When I connect other BB, I can see in the DM that there is a 6th icon called IP modem to connect as a wireless internet IP modem, but how come in my 9700 I can't do that?
    05-30-10 11:02 AM
    call to ur carrier in technical support those guys will help you to set up ur BB as modem coz there are some settings in internet connections in ur computer well i had the same problem and i called tech support and they help me set up. goodluck.
    05-30-10 11:25 AM
    It could be for a couple reasons... 1 your 9700 (whomever the carrier is) has disabled it... You need your current 9700 OS installed to your PC for the tethering to work... Those are the 2 main reasons...

Before you go tether/using your BB as a modem, make sure your carrier allows it other wise you may end up with a hefty bill... Some carriers bill per KB if you don't have a certain package, others don't allow it at all, and some have it included with your BB data plan... So call your carrier and see which one it is in your case.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-30-10 11:27 AM
    How do I enable tethering to work? I won't use it but it would be nice to have the option because when I go overseas, I would purchase the data plan to use it as modem. Right now I am in the USA using AT&T, so I don't need tethering.

I have the latest 680 OS.
    05-30-10 11:55 AM
    A simple way to test is to get the latest version of Desktop Manager. This has tethering built in. All you do is to install DM, connect your phone and select the Use BlackBerry as a modem option.

If tethering is going to work, it will work with that.

Be careful of extra carrier charges when you do tether. If you are intending to tether extensively, I suggest you call your carrier to see if they want more money for the privelege.
    05-30-10 12:06 PM
    I did have the latest DM, but when I connect DM with BB, it can only pop up 5 icons only, not 6 (the modem option is not visible). When I connect the DM with 8520, it connects and have 6 icons including the modem option.

I think it's disabled and I want to enable it.
    05-30-10 12:37 PM
    I did have the latest DM, but when I connect DM with BB, it can only pop up 5 icons only, not 6 (the modem option is not visible). When I connect the DM with 8520, it connects and have 6 icons including the modem option.

I think it's disabled and I want to enable it.
    Did you make sure you had the actual 9700 software on it? If you don't, you won't have the modem option. Not only DM, but the actual install package for the 9700. Run and install it if you haven't.
    05-30-10 07:13 PM
    I believe that AT&T will only allow tethering for an extra fee (if at all). On T-Mobile it is a no extra charge service.
    05-30-10 08:32 PM
    Did you make sure you had the actual 9700 software on it? If you don't, you won't have the modem option. Not only DM, but the actual install package for the 9700. Run and install it if you haven't.
    Yes, I upgraded my SW to 680, so before upgrade, I need to install the 680 package first.
    05-30-10 09:44 PM
    Why don't you just biy a tethering program? It is much cheaper than paying a monthly fee.

05-30-10 10:55 PM
    How do I enable tethering to work? I won't use it but it would be nice to have the option because when I go overseas, I would purchase the data plan to use it as modem. Right now I am in the USA using AT&T, so I don't need tethering.

I have the latest 680 OS.
    Unfortunately you need to use the ATT software to use tethering, I recommend calling att to get the software or looking for it on google. You also need provisioning from ATT as they require certain data plan to do it

05-30-10 11:52 PM
    I guess I made a bit of confusing post. If I want to use another prepaid SIM card to tether overseas, I still have to use AT&T SW? I don't want to tether here, I want to tether overseas.

I download the 680 OS, not AT&T, so I would think that there must be a way to enable this. I hate to have a feature disabled.
    05-31-10 12:06 AM
    yes any OS will work... as long as the OS is installed on the computer, along with DM! you need both, that is what some people are trying to explain... you need the desktop manager, and the device handheld software installed on the computer.

As far as tethering overseas, we cannot help you... which ever carrier you decide to use overseas will dictate if you will be able to tether as the same applies... if they allow it on there network...
    05-31-10 09:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD