05-27-10 11:06 AM
59 123
tools
    for anyone who thinks that the Androids get better battery life then Blackberrys are out of there mind. Its already noted that Androids are known for extreamly bad battery life.
    I hear Google has addressed battery life and a few other quirks in Android 2.2. But then again battery life on any phone is such a trivial complaint. It's all about how much you use it. Someone that is in an area of great service reception will have much better battery life and someone in an area with poor reception will experience worse battery life due to the phone using more juice trying to hold a stronger signal. There are so many different factors that can affect battery life on an individual user basis that I really don't see how battery life can ever really be a knock against any one particular device. Think about it, even those who review devices for a living (Crackberry, phonedog.com, phonescoop.com, etc.) are all affected individually based on reception and a ton other factors that in the review where it says pros/cons it's very deceiving to list "battery life" in either of them, at least in my opinion.
    Last edited by Mr. Marco; 05-26-10 at 05:33 PM.
    05-26-10 05:31 PM
    ^^ yes and no. The webos phones were getting extremely horrible battery life across the board in different areas even pretty much while idle.

There are a ton of factors, but there still are quantifiable issues sometimes.

That and any phone that is powering a large display + touch controls + a ton of apps that all use push data + email that does frequent connection openings due to polling is going to suffer far more battery wise.
    05-26-10 05:35 PM
    As stated previously, the battery is a non-issue, just those who "want" to make it one.

I hear Google has addressed battery life and a few other quirks in Android 2.2. But then again battery life on any phone is such a trivial complaint. It's all about how much you use it. Someone that is in an area of great service reception will have much better battery life and someone in an area with poor reception will experience worse battery life due to the phone using more juice trying to hold a stronger signal. There are so many different factors that can affect battery life on an individual user basis that I really don't see how battery life can ever really be a knock against any one particular device. Think about it, even those who review devices for a living (Crackberry, phonedog.com, phonescoop.com, etc.) are all affected individually based on reception and a ton other factors that in the review where it says pros/cons it's very deceiving to list "battery life" in either of them, at least in my opinion.
    05-26-10 07:31 PM
    Coming from someone that has a phone as a business tool (but not a corporate user), nothing compares to them. In the past year I have had countless smartphones on three carriers and finally I will be settling in with a BB 9650 soon. I left BB to start exploring and when it comes down to the end product, you can't be the standard BB form factor for reliability, battery life, email integration, and overall use. So speaking for those of us that use a smartphone for business, I'm glad that BB is keeping it's roots in check. Let the slider and storm take the lead for toy smartphones, but don't leave the BB candybar form factor go away. A lot of people posted about BB having to catch up, but I think they know they have a great niche in the market and it will be very hard to knock them off the mound. I actually think they have released this phone in the manner they did to even the Bold line as their "business" phone. The curve is a BB consumer edition and pearls as the consumer small form factor. Leaving Storm and Slider to compete with the ever growing touch screen market. I personally am tired of touch screens already and can't wait to be back on the BB with just the trackpad. No matter what BB will always have a place in my heart.
    05-26-10 08:56 PM
    When you are on the road and rely on a phone......battery life is essential period. I need my phone to last a day no exceptions.
    05-26-10 09:59 PM
    I too love this phone... my first berry was the 8830WE... got the tour the day it came out... and after several tours went to the touch pro 2... 4 weeks and I was back on my Tour... IMO the 9650 fixes everything that was bad about the Tour.
    05-26-10 10:03 PM
    for anyone who thinks that the Androids get better battery life then Blackberrys are out of there mind. Its already noted that Androids are known for extreamly bad battery life.
    You spelled extremely wrong , and my point was CDMA blackberry's do not compare at all to GSM ones. For some reason you CDMA users act as if you have this godlike battery life and you clearly do not as I proved to Doug already who was also under this preconceived notion. And as far as androids go my GSM Nexus One last just as long as your CDMA battery look at the talk times and browsing compared to yours. Also there is one department your phone does excel on unlike my android phone and thats standby time so as long as your not on your phone you could outlast mine, (that's only if The android user is running constant apps).
    05-27-10 10:03 AM
    For some reason you CDMA users act as if you have this godlike battery life and you clearly do not as I proved to Doug already who was also under this preconceived notion. And as far as androids go my GSM Nexus One last just as long as your CDMA battery look at the talk times and browsing compared to yours. Also there is one department your phone does excel on unlike my android phone and thats standby time so as long as your not on your phone you could outlast mine, (that's only if The android user is running constant apps).
    I would say standby time is one of your most important factors in battery life, no? You proved to me that talk time ratings are greater on the Androids, but if you talk for maybe 1-2 hours on your phone a day, you should be able to get at least a full days use. You could throw manufacturer listed ratings to me all day long....how is it in real world performance....that's all I care about.

If GSM networks got good reception in my area, I would love to give them a go. I like the idea of voice AND data at the same time, plus GSM does have a great reputation for better battery life.

I believe the one Android App that eats the battery life the most is the mail app if you desire getting email often, I may be incorrect in this, but that's where the Blackberry strength shines with messaging. I would also like to be able to control multi-tasking without an application, that's where WebOS shines.

As mentioned, I am certainly no fanboy. You will not often find posts or threads by me bragging "mine is better than yours" I like trying new platforms, OS's, and hardware.....that learning curve is fun for me unless the OS is TOO difficult. I liked the Motorola Droid. If I didn't get constant static during phone conversations and half day battery life I probably would had kept it. I would also be willing to try the Incredible if I knew it could last a day, and the if keyboard IS as functional as many say.

Bottom line is each device has their strengths and weaknesses. It comes down to what you could live with and without. Heck, I may drop by my Verizon Store and check out this new LG Ally.....sounds like it may be a good best of both worlds device for Android, battery life, and keyboard

Once again I will mention....great discussion, I am really enjoying this
    05-27-10 10:19 AM

You spelled extremely wrong , and my point was CDMA blackberry's do not compare at all to GSM ones. For some reason you CDMA users act as if you have this godlike battery life and you clearly do not as I proved to Doug already who was also under this preconceived notion. And as far as androids go my GSM Nexus One last just as long as your CDMA battery look at the talk times and browsing compared to yours. Also there is one department your phone does excel on unlike my android phone and thats standby time so as long as your not on your phone you could outlast mine, (that's only if The android user is running constant apps).
    05-27-10 11:06 AM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD