I would have never bought a 9630... no wifi is a dealbreaker, and after reading all the issues in the forums, I definitely would have never bought one...

the 9650 is a great device, and I say this coming from a 9700 which was another great device...

the only people complaining about the 9650 not being all that worth it are: 9630 owners... for some reason, they feel slighted, entitled, whatever it is...

well suck it up fellas, and either get a 9650 because you like it and want one, or keep your 9630 if you feel the 9650 isn't enough of an "upgrade" and endure your 9630 while you keeping waiting for that holy grail... either way... quit your complaining!!!!!!!!!!
    05-26-10 03:13 PM
    Turned? No, not really, just after going to the Sprint store and trying out the 9650, I was expecting and/or hoping for something more.

My how you've turned over the past week, tourboy!
    05-26-10 03:17 PM
    No, not at all. Just think RIM is more capable than some of the devices they have put out lately.

Lead, don't follow.

waiting for that holy grail.
    05-26-10 03:20 PM
    I hate to say it, but RIM kind of reminds me of AOL in their last couple of releases; nothing really new, just putting out a release to put one out to advertise they have something "new", but in reality it is mostly the same features as before with little change. Meanwhile, the competition is on the cutting edge and slowly AOL dwindles.

Let's just hope this doesn't happen to RIM.
    The problem that occurerred with AOL was they made poor investments in a declining market, and the services they provided at a fee you could get elsewhere for free. All that, and the software was awful

Saw this statement over on the Android forum and it really made me think:

the funny thing about this phone is it sold for just as much as an iPhone or Android device with a weaker browser, cheaper build, and really more cost efficient for the carriers and RIM, while you all pay the same prices.
    I think the comparison is irrelevant. These are completely different devices. Try getting 2 days off the Android or iPhone battery.

It's like comparing a $75,000 luxury car to a $75,000 Sport's car and asking for the same performance, gas mileage, and styling out of both.

The Blackberry may not be as pretty, but it performs, it's reliable, the build quality is just fine, and iPhone nor Android can touch the battery life.
    05-26-10 03:22 PM
    And they became stagnant in the market (hmmmm...RIM?).

For example, they produced AOL 8.0 and then AOL 8.0 Plus with little change. Then came AOL 9.0 Optimized and then AOL 9.0 Optimized SE

The point is if you don't change with the market, you will get left behind...something that RIM is running the risk of lately.

The problem that occurerred with AOL was they made poor investments in a declining market, and the services they provided at a fee you could get elsewhere for free. All that, and the software was awful
    05-26-10 03:29 PM
    And they became stagnant in the market (hmmmm...RIM?).

For example, they produced AOL 8.0 and then AOL 8.0 Plus with little change. Then came AOL 9.0 Optimized and then AOL 9.0 Optimized SE

The point is if you don't change with the market, you will get left behind...something that RIM is running the risk of lately.
    I wouldn't call it stagnant.....they were trying to offer a better product, but when everyone else is offering the same product you are offering, and that product costs nothing, yet you continue to charge, what do you think is going to happen? I would chalk it up to a bad business plan. What do you think would happen to Apple's market share with the iPhone if Android phones were offered for free, the data packages were free, and the voice was 1/10th the price?

Let me give you another example.....Philip Morris the cigarette company. Regulations have gotten tighter and tighter, it costs more and more in taxes to buy their product, you would think they would be hurting. So what did they do to supplement falling profits? They bought food companys like Kelloggs.

What did AOL do? They bought the rapidly declining Time Warner

RIM is very conservative, they start from behind and they catch up....

OS 6 with it's web package looks like it will offer just the refresher they need, not to mention the Slider and who knows what other devices they plan to release.
    05-26-10 03:45 PM
    I've stated it a few times. This is a solid device. But if you are going to keep a phone for two years (like me) I don't think this would be the one to get. I think it's a step in a good direction (forward) however, I don't think it is much of a huge upgrade from a tour. I still find the phone some what laggy. I am going with the EVO and going to wait for the slider to come out-- (side note) as this is not the 9800 forum, does anyone know the camera on the slider-- 5mp?

Anyway, I like the bold 9650 but i Will be returning it!

Best Regards,
    Brian
    05-26-10 03:48 PM
    Not another refresher please...give us something new for a change. I am trying to like this 9650, but it sure isn't easy knowing it has been in the make for 6 months plus. I guess it would be more appropriate if the price was $199 and then the $100 rebate. To me, $200 is just too much for this phone.

As for OS 6, who knows when that will be out and they needed it yesterday.

When it comes to technology, you lead, follow, or get out of the way....only time will tell.

OS 6 with it's web package looks like it will offer just the refresher they need, not to mention the Slider and who knows what other devices they plan to release.
    05-26-10 03:49 PM

I think the comparison is irrelevant. These are completely different devices. Try getting 2 days off the Android or iPhone battery.

It's like comparing a $75,000 luxury car to a $75,000 Sport's car and asking for the same performance, gas mileage, and styling out of both.

The Blackberry may not be as pretty, but it performs, it's reliable, the build quality is just fine, and iPhone nor Android can touch the battery life.

lol that was my post you qouted, and what Blackberry Battery or you talking about exactly because the only one with great battery life is the Bold 9700, and i guess ill throw the 8900 in there. The Tour series the Storm series they don't hold up to that same iconic battery life Blackberry users of old are used to. The DX-1 is nothing to talk about sorry Also how could you ever compare the cheaply built cost efficient Blackberry to a Luxury Car thats just laughable. The Blackberry isn't built to last anymore i don't know where your deriving this misconception from its plastic man not metal.
    Last edited by CrackberryBrandon; 05-26-10 at 03:59 PM.
    05-26-10 03:56 PM
    Not another refresher please...give us something new for a change. I am trying to like this 9650, but it sure isn't easy knowing it has been in the make for 6 months plus. I guess it would be more appropriate if the price was $199 and then the $100 rebate. To me, $200 is just too much for this phone.

As for OS 6, who knows when that will be out and they needed it yesterday.

When it comes to technology, you lead, follow, or get out of the way....only time will tell.
    Palm brought WebOS that was an incredible new fresh change. Lucky for them they were rescued.....it wasn't supposed to happen that way.

Sometimes you lead sometimes you follow....and sometimes you watch what's out there, adjust where needed....you just pace. They attempted to lead with the Storm....Good thing they weren't betting the farm on THAT innovation, eh?

As far as the price....I always create the lower price in my new device by selling the one it replaces If I can hopefully get the 1 year pricing on the Bold, and it costs around $269 with $100 rebate, I upgraded and MADE $40

Excellent discussion by the way
    05-26-10 03:59 PM
    $9700 is the real bold.
    The AT&T version is a worthy addition to the Bold legacy. The T-Mobile version is the real insult to the name. Feels cheap & plasticy. And good luck with your dropped calls as the phone jumps from AWS 3G to GPRS in the blink of an eye.
    05-26-10 04:00 PM
    lol that was my post you qouted, and what Blackberry Battery or you talking about exactly because the only one with great battery life is the Bold 9700, and i guess ill throw the 8900 in there. The Tour series the Storm series they don't hold up to that same iconic battery life Blackberry users of old are used to. The DX-1 is nothing to talk about sorry Also how could you ever compare the cheaply built cost efficient Blackberry to a Luxury Car thats just laughable. The Blackberry isn't built to last anymore i don't know where your deriving this misconception from its plastic man not metal.

I quoted the quote of the quote

I currently have the Tour. On Monday night, I fell asleep on the couch and forgot to charge it after a normal day of about 1 hour of phone and regular texting and emails. The next morning it was at around 65% It's lasted me all of Tuesday, I didn't get home until around 2AM, after normal useage like Monday it was at around 40%, it could had probably gone through most of today. I had this same experience with the 8330 I had.

Read the reviews on the build quality of the Droid Incredible....Verizon's new flagship, 3 things reviewers were disappointed with.....

Build Quality...surprised it was cheap plastic

Battery Life....VERY lucky if they could get a full workday

and surprisingly...signal...not on par with other phones....

Oh, and many don't seem happy that you cannot search a contact by company name.

Now mind you I am not bashing Android, I think they are well on their way. The shortcomings unfortunately are too great....and my Blackberry....it just works
    05-26-10 04:08 PM
    I had to add some more before i was finished just to prove this guy wrong

Last i check your Storm2 has less talk time the my Nexus One which is an "Android device" you get about 5.5 hours of talk time i believe while i get 120 more minutes then you aka 2 hours and thats just talk time. were not talking about browsing or playing music. (you should check your facts next time Doug)
    sorry....need to correct my info screen.....I went back to the Tour
    05-26-10 04:09 PM
    sorry....need to correct my info screen.....I went back to the Tour
    oh thats even worse the Tour just get 5 hours lol dang you should just keep that Great battery life in the Bold 9700 forum they're the only users who have the right to carry that flag you Tour and Storm users are barely keeping up with these hi-end devices you like to poke fun at
    Last edited by CrackberryBrandon; 05-26-10 at 04:14 PM.
    05-26-10 04:12 PM
    oh thats even worse the Tour just get 5 hours lol dang
    lol yet 2 and a half days later, it runs.....go figure.

Sidenote.....I would easily pull a day and a half out of the Storm 2
    05-26-10 04:14 PM
    lol yet 2 and a half days later, it runs.....go figure.

Sidenote.....I would easily pull a day and a half out of the Storm 2
    Man you've been proven wrong by facts at that , Just leave the great battery life to the 9700 owners you sweet Tour is no better then any android phone on your carrier when it comes to battery life (although you may want to tell yourself it is ).
    05-26-10 04:16 PM
    Man you've been proven wrong by facts at that , Just leave the great battery life to the 9700 owners you sweet Tour is no better then any android phone on your carrier when it comes to battery life (although you may want to tell yourself it is ).

I don't talk for 5 hours a day on the phone. I do however believe that the Blackberry....ANY Blackberry handles data and standby more efficiently then the Android does. It polls for emails and messaging differently....

Fact is fact, I would feel more comfortable being without a charger for my Blackberry for 2 days then I would an Android phone.

I don't dispute anything you say regarding OS, and if I could get the 9700 Bold on Verizon, I'd get it in a heartbeat....
    05-26-10 04:20 PM
    Thanks Papped, just ordered it and hope to have it friday!!!
    Order a screen protector now so you have it to put on right away =P
    05-26-10 04:22 PM
    No biggie, just upgrade your battery...issue solved

Fact is fact, I would feel more comfortable being without a charger for my Blackberry for 2 days then I would an Android phone.
    05-26-10 04:24 PM
    I don't talk for 5 hours a day on the phone. I do however believe that the Blackberry....ANY Blackberry handles data and standby more efficiently then the Android does. It polls for emails and messaging differently....

hahahaha ahh man people crack me up way to try and save face Doug You are right about standby time though (for once he's right )
    05-26-10 04:26 PM
    No biggie, just upgrade your battery...issue solved
    True good point TourBoy, you could just go buy an extended battery
    05-26-10 04:27 PM
    Or I could stick with the Blackberry for now
    05-26-10 04:29 PM
    Yes, the battery is a non-issue, just those who "want" to make it one.

05-26-10 04:34 PM
    hahahaha ahh man people crack me up way to try and save face Doug You are right about standby time though (for once he's right )
    lol just read this.

The funny thing is, I have tried to leave Blackberry. I definitely feel they are behind and that the OS is old...I also believe OS 6 will modernize it a bit.

I have tried the Palm, I've tried the Droid, I thought they were great phones, I felt the OS's were fantastic. I however could not pull a full day out of the battery no matter what I tried. I also did not personally like the Keyboards on either device. I wanted to like them as much as I wanted to like typing on the Storm 2.....but the end result was the same every time.....right back to the plain simple Blackberry

At least with the Bold, I will get the better OS eventually, along with the trackpad and memory....should hold me for awhile.

So for my Higher Tech Toy that soothes the inner geek?....I got myself an iPad 3g
    05-26-10 04:38 PM
    for anyone who thinks that the Androids get better battery life then Blackberrys are out of there mind. Its already noted that Androids are known for extreamly bad battery life.
    05-26-10 04:51 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD