You'd have thought that these things would have been ironed out before releasing the phone. The loss of 3g signal for some of the users in the UK is a worry as is the memory issue others are having

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-08 09:18 AM
    I don't really want it anymore either. I was thinking about getting a Bold or an Ipod touch, but after hering of all these issues, I think I'll stick with my 8820 and get a touch for my money. I just hope RIM Releases 4.5 sometime this century.

08-30-08 09:27 AM
    interesting to see that I am not alone, sad as it is...
    08-30-08 09:32 AM
    I was considering this too. When AT&T finally releases it, let's hope they are all ironed out by then, but I'm still going to wait until reviews start coming in on the AT&T model before I even make a decision as to whether I still want to pick one up or not.

If not, looks like I'll wait and see how the Javelin pans out.
    08-30-08 09:38 AM
    the pros outweigh the cons. I dont regret taking the leap. Dont even want to think about my curve or 8800 anymore.
    08-30-08 09:50 AM
    Im really thinking AT&T knows (or knew) about these issues and that is why we haven't seen it yet. Maybe Rogers jumped the gun? There has been a lot of discussion about how AT&T wants the device to be perfect and flaw-free and I am starting to think this is the case. I still want one and will have one but like a lot of others here, j decided to wait it out instead of importing a Rogers device.

08-30-08 10:24 AM
    I am concerned too, what's the point of having a BB, when it cannot deliver on such features which are pretty much standard on other competing handsets like Iphone, HTC diamond, etc, it's a shambles. This 'would' have been my first purchase of a BB, but RIM has really disappointed me along with it's loyal fan base.
    08-30-08 10:44 AM
    I am concerned too, what's the point of having a BB, when it cannot deliver on such features which are pretty much standard on other competing handsets like Iphone, HTC diamond, etc, it's a shambles. This 'would' have been my first purchase of a BB, but RIM has really disappointed me along with it's loyal fan base.
    Right now most the issues revolve around the browser. If anyone goes to get a BB for its browser, should think again. Anyone who has used different phones knows that all the phones you mentioned have better broswers than BB's anyways.
    08-30-08 11:00 AM
    I know RIM/Orange etc will be updating the software pretty snappily over the coming months. Something that NEVER happened with my LG phone that left me with a very sour opinion of that company.

I've bought the Bold for GPS, email and overall useability. A great browser is a bonus for my intended use.
    08-30-08 11:05 AM
    Hello again,

Having followed the forums carefully and read the entirety of Kevin's post about browser issues, I think I am either going to pass on buying the Bold or at least wait a good while.

I just do not see the point of getting a device which has such poor/glitchy/non existent web capabilities and so many 3G/WiFi issues. If I wanted a Blackberry just for email, I would buy a curve. The whole point of the Bold is its multimedia capabilities and web is at the top of my lost for important multimedia capabilities (I need good access to the web on the move for my work).

It's sad but I think RIM may have lost me...

Anyone else feel the same?

Nick
    Did you decide to go with the Nokia?

As with everyone else, I have had it with waiting for the Bold release. Im not even going to think about it until after 9/9 ... hopefully PG will have an update

All I know is, after all this, the phone better be PERFECT!
    08-30-08 11:13 AM
    I can see everyones concern but these issue should be fixed in a matter of weeks we're talking about RIMs flagship device here. This is the next generation of blackberries and their focus is almost entirely devoted to this product. A new OS in testing at AT&T is showing promising results. Granted some people have mixed reviews on other networks with the leaked copies but its my opinion that it was specific to AT&T. Given the opportunity I would purchase a bold today. Its not the hardware that's faulty so there's no reason why a bold bought today won't be as good as one bought 3 months from now.

08-30-08 01:40 PM
    I'm going to stick with my Curve for awhile. From what I have seem from Apple to Samsung and more, when the new technology first hits there are always glitches. I'm just going to play it safe
    08-30-08 02:11 PM
    Well my 2 cents,

I am a graphic artist and tech guy - I have tried all smart phones and iphones
    graphics and media is a way of life for me. having said that here are some
    points of interest on part of the bold.

32 GIG removable micro SD CArd Access

no need for special software to upload or download files
    like pictures or videos, or any thing for that matter - the bold loads
    up on the mac like a USB drive full access no restrictions. I know
    the iphone can't be used with out itunes very much controlled

Sound Quality is great, Video Quality is Great

with .134 S/W update and a Current SIM on 3G you will get
    good speed for browsing web pages. I am and have tested it
    on all kinds of sites. And thats with javascript running

there are many features including security that are far superior on
    blackberry than other phones...

so do consider these points - I was a bit bent out of shape until
    I did the s/w upgrade and had the right SIM installed. ( big changes )

yes I am on rogers - with Blackberry Bold, used to run a Curve,
    before strictly Sony Ericson
    08-30-08 02:51 PM
    thanks a lot for all your replies, they are really useful.

Just out of interest, why does a new sim card make a difference??? Mine has seen me through several phones, maybe the time has come to get a new one anyway!!!!1
    08-30-08 03:52 PM
    thanks a lot for all your replies, they are really useful.

Just out of interest, why does a new sim card make a difference??? Mine has seen me through several phones, maybe the time has come to get a new one anyway!!!!1
    as long as its a HSPDA/3G sim card you should be good to go.
    08-30-08 05:55 PM
    the browser only bogs down when u enable javascript.

i dont think i have ever enabled it on any of my berries. so my browsing experience hasnt changed at all.

if u need JS then, well its straight up buggered.
    08-30-08 11:18 PM
    Having problems with a new release is nothing new with smartphones, other cells, software programs, etc. It's not just RIM's bold. Just look at all the problems the iphone 3G is having even after the couple patches they still have people upset over problems with the model. Seems like every day I am seeing some news article on well they still have such and such problem even though they fix such and such. Or such and such new problem crops up with a new patch.

08-30-08 11:34 PM
    These are all great thoughts and something to consider. I will be a first time BB owner if I decide to get the Bold. I will, however, wait awhile after the release to AT&T to see what, if any, issues they have with the bold.

Of course I will be on here to read all the posts from other users to make my final decision.
    08-31-08 12:35 AM
    I actually had a Pearl for a month, then the iphone came out, got that, then got the new 3g iphone the day it came out, but just got to tired of all its lagging, crashing, dropping problems and remembered how i never had a problem with my pearl, so i switched back to a BB and got the 8310 curve (needed the camera vs the 8820 with wifi).

However, i did this about 8/27/08, a ~month away from the Bolds "release" date for ATT. I think the bold looks awesome and all, and should be amazing, and i do have the bug up my you know what to get it just because its the latest and greatest BB, but after being so disappointed by the iphone from its release, and how happy i am with the curve, i think i will keep it or a while when the only MAJOR upgrades are the media areas (and that doesn't interest me to much at all).

All in all, i think the BOLD will be great, but for people who are satisfied with a 83xx or 8820 of sorts (basically just a current gen BB) i dont think itll be that much of a "NEED TO GET" upgrade unless you are a big media person/and or always get the new thing.
    09-01-08 12:01 AM

I think the bold looks awesome and all, and should be amazing, and i do have the bug up my you know what to get it just because its the latest and greatest BB, but after being so disappointed by the iphone from its release, and how happy i am with the curve, i think i will keep it or a while when the only MAJOR upgrades are the media areas (and that doesn't interest me to much at all).

All in all, i think the BOLD will be great, but for people who are satisfied with a 83xx or 8820 of sorts (basically just a current gen BB) i dont think itll be that much of a "NEED TO GET" upgrade unless you are a big media person/and or always get the new thing.
    I disagree, I dont care much for multimedia like, music, videos or pics when it comes to phones but I consider the BOLD a huge upgrade, the biggest upgrade blackberry has ever given. TRUE 3G/ HSDPA, voice and data at the same time blow all the other blackberries away.
    09-01-08 03:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD