This is crazy - I have had my O2 9900 since it came out in the UK last week. I have tried to love it but it is just not doing it for me. As I still have my old 9000 sitting in its charging cradle on my desk with a spare SIM fitted, I am well placed to make comparison.

I just don't know where to start so will make a short list of some of the disappointments:

* Apps seem to take longer to load

* The keyboard is not as good for my large hands - I can't see why but I make more mistakes on the 9900.

* The speaker is not a patch on the 9000 speaker and is above all muffled and less clear during a phone call.

* Whilst the touch screen is fun, in reality I really don't use it. There is just not enough 'real estate' for web browsing (perhaps I should try the Torch 9850) and I manage just as well with the touch pad or scroll button on the 9000.

* Yes the 9900 is pretty and yes it probably does have faster wi-fi connection but I just feel that RIM is trying to outdo Apple in this handset whilst igoring the core, adult business user.

A final point. I was amazed to see how RIM has ripped-off iPhone packaging. Compared with the stout box that the 9000 was delivered in, we now have a dinky iPhone-alike box with seemingly identical peel-off transparent plastic covers to the plugs.

So, all-in-all, this has turned out to be a big let down and I am selling the 9900 and going back to my faithfully 9000 until the Torch becomes available. Oh well.
    lase532 likes this.
    08-28-11 05:57 AM
    * The keyboard is not as good for my large hands - I can't see why but I make more mistakes on the 9900.

The keyboards on the 9900 and the 9000 the same if not bigger on the 9900. Feels small for you?

Apps take ages to load and they load faster on your 9000 with 128 MB of memory? Right........tells me enough

Please sell it and don't tell us about your worries

I never see the point in these useless threads, what are we supposed to do for you? Want a cookie?
    Last edited by technology-fanboy; 08-28-11 at 06:11 AM.
    market58 and Omar20v like this.
    08-28-11 06:01 AM
    That's crazy talk. I will sell you my old one if you want a spare...
    08-28-11 06:03 AM
    I thought the 9900 keyboard was 6% bigger?
    Omar20v and Jake2826 like this.
    08-28-11 06:10 AM
    Sorry for your experience.

I used 9000 too for along time but 9900 out-weight 9000.

You can't compare the two.

From your first bullet point. I think you need to upgrade your OS if its giving you issue.

Secondly, I don't get how you are making more mistakes on a bigger keyboard (when the key positions were not changed). I had same/almost same issue with the keyboard because I was moving from 9800 but my fingers flowed with the keyboard in 2 days (although I'm a constant user). There must be other explanation for your problem.

Thirdly, I haven't received much calls on my 9900 to notice any difference; but I don't doubt you because RIM reduced the capacity of the 9900 battery (compared to 9000). So it won't be surprising if they did the same stunt on the speakers.

As for your other points. I don't know why that is a complain. For example, I don't see anything wrong if they wrap their charger like apple? As long as the charger is high quality and its working. Haven't you opened a sony laptop to finad out that the hard disk is toshiba and the RAM is hp? (Wink)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-11 06:15 AM
    Sounds like the bozo op shorted rimm @ $28usd. Can you say margin call?
    I wish I knew what you just wrote....

I posted my thoughts to see if I am the only person to be disappointed. So far, it appears that I am in a select group of 1. I have been waiting with an upgrade option for three months for this phone to be released and am a dyed-in-the-wool Blackberry fan. But perhaps the difference in opinion is down to small things and personal usage.

I mostly used my BB for phone calls (surpise, surprise), a limited amount of texts and above all to have immediate notification from my email accounts. Combined with BeBuzz, this is the only reason I stick with Blackberry. If Apple had the same push system and secure servers as RIM, why would anyone stay with Bold/Curves etc.? But Apple doesn't so, and I repeat, I am a great fan of the Bold experience which fills my needs.

But the 9900 has moved the game not only forwards for RIM, but sideways as well. It is clear that the demographic of the typical Blackberry user has expanded to include 'youth' as well as the corporate user, and the use of BB Messenger to foment the recent UK riots just emphasises how much the game has changed.

But I am not interested in BBM, I use my laptop to connect to the web, and I expected the 9900 to take the game on. Well for the reasons I listed and for the usage that I explain, I still think that the 9000 is a more effective and sharper tool.

One final point. I mention a shift towards Apple packaging not to denigrate the packaging but to demostrate that the target market has shifted for RIM. I have just received the new desktop dock for the 9900 and it is also not a patch on that produced for the 9900. It looks more like an iPhone dock and the 9900 is not held at all securely. The 9000 dock is foolproof, solid and resistant to clumsy phone insertion. Get it wrong on the new dock, and the 9900 will go flying.

So, a troll seeking attention................qui moi .
    08-28-11 06:46 AM
    Lol.
    He has a right to complain, considering that he bought it off contract at a high price.

08-28-11 06:49 AM
    I knew that I had forgotten something.

Whilst the Universal Search function is very clever, I miss the ability of being able to type a telephone number from 'cold' without having to hit the 'call' button first. On the 9000, the numbers come up in big script, easy on the eye and useful when you wear glasses. The 9900 only gives it out in small type in the address bar. perhaps there is a way of changing the keyboard priority to move search to a secondary position - I clearly make more calls than I do searches.

And yes, RIM say the keyboard is bigger and better - but I still am making more mistakes on the 9900 than the 9000. Go figure, I can't.
    08-28-11 06:51 AM
    And yes, RIM say the keyboard is bigger and better - but I still am making more mistakes on the 9900 than the 9000. Go figure, I can't.
    so how do you want us to help you?

Return it and enough already!
    08-28-11 06:56 AM
    I'm sure there will be solutions to any of your problem. All you need is patience to search for a solution online.

08-28-11 06:59 AM
    so how do you want us to help you?

Return it and enough already!
    I clearly am going to return it whilst awaiting the release of the other new BBs. But I am not seeking help, my friend, just sharing some thoughts to see if anyone else has similar. It may well be that I am alone in the world in preferring the older model and it doesn't bother me one bit - I am not interested in trying to compete wth the latest and brightest.

That said, I think that it is fair to show a product as a cynic might view it as well as praising it to the moon. And if these comments help another forumite come to a different (or the same) opinion, then my time has not been wasted. For example, I have very large hands and I realise that the extra thickness of the 9000 is the reason why my thumbs attack the keyboard differently on the thinner 9900 - hence more typing errors. This is marginal and I could get used to it - but it is still valid to mention it.
    rstrathman likes this.
    08-28-11 07:43 AM
    I can see both sides of this guys opinion.

1 - the Bold 9900 keyboard feels more sensitive that my old 9780 and having ignored my 9780 for 6 days and gone back to it today to check some settings I do think the 9780 size is better but the 9900 keyboard is better my a country mile. I am quicker and more accurate on the 9900.

2 - typing on a 9860 I read you say - having used a Storm 2 for about 9 months I will tell you that you will find that even more annoying than the 9900. The Alt and Shift functions require you wait for the keyboard to change and then back again to keep typing and this takes time to get things right.

3 - packaging - my Vodafone UK 9900 arrived in a big box like Kevin's review box - nothing like the iPhone packaging which could be said of cheaper models like the 9300 packaging for example.
    08-28-11 07:59 AM
    This is crazy - I have had my O2 9900 since it came out in the UK last week. I have tried to love it but it is just not doing it for me. As I still have my old 9000 sitting in its charging cradle on my desk with a spare SIM fitted, I am well placed to make comparison.

I just don't know where to start so will make a short list of some of the disappointments:

* Apps seem to take longer to load

* The speaker is not a patch on the 9000 speaker and is above all muffled and less clear during a phone call.

* Whilst the touch screen is fun, in reality I really don't use it. There is just not enough 'real estate' for web browsing (perhaps I should try the Torch 9850) and I manage just as well with the touch pad or scroll button on the 9000.

* Yes the 9900 is pretty and yes it probably does have faster wi-fi connection but I just feel that RIM is trying to outdo Apple in this handset whilst igoring the core, adult business user.

A final point. I was amazed to see how RIM has ripped-off iPhone packaging. Compared with the stout box that the 9000 was delivered in, we now have a dinky iPhone-alike box with seemingly identical peel-off transparent plastic covers to the plugs.

So, all-in-all, this has turned out to be a big let down and I am selling the 9900 and going back to my faithfully 9000 until the Torch becomes available. Oh well.
    If apps are taking longer to load on your 9900 vs your 9000 something is wrong with your 9900. It should be much faster.

No idea why you'd be typing more mistakes on the 9900, it is a fact that it is a larger keyboard. Maybe you just have to get used to the different feel of the feedback perhaps.

Yes there is only one speaker on the 9900 compared to two, but it's still pretty loud and clear. The handset volume is also fine.

If you don't use the touchscreen anyway why does it matter? There's definitely enough real estate to use pinch to zoom which has been very helpful for me.

"identical peel off transparent plastic covers" are you talking about the protective plastic films that are on pretty much all new electronics these days when you first buy them? You're actually complaining about the box that the phone came in?

Sounds like you just wanted to make a list of nitpicks that aren't really that valid, ran out of ideas and put in some nonsense at the end.
    mike448 and market58 like this.
    08-28-11 08:04 AM
    These are some of the oddest complaints I have seen. I went back and tested my 9000 and I was the opposite.

I felt the 9900 was leaps better. I do agree completely about the charging doc. The 9900 sucks compared to all prior models from the 9000 to the 9780
    08-28-11 08:37 AM
  15. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    hmmm sounds like a Troll to me ...
    I have both ... in fact, I have been using the Bold 9900 since August 9th ...
    its brilliant!! ..... super easy to use, very fast and incredibly functional ... Best in Class IMO ....
    08-28-11 08:46 AM
    I wanted to buy 9900 today and I was very disappointed. It looks and feels like a cheap plastic phone. Too light, touchscreen is not very responsive, keyboard plastic is too thin. It is the worst phone ever! I stuck with 9000 forever.

Booooooooooo, RIM! CEO should be fired! They went the same way like any other manufacturer! 9000 had weight and class and 9900 has nothing!

Blackberry right now is nothing but an ordinary cheap plastic disposable phone! Disgusting!
    08-28-11 08:55 AM
    The peel-off cover I was specifically referring to was on the plug. Neat, BB logo branded and very much like Apple does it and unlike previous Blackberry packaging. And ****, why can't we just have an adult conversation about matters interesting to us without throwing out insults. Do we all have to agree with you?
    tampasoccer likes this.
    08-28-11 08:57 AM
    The peel-off cover I was specifically referring to was on the plug. Neat, BB logo branded and very much like Apple does it and unlike previous Blackberry packaging. And ****, why can't we just have an adult conversation about matters interesting to us without throwing out insults. Do we all have to agree with you?
    What algorithm is being used to censor this site? I just wrote h**l (the opposite of heaven) and I end up with 4 asterisks .
    08-28-11 09:02 AM
    Lately there's too many trolls and haters on here. The 9900/9930 is RIM's best blackberry yet. No doubt about it and nuff freakin said. If u don't like the 9900...return it and have a great day...no need to bash and troll around here

08-28-11 09:19 AM
    Lately there's too many trolls and haters on here. The 9900/9930 is RIM's best blackberry yet. No doubt about it and nuff freakin said. If u don't like the 9900...return it and have a great day...no need to bash and troll around here
    Who's trolling? The topic says "I prefer my old 9000". I do prefer 9000 and don't like 9900 at all. IMO it is cheap looking phone. I was expecting it to be better than 9000, but it isn't and I have very bad impression. I don't recall 9000 having so many negative comments... This time RIM really messed up.
    oldrascal likes this.
    08-28-11 09:27 AM
    In my opinion RIM hasn't messed up nothing. The positive reviews on this phone on CB and internet outweigh the negative reviews by others. I've used and owned many blackberrys devices and this is by far the best ever. I respect ur opinion...but I'm just saying. The 9000 was an awesome phone...no doubt about it. But the 9900/9930 have pretty much replaced it. Who doesn't want more speed/better screen/lighter/thinner phone. Ne-ways enjoy ur 9000...its still a great phone.

08-28-11 09:35 AM
    Hey, at least the OP didn't complain about the camera! (But I do agree about the speakers.)
    08-28-11 09:36 AM
    Geez why are yall so harsh. OP just saying prefers the 9000 which is still a BB. Dont see why he has to be trolling
    oldrascal likes this.
    08-28-11 09:38 AM

Why would my thoughts about usage of both the 9000 and 9900 be considered 'trolling', if by that you meant inflammatory? How thin-skinned do you have to be about an inanimate object to start being so huffy (rhetorical question by the way). Why personalise and trash an intelligent (well literate at the very least) man's views just because yours are different (more rhetoric etc. etc.).

It does seem that, on this forum and by some members at least, it is frowned upon to debate and discuss intelligently or are you just so tongue-tied and illiterate that only insults spring freely from your befuddled mind - (this is such fun, I really didn't understand why so many posts were insulting, but it is indeed liberating to be a horse's a**s).

Oh well, have to rush - I'm back to the debating society after a nice cup of tea. Pip pip
    08-28-11 09:43 AM
    Hey OP, would want to give you a "thanks" for your feedback on the 9900 but I'm using my 9780 right now on the mobile site. Your posts are not "wasted", in fact it helps people including myself who are considering to get the 9900. It's just that anyone who does not support RIM or shows the slightest dislike for BB phones on CB forums are labelled as trolls, iPhone/Android fanboys, people who don't use their phones for serious work blahblahblah. I know because i have legitimate complaints about the BB platform and tried to comment on them here. Instead of getting any help or workarounds, I get the one-line zingers like "go back to your iPhone" or "sell your BB" or whatever.

CrackBerry forums should be just renamed to CrackBerry Fanboy forums.

kevinnugent and oldrascal like this.
    08-28-11 09:55 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD