I got my Bold today and the signal sucks in my area. I am so disappointed. I called AT&T and we checked the map (yeah, I'm a dork for not doing that first) and found out I live near degraded towers and also in an area of "sand traps". I am so broken hearted. They told me about the #002# trick to find a strong signal, but no go. My FIRST call on my new phone today, got dropped. I want to CRY!!!!!!!!!!
    08-14-09 01:21 AM
    Oops. Always check coverage. They are right, go back to Tmobile and give back the Bold, or unlock the Bold and use it on Tmobile if Tmobile has service in your area
    08-14-09 01:25 AM
    You really can't blame the carrier for this in my opinion. You said yourself that you did not check the coverage map.

Each carrier's coverage varies based on your location, this should be something you check when looking into a carrier.
    08-14-09 01:26 AM
    Thanks. I'm not blaming anyone but myself. I'm just sharing my grief over having to decide if I have to give up the phone I truly wanted. I still have my tmo account active and have not transferred my number. I have a bb 8820 with tmo and I do love it. I guess I'll have to give up the idea of a camera because these two are the only bb's I like right now. I have to say the Bold seems much cheaper than the 8820. I'll try this Bold out tomorrow around my neighborhood and make up my mind. Poor me.
    08-14-09 02:04 AM
    Well T-Mobile is getting the Driftwood, which is their version of the Onyx, which is basically an upgraded Bold, so maybe TMo will be your best bet.
    08-14-09 02:28 AM
    Try upgrading the os to .282 and you can switch to 2G mode. You might get good coverage when you set the device to 2G mode.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-09 04:52 AM
    That really does suck, just move to a place that has coverage lol

08-14-09 09:24 AM
    When we checked for better coverage (b/c Verizon wasn't good at our house or work - even tho' they have overall good coverage in our area) we asked neighbors and coworkers what carriers they used and what their coverage was like. The coverage maps sometimes don't pick up subtleties of the street address location coverages where you live and work.
    08-14-09 10:07 AM
    dont stay with att youll never get the best out of your bb's if you do...
    08-14-09 10:14 AM
    Where I live AT&T by far is the best as far as reception is concerned...and it's not a close call. I'm on EDGE and sometimes 3G out here..while Sprint/T-Mobile are not even on the screen.
    Not sure about Verizon because not many are on that plan that I know of out here..
    08-14-09 11:48 AM
    That really does suck, just move to a place that has coverage lol

Ultimate sign that you're hooked...sell your home and all assets so that your Crackberry can get into a 3G zone.
    08-14-09 11:49 AM
    What is the #002# trick?
    08-14-09 11:54 AM
    LOL what
    08-14-09 11:59 AM
    I got my Bold today and the signal sucks in my area. I am so disappointed. I called AT&T and we checked the map (yeah, I'm a dork for not doing that first) and found out I live near degraded towers and also in an area of "sand traps". I am so broken hearted. They told me about the #002# trick to find a strong signal, but no go. My FIRST call on my new phone today, got dropped. I want to CRY!!!!!!!!!!
    I feel your pain. I loved the bold, but AT&T coverage sucks where I live and the route I take during to/from work. Had to switch to Verizon. The tour isn't bad, but liked the bold better.
    08-14-09 12:07 PM
    Ultimate sign that you're hooked...sell your home and all assets so that your Crackberry can get into a 3G zone.
    That's funny. Op, as stated, you should try updating your OS and utilize 2g(edge)- if you plan on keeping it. Either way, good luck.
    08-14-09 12:07 PM
    That happened to me as well, well not as in depth as your case. Have a family plan and two of the phones that where on the account the users moved to North Carolina where it is a complete dead zone for AT&T. Call cust. care and to my suprise they cancelled the lines and waived all ETF. Which they didn't really have to do which was nice. Unfortnetly cell phone providers can not promise coverage everywhere. Sorry to see your going to have to give up your bold.
    08-14-09 01:36 PM
    I would suggest unlocking and returning to t-mo. The bold is a great device. I snapped one up after my iphone 3g lasted 4 months before breaking.

08-14-09 01:56 PM
    Very vague statement to say the least.
    08-14-09 05:10 PM
    I would suggest unlocking and returning to t-mo. The bold is a great device. I snapped one up after my iphone 3g lasted 4 months before breaking.

I too have an unlocked AT&T Bold on Tmo. I love it! 3g isn't that important to me, and I love my Bold. Plus my plan is pretty cheap, so it's win/win for me.

Good luck, don't settle for something you don't want, if you don't have to.
    08-14-09 05:25 PM
    According to who? AT&T is a very good carrier for a lot of people. I mean it is the second largest carrier in the US...

08-14-09 05:33 PM
    I would say to go the un locked route

08-14-09 06:31 PM
    My dad installed a cell booster on his house. We were getting 1/2 a bar now getting full bars. Must be cheep or he wouldn't have installed it.
    08-14-09 06:38 PM
    Yah, OP, it's your choice if you want to stay with at&t. But, every carrier has their own set of issues. Again, good luck with your decision.

08-14-09 09:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD