I was out shopping today here in Portland and stopped into this mobile phone store. As I am looking around at some of the latest imports, the owner (I am guessing he was the owner) asked if I needed any help. Just as I responded with "just looking" I noticed that he had what appeared to be the a Bold in a leather holster on his belt. Low and behold I asked if it was a Bold and it was! Excited, I asked if I could take a look. He seemed a little hesitant but agreed and I got a good few minutes with it. It was branded Rogers, but had the preproduction sticker on the back. First off, the screen is AMAZING. Next to my iphone, the Bold looked vibrant and rich. The keyboard, I LOVED it. I never cared for the Curve board and my all time favorite board was the 7200 so I was very pleased that RIM once again got it right. Great job. The rear battery door, with the faux leather feel is definately different but makes the Bold look all that more upscale. I didn't think I would like it.

The OS is nice and I loved the theme but in the end it is sort of like a skin. Same OS that everyone is accustomed to. And for the trackball...it worked very well and felt more responsive than the Pearl and Curve. I did feel like it should have been made a wee bit bigger.

And there you have it. My brief run in with a Bold. It definately has me wanting one real bad now. Ohhh and I asked the guy about email and such and he says his PIN is blocked for now. Bummer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-08 08:54 PM
    Very Nice!
    08-22-08 08:57 PM
    IOhhh and I asked the guy about email and such and he says his PIN is blocked for now. Bummer.
    For now?... possibly for ever... who knows?

If he was an official Rogers tester, or had been sent an 'evaluation' model then I wouldn't have expected that to be the case... perhaps he got in on eBay!
    08-23-08 05:43 AM
    how did the 3g coverage look? Do you guys have 3g up there in portland? Did you do any web surfing? streaming video?
    08-23-08 09:28 AM
    I didn't get a chance to do web or streaming. He was pretty "antsy" and seemed uncomfortable that a stranger was messing with his phone. The 3G on Att is active and the logo was present. I almost asked to make a test call but he was getting a bit impatient. I was still happy to get the short time with it.

08-23-08 09:33 AM
    I got to demo the unit as wes in a well guarded room. They were showing us how the screen looks when running a movie or video. It was great. I sent it a picture from my 8310 as the unit was running when we got to use it. Added the picture to the wallpaper, used a couple applications...
    All is true what Jason has said, keyboard is great, screen is even better, size is good. Now if they would just stop teasing us and let us own one!
    08-23-08 09:39 AM
    For now?... possibly for ever... who knows?

If he was an official Rogers tester, or had been sent an 'evaluation' model then I wouldn't have expected that to be the case... perhaps he got in on eBay!
    Rogers don't send their test devices down the US . His PIN is gone and unrecovereable.
    08-23-08 12:55 PM
    that sucks for him!

08-23-08 01:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD