Interesting!

left my laptop for a few hours and 2 pages full of stuff about The Netherlands.. Nice! Without the Netherlands there was no New Amsterdam. A place you called New York. Actually there was no United States. Not knowing The Netherlands isn't that bad. But your own history is a bit sad And indeed Heineken, philips and Shell are dutch brands.

I'm getting a Heineken right now! I pay for a heineken 2 euro's thats also cheap in the Netherlands!

Proost!
    It really is sad that Americans on a whole don't travel, in fact, most don't even own a passport.

Personally, the Netherlands is one of my favorite places in Europe but I think much of the confusion in the USA is caused by multiple names i.e. the Netherlands, Holland, Dutch etc.
    08-04-11 05:35 PM
    It really is sad that Americans on a whole don't travel, in fact, most don't even own a passport.

Personally, the Netherlands is one of my favorite places in Europe but I think much of the confusion in the USA is caused by multiple names i.e. the Netherlands, Holland, Dutch etc.
    Yeah it is kinda crazy when you think about it, we live in the Netherlands, we are Dutch and we come from Holland aka the Lowlands, who can keep track of all those names? But if you mention Amsterdam to an American, they suddenly know exactly what were talking about
    It seems that a lot of people in the US think we leave our windmills to walk around the redlight district in our wooden shoes smoking pot with a piece of cheese in one and a raw herring in the other hand and a tulip in our hair
    Reality is that it's the tourist who actually do this, and we laugh about them, it just looks silly
    But believe me, if you take the time to know us, you will actually see that were almost "normal" people
    08-04-11 05:59 PM
    Reminds me of the Seinfeld scene:

George: What is Holland?

Jerry : What do you mean, 'what is it?' It's a

country right next to Belgium.

George: No, that's the Netherlands.

Jerry: Holland *is* the Netherlands.

George: Then who are the Dutch?
    08-04-11 06:09 PM
    Yeah it is kinda crazy when you think about it, we live in the Netherlands, we are Dutch and we come from Holland aka the Lowlands, who can keep track of all those names? But if you mention Amsterdam to an American, they suddenly know exactly what were talking about
    It seems that a lot of people in the US think we leave our windmills to walk around the redlight district in our wooden shoes smoking pot with a piece of cheese in one and a raw herring in the other hand and a tulip in our hair
    Reality is that it's the tourist who actually do this, and we laugh about them, it just looks silly
    But believe me, if you take the time to know us, you will actually see that were almost "normal" people
    Yes, I went to De Wallen, but only out of curiosity and only to look. I don't think in all my visits I have ever seen someone wearing wooden shoes.
    08-04-11 06:19 PM
    yep actually we do have some good strong soccer players and yes Cruijff is still the king
    Funny that you know about these things but again, no biggie, we ARE small (16,5 million people) so we don't take it personal...as long as everybody keeps paying us in the port of Rotterdam to get their goods in and out of Europe
    Edit: how are thing in New Amsterdam?
    i know because I'm almost 53 y/o and I'm from republic of Georgia, people well known as crazy soccer fans...
    08-04-11 06:56 PM
    So if I order the phone from the Netherlands or the uk will it still work in the us or are the radio frequencies different? Those prices are too good to pass up!
    08-05-11 12:51 AM
    So if I order the phone from the Netherlands or the uk will it still work in the us or are the radio frequencies different? Those prices are too good to pass up!
    These prices are with a contract. You wouldn't get a contract on a European phone from the USA I think. You could pay about $650 and get an unlocked phone shipped to you : but check the frequencies. They vary.
    Shadowsbox likes this.
    08-05-11 01:09 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD