I feel like I must have been. I know, I know, "you can just add your GMail account to your phone via the enhanced gmail plug-in," or "just log into gmail.com from your Blackberry browser." Maybe I'm a slave to familiarity, but I was able to use the GMail App (version 2.0.7) way past the time GMail stopped supporting it. It actually worked with no problems up until this past Friday night. I just keep getting that" unexpected server response" or "an error has occurred." I tried downloading previous versions (although I've not gone back to the pre-2.0.5 days), but was realizing that no one else seems to be having this issue. Maybe I am the last of a dying breed (and I do need to buy a Q10), but I'm just wondering: is anyone else having these issues?
    01-12-14 09:05 AM
    You may actually have been the last person using it..

I never saw the point myself, on BB10 its a non starter since the gmail app doesn't work, that said I'm not sure why anyone would want it to anyway.. the hub is awesome, but even on my 9900 I always preferred the native unified inbox.. I hadn't been using the gmail app even before support was discontinued.
    01-12-14 11:25 AM
    You may actually have been the last person using it..

I never saw the point myself, on BB10 its a non starter since the gmail app doesn't work, that said I'm not sure why anyone would want it to anyway.. the hub is awesome, but even on my 9900 I always preferred the native unified inbox.. I hadn't been using the gmail app even before support was discontinued.
    One of my loves was being able to shut the GMail app when I didn't want to look at my email. I get a lot of email, and with FB, Twitter, and other apps notifying me of things, I didn't want my email making my phone buzz/bleep/whatever every now and again. I figure it's me being stubborn and I'll have to have it load into the native anyways.
    01-12-14 11:45 AM
    One of my loves was being able to shut the GMail app when I didn't want to look at my email. I get a lot of email, and with FB, Twitter, and other apps notifying me of things, I didn't want my email making my phone buzz/bleep/whatever every now and again. I figure it's me being stubborn and I'll have to have it load into the native anyways.
    Nope you're definitely not the only one. Another case of - 'if it ain't broke - break it...' Oddly i JUST discovered this issue this very morning and am finding your question -- I have continued using the standalone Gmail for at least 2 years beyond the date it was rendered 'unsupported' - for no known reason that i can determine -- but gee what else has Google F-ed up for the sake of having to change something that already works fine ... YouTube... argh... Gmail interface ... etc etc. ANYway - I'm definitely with ya and searching for a way to restore this thing . 2.07 ran fine - until today - on my 9930 running latest OS. I innocently ran a diagnostic test and updated my Sprint "PRL" - (at least that's all i THOUGHT i was doing) and for whatever reason - when i went to use my trusty standalone Gmail i got an unexpected error message. When i uninstalled (bad idea i guess) and reinstalled from one of the few sites i can still get it, I now get a 'problem with server' message preventing me from opening the newly installed app entirely.

If ANYbody has a workaround for us - (changing security settings - clearing out whatever might be preventing it from working ) please kindly share info... The point is, there are functions with the standalone that one can't perform when simply assigning gmail as the BB email client - such as being able to drill down and do an "All Mail" search - and check IMAP archived email - etc... I don't know why you Wouldn't want these functions - it's absurd to say a fully functional version of Gmail isn't useful on a smartphone - why would it be any less important/useful than on any other computer you use? Sorry for the rant but i don't get why people aren't annoyed by features being removed for no logical reason. Meantime, definitely hope someone might have a solution to this for immediate purposes and i appreciate your time and help troubleshooting for those of us who rely on Gmail services for business.

Thanks!
    Mike
    AndrewOrlowski likes this.
    01-12-14 12:24 PM
    I'm experiencing exactly the same problem. Started on my BB Curve first thing on Saturday. Tried lots of different settings to no avail.

The alternative "integration" software for Gmail on the BB web site is hopeless.

Time to get off BB perhaps?
    01-16-14 02:55 AM
    You can load Gmail in your browser. It is a decent web app.
    01-16-14 08:57 AM
    I thought the unofficial motto of Google was "Don't be evil". Well, I don't know but this looks very bad to me. I was just like most of you folks, using the GMail BB App to avoid alerts and notifications and also because my provider (SFR/Vodafone, France) charges for every extra email address I want to use. Actually I am not quite sure, but I think I am restricted to a single email address. And anyway I don't want to mix my Gmail account (personal) with my professional messages.

But since this app is now completely extinguished, I would like to remove it from my BB, but it's not in the installed apps.

Anyone know how to uninstall the Gmail app?

Thanks,
    -Philippe
    01-16-14 10:14 AM
    I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill, personally.
    01-16-14 01:24 PM