I kinda of lost or had my Bold stolen at a bar last Friday. The person who found my phone obviously has no desire to give my phone back to me because they moment it was lost, the fully charged phone was turned off immediately. So I bought another one.

I don't really care about finding the old one. I just want no one else to be able to use it anymore. I called AT&T and asked them if they could block the IMEI so they couldn't use it anymore. They said all they could do is block the sim card. That means someone could swap out sim cards and use my old Bold.

Is AT&T that lax about customer secuity? Is there any other way to block potential use of my Bold.
    07-27-09 08:17 PM
    I kinda of lost or had my Bold stolen at a bar last Friday. The person who found my phone obviously has no desire to give my phone back to me because they moment it was lost, the fully charged phone was turned off immediately. So I bought another one.

I don't really care about finding the old one. I just want no one else to be able to use it anymore. I called AT&T and asked them if they could block the IMEI so they couldn't use it anymore. They said all they could do is block the sim card. That means someone could swap out sim cards and use my old Bold.

Is AT&T that lax about customer secuity? Is there any other way to block potential use of my Bold.
    You can ask RIM directly to block the PIN so it can't be active to use for its
    Blackberry features. But that will probably cost you money.
    07-27-09 08:25 PM
    Has nothing to do with security, if YOU lost it and had a password, the all the other person can do is wipe and use it. Seems like you want it to self destruct.

If you didn't have a password, it's your fault that it's unsecure. ATT doesn't care about the phone itself, they will disable that sim and that's it.
    07-27-09 08:26 PM
    Maybe RIM?
    07-27-09 08:26 PM
    yep i think its RIM's job
    07-27-09 08:48 PM
    You can call up RIM and have them block the PIN so the user can never access data features such as Browser, BBM, Email again...

If the punk who stole it unlocks and switches SIM cards, all he will be able to do is make calls and text I believe.

This is why whenever I'm out clubbing or at a bar, I always bring my crappy 2005 RAZR... Because I know if I get smashed I won't lose my BOLD somewhere, drop it, etc...

But that sucks that the moron turned it off... People are generally turning into jerks these days and have stopped doing the right thing. Kind of like that NBC Dateline episode where the guy showed how many people steal ipod's they know are not theirs. He put a tracker software disc with the ipods and went to everyone's house who stole one. And these people said it was just too good to pass up even if they knew they were stealing.
    Last edited by Madness87; 07-27-09 at 10:04 PM.
    07-27-09 10:00 PM
    Has nothing to do with security, if YOU lost it and had a password, the all the other person can do is wipe and use it. Seems like you want it to self destruct.

If you didn't have a password, it's your fault that it's unsecure. ATT doesn't care about the phone itself, they will disable that sim and that's it.
    Are you stupid or just an ***? I bought the phone directly from AT&T and they know my IMEI which they registered for me. If I report my phone as lost or stolen, they should be able to restrict any other people from registering that same IMEI with them.
    07-27-09 10:12 PM
    You can call up RIM and have them block the PIN so the user can never access data features such as Browser, BBM, Email again...

If the punk who stole it unlocks and switches SIM cards, all he will be able to do is make calls and text I believe.

This is why whenever I'm out clubbing or at a bar, I always bring my crappy 2005 RAZR... Because I know if I get smashed I won't lose my BOLD somewhere, drop it, etc...

But that sucks that the moron turned it off... People are generally turning into jerks these days and have stopped doing the right thing. Kind of like that NBC Dateline episode where the guy showed how many people steal ipod's they know are not theirs. He put a tracker software disc with the ipods and went to everyone's house who stole one. And these people said it was just too good to pass up even if they knew they were stealing.
    Thanks for your advice man. Now... who do I call up at RIM?
    07-27-09 10:13 PM
    in aust if you report it to the carrier they block the imei with all aust carriers so unless the thief wants to move to a different country, they won't be able to use it. i certainly hope it's not just something that's done in aust, cos if it is then the rest of the world really need to catch up on this...
    07-27-09 10:20 PM
    Jino, that sucks man, sorry for your loss
    07-27-09 10:23 PM
    None of the major US GSM carriers blacklist IMEI's. It is one of the downfalls of GSM in this country. So yes someone can use your phone, and even if you do happen to get the pin disable. They will still be able to use the phone, just not to the full capabilities of a Blackberry.
    07-27-09 10:28 PM
    im with nikolous on this one. Also, if they dont block it, the local authorities can be notified by the network when it is used again and then measures taken.
    07-27-09 10:30 PM
    My GF got hers stolen at a bar too... sucks man, sorry to hear that.
    07-27-09 11:02 PM
    Thanks for your kind words guys. I really don't care about the money. I just don't want a scumbag to profit off my loss.
    07-27-09 11:07 PM
    Hey man I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago, my wife lost her Bold and I called att about 2 hours later and reported it stolen and I had the rep put me on with BB support and told the tech I wanted to prevent anyone from using data on it and he called Rim on the three way and about an hour or so later, two different departments, I told the guy from Rim that I wanted the pin disabled and he said ok it was done and that the process is irreversible once its done so I have att put you on with Rim to avoid paying

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-09 11:30 PM
    Thanks for your kind words guys. I really don't care about the money. I just don't want a scumbag to profit off my loss.
    That sucks that someone has your Bold. Sorry for your loss. (moment of prayer)

So, now that you have a new Bold, protect it. Get Smrtguard!
    07-27-09 11:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD