Well I've done it. I've made the decision to go and join the little green man. Sprint's EVO was to much to resist. I don't know if it is lack of the "new" and "exciting" feeling I got from getting my new Bold or if I'm just a victim of marketing hype but I feel dirty none the less. I thought when I got my new Bold (yesterday) it would quench my desire for a technology bump, but when it came I just stared down at a my Bold and felt, well.....nothing. "A trackpad and memory bump!!!" I told myself but yet I found myself googling everything about the EVO. I so badly do not want to give up on Blackberry but in the end it's just stale to me now given all the choices out there. Maybe one day I will be back, but for now, I'm throwing caution to the wind and buying the Porche instead of the Civic.

Not looking for a flame war, just saying my piece about my feelings in this matter. To each their own.

If you have done the same thing it would be interesting to hear your thought process thou.

Have a good one!
    06-03-10 05:05 PM
    Sprint board would probably be a better place for this.
    06-03-10 05:09 PM
    while Android evolves and see where it goes......it like Ginger sizzles and entices for right now while Mary Ann (my Bold) is rock steady and satisfying.....OS 6 should decide my fate.......
    06-03-10 05:12 PM
    "Sprint board would probably be a better place for this."

Not really. It's about BB as much as it is the EVO. Just stating my feelings towards my new BB purchase, which in this case happens to be the Bold 9650.
    06-03-10 05:12 PM
    OS 6 should decide my fate.......
    I hear ya. I have an upgrade on another line in Jan and if it's a big change I could be back. But for right now it's just same ol, same ol.
    06-03-10 05:16 PM
    The fact that what has changed is the trackpad and wifi has been known since last year. The double memory was known early this year, but double memory isn't really much of a factor. I don't really see what insight people will gain from this...
    06-03-10 05:18 PM
    hey, Im sure the EVO is going to be a great device for you. If it doesnt work out, come back to Black. Good luck to you.
    06-03-10 05:19 PM
    There are plenty of bb loyalists questioning the choices out there. I've given real attempts on iPhone 3GS and the HTC Incredible, but still come back to bb. It's the ultimate messaging platform. The other platforms are great for users that don't make a living with hard core messaging.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I'm waiting to pull the trigger and upgrade to the 9650, but I'm waiting to see if Opera Mini can fix the issue with their browser for the 9650. Bolt is the other option, but I'm not a huge Bolt fan. So as of now, I would get a better browsing experience on my current 8330 running Opera Mini 4.
    If Opera Mini can't work out a fix, and the new Webkit browser isn't all what it's cranked up to be I would be left with nothing.
    That means, I would need a shower too...and would join you and the little green men.
    I know how you feel, I have owned the Incredible and currently own the Droid. However, I keep the Droid in my desk drawer and use my Tour soon to be VZ Bold as my daily phone. The Android is great if you are not in a high paced work place but for me the BB is just so much faster working and just gets things done simply where as the Android phones seem to take me longer to accomplish the same tasks. I always come back to BB. Best of both worlds, have 2 phone lines and use both. IMHO
    06-03-10 05:20 PM
    The fact that what has changed is the trackpad and wifi has been known since last year. The double memory was known early this year, but double memory isn't really much of a factor. I don't really see what insight people will gain from this...
    I appreciate you thinking you know what everyone would or would not gain from this but maybe you should just sit back, relax and take from it whatever you want. I was interested in others post's (on this forum) when it came to this subject so I decided to share mine.
    06-03-10 05:21 PM
    hey, Im sure the EVO is going to be a great device for you. If it doesnt work out, come back to Black. Good luck to you.
    Thx! Only time will tell. (i.e OS 6)
    06-03-10 05:24 PM
    ive switched, returned, and have contemplated leaving recently. i realized that not having a bb would actually change my life (as dramatic as that sounds).

bbm has become my main line of communication. in nyc, everyone seems to have bb and most of my close friends have them as well. until that changes i could never switch. if i didnt use bbm, id be a droid user.
    06-03-10 05:27 PM
    I appreciate you thinking you know what everyone would or would not gain from this but maybe you should just sit back, relax and take from it whatever you want. I was interested in others post's (on this forum) when it came to this subject so I decided to share mine.
    Oh snap, you even have the attitude to match the Sprint board
    06-03-10 05:27 PM
    Yeah, Ive got a lot of hopes for the OS6, I hope Im not disappointed. Post back and let us know what you think of the EVO.
    06-03-10 05:28 PM
    I've been waiting a long time for a BlackBerry with Wi-Fi and a trackpad.
    As for the memory, it would mean a lot to me. That would mean I could download more apps. I've pretty much capped out as being able to add apps for quite some time. I've even removed the BlackBerry Appword app from my phone because it's not serving me any good. No need to browse apps that I don't have the room to download. There are some cool and useful apps I would like to have, so with more memory I'd be able to do just that. Apps make the phone experience fun. Since I've capped out months ago, my phone is getting stale.
    Perhaps having 512 MB will help out a lot.
    06-03-10 05:28 PM
    ^^ Capped out on a 8330 though right, which has next to nil for app memory.

Going from 256mb to 512mb on OS5 isn't much of a change because there simply aren't enough opengl apps to use the space (nor will there be any time soon). Until most BB's run opengl, most devs aren't going to bother because the market is segmented. Until most devs make opengl apps, most apps are going to remain considerably small.

In other words you don't need 512mb, you just need a BB that's not something like 3+ years old and has 256mb.
    06-03-10 05:33 PM
    Oh snap, you even have the attitude to match the Sprint board
    You don't agree with me.... I get it. No if you excuse me, I have to go cut myself to ease the pain.
    06-03-10 05:39 PM
    Yeah, Ive got a lot of hopes for the OS6, I hope Im not disappointed. Post back and let us know what you think of the EVO.
    No, prob. Will do.
    06-03-10 05:40 PM
    ^^ Capped out on a 8330 though right, which has next to nil for app memory.

Going from 256mb to 512mb on OS5 isn't much of a change because there simply aren't enough opengl apps to use the space (nor will there be any time soon). Until most BB's run opengl, most devs aren't going to bother because the market is segmented. Until most devs make opengl apps, most apps are going to remain considerably small.

In other words you don't need 512mb, you just need a BB that's not something like 3+ years old and has 256mb.
    Yep, it's an 8330.
    I have a feeling that once the 9650 is given the green light for OS 6.0 and the webkit browser, some of that memory will be eaten up. As for how much, I have no clue. I'm hoping I'll still be left with quite a bit of memory for apps. If not, I'd be very disappointed to have a new OS, new browser, and room for a few apps.
    06-03-10 05:40 PM
    Yep, it's an 8330.
    I have a feeling that once the 9650 is given the green light for OS 6.0 and the webkit browser, some of that memory will be eaten up. As for how much, I have no clue. I'm hoping I'll still be left with quite a bit of memory for apps. If not, I'd be very disappointed to have a new OS, new browser, and room for a few apps.
    Honestly, you shouldn't buy any device that doesn't launch with the OS you are looking at. It's a mistake.

There is no real guarantee even the 9650 will get OS6.

Even if it does, how old will the 9650 be by the time it gets it? Upgraded devices fall behind the priority of newly launched devices with a new platform, usually significantly. It could be December this year or later for example, which at that point puts the 9650 in "old" territory, sure to be usurped by multiple devices that will launch with OS6 and better stats.

It's like waiting for device X to get an android kernel upgrade that happens a year after you think it will... By then, who cares.
    06-03-10 05:43 PM
    RIM really has a lot riding on OS6. For their sake it better be a home run!
    06-03-10 05:46 PM
    RIM really has a lot riding on OS6. For their sake it better be a home run!
    I feel as though the webkit browser will be the deal breaker for many.
    If it's good we will all be happy. If not, many may jump ship.
    With new phones coming out with killer browsers we can only hope that we can join in on the fun too. I feel as though OS 6 will have some tweaks and minor changes, but the browser will be the key. Many have been waiting patiently for an updated browser. Opera Mini has kept me content for a while now. Since they're having issues with the new updated BlackBerry OS's I'm afraid to upgrade.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-10 05:55 PM
    For every half a step forward Opera takes Bolt has been taking 2 (granted bolt 2.0's first release was pretty shaky). They've effectively caught up with Opera Mini in a way shorter time period. That combined with how infrequently Opera releases anything, I just don't really see them keeping up anymore...
    06-03-10 06:12 PM
    BB will always be a major player; however, Welcome to the fast life
    06-03-10 06:20 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD