Hey folks,

as a quick introduction, here are some background informations. Please do not be bothered if my english is not that amazing...since its not my native language it might be a bit crappy.So im thinkin about somewhat coming back to a blackberry device, as i had one curve 8900 a couple of years (2?) before.

- Main reason for Blackberry = Keyboard; its a musthave for me
    - have used a curve 8900 for a short period of time (6 Months) but WITHOUT BIS/BES
    - i care about good battery life
    - im no heavy apps user...the ones i use should be in the bb market / world
    - Browser use: i sometimes like to google for some informations i need "on the go" and read a bit of forums (via app) or news a the handheld
    - To the point i use an HTC Desire Z ==> Keyboard :-) where the "Sliding out" is the annoying point to me.

Summary, hope its accurate: Mainly for social networking (hehe i guess im justifying my buying decision right here), whatsapp, phonecalls, forums, a little bit of browing, thereby mainly for news etc (could be done with apps i guess and hope)

In the beginning i planned to get the new Q10 device main because of the new OS and extended Battery life....but startet about thinking whether to buy bold 9900 9700 recently.

heres the why:
    Q10
    - OS 10
    - Battery life
    - no need for BIS (although if i buy 9900/9700 ill get BIS)
    Cons = No Trackpad = the new gesture wiping thing... i dont know if i like it...i tried the handheld at a carrier store recently and was somewhat a bit disappointed; Price off contract is high

Bold 9900:
    - Trackpad ;-)
    - Price = half of the price of the q10
    - "better" keyboard? when trying the Q10 in the store there also was a bold....keyboard was more convicing at the first glance...but only tried them for 5 minutes so i dunno if its representive or not
    cons: display is a bit smaller; battery life sucks as from what i read to this point (solution = seidio 3000mah battery - any suggestions here?)

Bold 9700
    - Trackpad :-)
    - Price is even lower than the Q10
    - sizing seems a good compromiss
    - What about the Keyboard compared to the 9900 and Q10? Is it "less good" because the phone size has been shrinkes down compared to the other two?
    Cons: OS 5/6 = no acceptable browser using (i do not have high standards here, but i do not want to wait 3minutes before a website has finished loading; maybe Keyboard because of the smaller size of the phone...see above

So...thats it... would love to here some input from you guys!!

Best regards

Lars
    05-30-13 05:53 AM
    I have/had 8900,9000,9700,9780,9900 and Q10.

You can ignore the 9700. You cant compare it to 9900 or even Q10.

The decision between Q10 and 9900 is even harder. For me, a non-networker
    i dont see much gain of hub for me. But if you do so, Id take the Q10.
    The Keyboard of the Q10 is different, but not worse. Its great!
    I aint got Problems with the 9900's battery. The right 7.1 os and everythings alright.
    The most annoying thing for me regarding the Q10 was amoled-display
    under bright sunlight. No Chance to see anything.

The BB10 devices will improve for sure. Long Story short,
    if I were you, Id take the Q10. I'll stay with the 9900 until Q10 got
    something I really need. Since I only need it to make calls, calendar and
    mails, it will take some time I guess
    LarsBB likes this.
    05-30-13 06:34 AM
    Hey, thank you for replying!! I guess i forgot another point i think about: buy the 9900 used and cheap and wait for the q10/BBOS10 to improve further and get rid of some negative points such as quickdial? Does this make sense?
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    05-30-13 06:42 AM
    I would go for the bold if I was you. Over the weekend (just gone) I went to see friends who all had a combination of Z10 and Q10 and there wasn't a lot of glowing references for either apart from if you had to choose between the Z or Q get the Q, but if you had to choose a blackberry then the older gen are better. The one example I was shown which really annoyed this individual about his Q10 was the adding of e mail accounts.

He said to me how would you add an e mail address to your phone, I said setup >e mail accounts and "add another email address" he said right simple, on the bb10 he said adding an e mail address was so long winded and such hard work that he wished he still had his bold.

As for the hub I don't quite understand this because on my curve I have a "messages" icon which puts all e mails into there with the option to include text messages so isn't that what a hub is ???

Also no trackpad major flaw !!! The one thing that BB actually got right they got rid of ???

So all in all go for the bold in my opinion
    Legal Eagle, vincent1m and LarsBB like this.
    05-30-13 06:58 AM
    Id buy the 9900 used, yes. I bought the 9900 new in 2011, and sold it when it when Z10 was announced.
    I rocked the 9000 till Z10. I had a horrible Connection with the Z10 and switched back to my 9000.
    When Q10 was released, I bought one but changed back to a used 9900 which is in use now.
    LarsBB and vincent1m like this.
    05-30-13 09:38 AM
    Many thanks for sharing your opinion! If id buy a 9900...which OS version should i take to save battery life? And could you tell me, what the Bold 9900 does explicitly better over the Q10?
    05-30-13 11:09 AM
    IMO best OS is BL Hybrid RC15 over .923.

Stable, fluid good battery life and mega fast browser.

However, that opinion is only valid until the next Official OS is released and the BL guys give us RC 16 !!!
    LarsBB likes this.
    05-30-13 12:09 PM
    I have a 9930 on Verizon (CDMA). I haven't been able to compare the Q10 with my Bold since VZW is just now taking pre-orders. Once it's released, I'll have to go play with it. There are many ways to save/extend battery life on the 9900/9930. Lots of neat tricks out there For me, what works is turning off auto-updates on Facebook and Twitter (set it to manually update when opening.) I've deleted my Social Feeds completely, but if you choose to keep it, likewise set it to manual update. While at work, I keep my 9930 on WiFi. Limiting the vibrate function helps also but again, this is a personal choice. My phone is usually always on vibrate but I try limiting the duration.

If all else fails, ALWAYS top off your phone when you can, and buy an extra battery to carry around
    LarsBB likes this.
    05-30-13 12:13 PM
    At the moment I got .714. Tried the 4 newest, but this is the most
    fluid for me.
    What makes me use the 9900? Hmm I think these are:
    - Trackpad for copy/paste
    - Call/End button
    - thinner
    - convenience button
    - shortcut calling
    - on/off and automatic wakeup when alert is on
    I like it to work dual touch/trackpad. it feels fluid.
    LarsBB likes this.
    05-30-13 12:30 PM
    Oh yeah, forgot to actually answer your question In terms of which one to buy, if you can get a 9900 (brand new or newish is best obviously) for cheap and off contract, I'd get it, especially if you don't like the Q10. It's a very reliable and worthy phone, more than able to hold its own despite being a few years old and "outdated." But I'd give the Q10 another shot. Spend some more time with it before you decide.
    LarsBB likes this.
    05-30-13 12:31 PM
    call me different, but I still love 9700 than my 9900, 1.) is the cosmetic problems with 9900 but not a big deal
    battery life sucks for 9900, I'm always dead half a day. smoothness and other things wins the 9900
    LarsBB likes this.
    05-30-13 12:36 PM
    heres the why:
    Q10
    - OS 10 - IT REALLY ISNT THAT GREAT AND ALL THIS HYPE ABOUT THE HUB BEING AMAZING AND STATE OF THE ART IS JUST RUBBISH. THE HUB IS BASICALLY A SYSTEM THAT GROUPS ALL THE MESSAGES TOGETHER IN A UNIFIED INBOX THE OS7 ALREADY DOES THIS ITS CALLED "MESSAGES"
    - Battery life - ITS NOT TOO BAD IF IM HONEST
    - no need for BIS (although if i buy 9900/9700 ill get BIS)
    Cons = No Trackpad THIS WILL ANNOY YOU TO NO END
    = the new gesture wiping thing IF YOU LIKE BEING UNABLE TO COPY AND PASTE TEXT AND NOT ACCURATELY SELECTING BOXES ON SCREEN THEY YOU WILL HAVE THE LACK OF TRACKPAD... i dont know if i like it...i tried the handheld at a carrier store recently and was somewhat a bit disappointed; Price off contract is high THE PHONE IS AMAZING IN QUALITY AND I LIKED HAVING IT BUT WHEN YOU START USING IT YOU WILL MISS THE THING THAT MAKE A BLACKBERRY A BLACKBERRY. YOU HAVE TO LOOK AT WHAT YOU WANT TO USE A PHONE FOR. IF YOU WANT A COMMUNICATION DEVICE THEN I WOULD GET A 9900 AND KEEP IT ON 2G AS YOU GET THE FUNCTIONALITY AS WELL AS BATTERY LIFE. JSUT TURN ON 3G IF YOU NEED TO BROWSE THE INTERNET AS THATS THE ONLY BENEFIT OF HABING 3G ON OVER 2G

Bold 9900:
    - Trackpad ;-) THE KEY THING FOR ANY USEFUL ACTIVITIES
    - Price = half of the price of the q10 = AS SOON AS YOU PAY THE 550 FOR THE PHONE IT LOSES 30% OF ITS VALUE
    - "better" keyboard? when trying the Q10 in the store there also was a bold....keyboard was more convicing at the first glance...but only tried them for 5 minutes so i dunno if its representive or not THE 9900 IS MORE ERGONOMIC, I WOULDNT SAY THAT THE Q10 HAS A BAD KEYBOARD. ONE THING THAT I NOTIVES THAT THAT BECAUSE THE KEYBOARD IS SO LOW ON THE PHONE IT DOESNT FEEL LIKE ITS STABLE IN YOUR HAND (IF YOU GET WHAT I MEAN)
    cons: display is a bit smaller YES ITS SMALLER BUT EVEN WITH THE Q10 THE "ADDITIONAL SCREEN SPACE" IS ACTUALLY TAKEN UP BY ADDRESS BARS FOR BROWSER, MENU ROWS, THE TEXT PREDICTION ETC; battery life sucks as from what i read to this point (solution = seidio 3000mah battery - any suggestions here?) LIKE I SAID ABOVE I WOULD KEEP IT ON 2G WHICH WILL LAST A DAY AND HALF DEPENDIN GON USE. BUT I WONT LIE ON 3G ITS TERRIBLE, I NEVER HAVE IT ON IF IM JUST GOING TO WORK ETC. BUT KEEP A CHARGER AT WORK AND ONE AT HOME THEN YOU'LL BE FINE.

Bold 9700
    - Trackpad :-)
    - Price is even lower than the Q10
    - sizing seems a good compromiss I HAD THE 9700 BEFORE I HAD THE 9900 AND IT HAD A REALLY GOOD BATTERY LIFE. I THINK OS7 IS ACTUALLY BETTER BUT IF YOURE LOW ON CASH THEN THE 9700 IS A GOOD ALTERNATIVE
    - What about the Keyboard compared to the 9900 and Q10? Is it "less good" because the phone size has been shrinkes down compared to the other two? ITS NOT TOO BAD, THEY ARE OBV SMALLER THAN THE OTHER TWO PHONES BUT YOU WILL NOTIVE THAT THEY GET HARDER TO PRESS THE OLDER THE PHONE.

Cons: OS 5/6 = no acceptable browser using (i do not have high standards here, but i do not want to wait 3minutes before a website has finished loading; maybe Keyboard because of the smaller size of the phone...see above

I WOULD DEFINITELY TRY SOMEONE ELSES Q10 BEFORE YOU LAY DOWN A WEEKS SALARY BECAUSE RESELLING IS A "FEMAL DOG"!

edit: I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO ADD THAT I HAD TO RETURN 3 9900'S BEFORE I FOUND ONE THAT WASNT FAULTY. SO OPEN IT IN THE STORE AND TRY OUT THE FOLLOWING:

1) MAKE SURE THAT THEBUTTON AREA ABOVE THE TRACK PAD IS SMOOTH, ON THE WHITES ONES IN PARTICULAR THE BUTTON/PLASTIC AROUND THE TRACK PAD WAS STICKING UP MEANING WHEN I SWIPED DOWN ON THE TRACK PAD IT WAS LIKE A LEDGE

2) SCREEN BRIGHTNESS ADJUSTMENT. MAKE SURE THAT THIS ACTUALLY WORKS BECAUSE ON THE ONE THAT I INITIALLY HAD THE BRIGHTNESS NEVER ACTUALLY CHANGED. YOU NEED TO PUT THE PHONE UNDER THE COUNTER IN TEH DARK TO ALLOW THE LIGHT SENSOR TO CHANGE THE LIGHT. SO PRESS "1" WHEN ON THE BRIGHTNESS SETTING SO YOU JUMP FROM 10 TO 100 IN TERMS OF BRIGHTNESS TO SEE THE CHANGE. THE KEYBOARD WILL ALSO CHANGE PARAELLE TO THE SCREEN.

BEST OF LUCK AND DONT REGRET GETTING THE Q10 LIKE I DID, TRY IT OUT FOR AN HOUR OR SO BEFORE - DO THE THING YOU WOULD USUALLY DO LIKE SENDING MULTIPLE MESSAGES AND NAVIGATING THE PHONE!
    LarsBB likes this.
    05-30-13 02:48 PM
    The 9900 is the best Blackberry for the money, plus spare parts are low price. It seems to be best to follow behind certain technology by a year or two, as is the case for the Bold 9900. It is the most mature hardware and software device that Blackberry has produced. I can easily see my 9930 lasting 2 more years. I've had the Z10 and may try the Q10, but I'm very partial to the 9930. I recommend going with the 9900, it is a beautiful device.
    05-31-13 12:40 AM