Within 24 hours I should have a shiny Bold on Orange UK. Why do I hate myself? This should be great news! Well:

1) I would prefer it on O2, but simply can't wait, which leads me to..
    2) ..buying myself out of the remainder of my 18 month contract with 3.

I really want this phone, and since it's my 30th birthday in 10 days time, I reckon I can afford to treat myself

Anyway, my brother is getting one too, and in a few months my gf also will have a Bold. I'm converting people all the time <evil laugh>

(PS After all this, I bet my local store don't have any!)

(PPS does anyone know if Orange differentiate between "Online" and "In store" tariffs? O2 can't (won't??) help online customers in store, and that's something I want to avoid).
    08-22-08 03:54 PM
    Wow, congrats on your 'early birthday present to self' lol.

At the end of the day choose where you get the device, either online or in store you are still a customer of that network and are entitled to customer service I would have thought. I was not aware that o2 did that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-08 04:43 PM
    Good call on your new Bold. You shouldn't hate yourself mate. You will love this phone.

I know the feeling of spending a few squids to buy out a contract. I did it last xmas to move over to the TyTN. You won't regret the extra goolah to get this phone. It's my first blackberry and having had the phone for 2 days now, it kicks the pants off any other phone I've owned or played with.

I've seen other blackberrys in the hands of proud owners in the past but to be honest I felt my 'smartphone' had a lot more to offer - customisation and apps wise.

I now see what it's all about with these blackberrys - ease of use. This phone is INCREDIBLE to look at and an absolut pleasure to type on and navigate through. It's quick on the net and is most certainly the phone of now (I couldn't get on with the iphone - it will only take over when touchscreen technology is improved...by a mile)

Anyway I'll stop rabbitting (I'm simply enjoying how this keyboard's feeling) and wish ya a happy 30th, you got a top present coming your way.
    08-22-08 05:29 PM
    Thanks for the support I love Blackberrys and I've been following the Bold for what seems like all year, so I'm sure I won't be disappointed !

About the O2 online/in-store thing - the reason I left them for 3 late last year was because I tried to get an upgrade in store, and because I'd taken out my contract online, I had to upgrade online as well. When I asked if I could change to an in store tariff and walk away there and then with a new handset, they said yes....if you cancel your contract and start again with a new number! I got my pac there and then.
    08-22-08 05:32 PM
    Nice work with the changing of contract!

You should never feel tied down to a contract. O2 once bought out my contract with orange which had 8 months to run (just under 300 quid) so that they could win me over to the...wait for it...Viewty!!

Needless to say, the 14 day return policy took its place on the podium and I gratefully returned to orange!
    08-22-08 06:31 PM
    Well, 21 minutes and 12 seconds later I am getting my PAC code. The guy on the other end, when I could understand him (not the accent, he was talking pretty rapidly!) seemed to be offering me a TyTN2 or Nokia E71 which "were Blackberry like". I politely declined. The ETF was higher than I got quoted the other week, but I'm not too upset by that. When I get my final bill hopefully it'll be less.
    08-23-08 04:49 AM
    Have you actually got your new Bold yet... or are you heading for your local store as we speak?

Hint: If your local Orange shop doesn't have any, it might be worth trying Phones4U if you have a large branch nearby.

Don't forget to keep us updated!
    08-23-08 05:26 AM
    Well, I picked it up from my local store, doesn't seem too bad Unfortunately, it seems like I have a "second-hand" Bold - there is small evidence of someone else having used it for a couple days: a picture, a PIN in the Messenger app, a text, and a small (tiny) scuff mark on the bottom. The battery was fully discharged too, so it's been on power for the past 3 hours and still only 75% charged!

Anyway, my first test: turn on WiFi and connect to crackberry.com. Didn't load at all. Not sure what's happening there but I'll keep investigating.

It's also not as fast as I thought it was going to be. Certainly faster than my Curve, and I'll wait to get Viigo on it which I have been using for months.
    08-23-08 11:14 AM
    That sounds bad to me... if I were you I would be straight back to the store and demanding a 'brand new' phone... and not one which has obviously been used before. (By whom, and for what purpose?)

The fact that is has a scuff mark on it (however small) is also bad news, as it looks as if it has already received some careless treatment... that is really disgraceful, I reckon.

As you said in your first post, you want a shiny new Bold for your birthday... and not a second hand one!
    Last edited by Montala; 08-23-08 at 11:35 AM.
    08-23-08 11:32 AM
    Well, I picked it up from my local store, doesn't seem too bad Unfortunately, it seems like I have a "second-hand" Bold - there is small evidence of someone else having used it for a couple days: a picture, a PIN in the Messenger app, a text, and a small (tiny) scuff mark on the bottom. The battery was fully discharged too, so it's been on power for the past 3 hours and still only 75% charged!

Anyway, my first test: turn on WiFi and connect to crackberry.com. Didn't load at all. Not sure what's happening there but I'll keep investigating.

It's also not as fast as I thought it was going to be. Certainly faster than my Curve, and I'll wait to get Viigo on it which I have been using for months.
    For the wifi problem, please check that you have the following service books:
    Wi-Fi TCP/IP Browser [BrowserConfig]
    Wi-Fi TCP/IP Transport [WPTCP]
    If you dont there is a big problem, and please contact me via PM. It can be fixed so dont worry, but the other issues well if my new phone had been used i would take it back.
    08-23-08 01:49 PM

Sounds like it was used for demonstration purposes. I would not be happy with that!!
    Last edited by Hazysky; 08-23-08 at 02:31 PM.
    08-23-08 02:19 PM
    congrats on your semi-new Bold. I agree with the pp I would for sure go back and get a NEW one that is the point actually. Happy early birthday just incase I dont remember you!
    08-23-08 02:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD