Hello everyone. This is my first blackberry so please bear with me.

i just got my bold today. i set up my emails via the email wizard. i can send and receive emails no problem, but i can not open attachments.

i have sent myself a jpeg, word .doc, and a pdf. i can not open any of these.

i have registered and updated documents to go. i have sent myself service books and i have registered my device.

any suggestions would be great. thank you in advance.
    06-20-09 02:44 AM
    ok i have 2 gmail emails on my blackberry and my work email. all 3 emails are also poped to my outlook.
    if i send an email from my outlook to one of the other accounts with an attachment i can not open the attachment, but if i log onto gmail and send an email to one of the other accounts the attachment is visible and i am able to open it.

why is this and how can i fix it?
    06-20-09 02:55 AM
    double check if you have attachment service books on blackberry.

if you don't have it, resync your bb with DM to update software. go to application loader and confirm attachment service is checked so it can be download to your bb.
    06-20-09 09:13 AM
    Yeah make sure that "Blackberry Attachment Service" is installed and everything will be fine

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-09 11:33 AM
    double check if you have attachment service books on blackberry.

if you don't have it, resync your bb with DM to update software. go to application loader and confirm attachment service is checked so it can be download to your bb.
    sorry but how do i check if i have attachment service books?

i did attach my device to teh DM and updated it but it said everything was up to date.

thanks again for your help.
    06-20-09 03:33 PM
    Go to Options, Advanced Options then Applications.

See if Blackberry Attachment Service is there.

06-20-09 03:46 PM
    Go to Options, Advanced Options then Applications.

See if Blackberry Attachment Service is there.

there is nothing there that says "Blackberry Attachments Service" i have the "Service Book", but not "Blackberry Attachments Service"

so do i get "Blackberry Attachments Service" ???
    06-20-09 04:31 PM
    You need to download and install (on your PC) your Operating System of your Bold.

After installation open Desktop Manager and see if it is there to install.

06-20-09 04:54 PM
    You need to download and install (on your PC) your Operating System of your Bold.

After installation open Desktop Manager and see if it is there to install.

i loaded the device manager onto my pc. how do i see if it has "Blackberry Attachments Service"?

and what do you mean download and install the operating system for my bold? how do i do that?

again thank you for bearing with me. this is all new to me.
    06-20-09 05:02 PM
    i loaded the device manager onto my pc. how do i see if it has "Blackberry Attachments Service"?

and what do you mean download and install the operating system for my bold? how do i do that?

again thank you for bearing with me. this is all new to me.
    I am assuming that you have the original Operating System on your Bold. If you bought it new and have not done anything with it then you will want to go here BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites

Find your country and your provider and download the OS for the Bold. When I go to AT&T it lists them under PTT EMR Patch.

You will download your Bold's Operating System. Install it on your PC then open Desktop Manager.

Plug your Bold into your computer. In Desktop Manager you want to go to Application Loader then Add/Remove Applications. Look and see if Blackberry Attachment Service is listed. If you check the box and update your Bold it should be there after a reboot.
    06-20-09 06:09 PM
    ^^^
    yeah my bold is new and all i have done is loaded a few apps.

thanks again so much for your help. i will give it a try.
    06-20-09 08:51 PM
    During this process is also a good time NOT to check the box for any application you would not like to load on your BB. Good luck
    06-20-09 08:56 PM
    That is another good tip. You can remove other applications just by unchecking them.

06-20-09 09:01 PM
    so is this comparable to reloading windows OS or reformatting the hard drive on my PC?

and is loading the BB OS onto my computer going to hurt it?
    06-20-09 10:00 PM
    so is this comparable to reloading windows OS or reformatting the hard drive on my PC?

and is loading the BB OS onto my computer going to hurt it?
    No to both. It is a good idea to have your Blackberry OS loaded on you PC in case you need to reinstall anything on your Bold. You are not reloading the whole OS on your Bold. You are just updating software on it.

If what I told you above does not work for adding the attachment service then you may need to reinstall the entire OS, which is really not that big of a deal. It is much less daunting then reloading Windows OS.
    06-21-09 10:32 AM
    No to both. It is a good idea to have your Blackberry OS loaded on you PC in case you need to reinstall anything on your Bold. You are not reloading the whole OS on your Bold. You are just updating software on it.

If what I told you above does not work for adding the attachment service then you may need to reinstall the entire OS, which is really not that big of a deal. It is much less daunting then reloading Windows OS.
    ok, thanks for the help.

hopefully final question. which one do i download?

damnit. i cant post links yet. maybe this will work.

ww w. blackberry.co m/Downloads/browseSoftware.do

These are my options on the page

Software For BlackBerry® Bold (TM) 9000 smartphone

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.6.0.438 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 4.6.0.438
    Consisting of:

* Applications: 4.6.0.167
    * Software Platform: 4.0.0.217
    * File name: 9000M_PBr4.6.0_rel438_PL4.0.0.217_A4.6.0.167_AT_am p_T.exe
    * File size: 93.32MB

Note: The Software Platform and Applications version numbers can be found under Options-About screen on the handheld.

* Download Software

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.6.0.438 (EastAsia)

Package Version: 4.6.0.438
    Consisting of:

* Software Platform: 4.0.0.217
    * File name: 9000jEastAsia_PBr4.6.0_rel438_PL4.0.0.217_A4.6.0.1 67_AT_amp_T.exe
    * File size: 95MB

Note: The Software Platform and Applications version numbers can be found under Options-About screen on the handheld.

* Download Software

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.6.0.298 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 4.6.0.298
    Consisting of:

* Software Platform: 4.0.0.157
    * File name: 9000M_PBr4.6.0_rel298_PL4.0.0.157_A4.6.0.167_AT&T. exe
    * File size: 93.32MB

* Download Software

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.6.0.298 (EastAsia)

Package Version: 4.6.0.298
    Consisting of:

* Software Platform: 4.0.0.157
    * File name: 9000jEastAsia_PBr4.6.0_rel298_PL4.0.0.157_A4.6.0.1 67_AT&T.exe
    * File size: 95MB

* Download Software
    06-21-09 02:20 PM
    You don't need the EastAsia unless you live there. Do what it states lastly about going into Options About and check your Applications version and Software Platform. They shouls match one of those above.

Mine is v4.6.0.167, Software Platform: 4.0.0.157

06-21-09 04:26 PM
    You don't need the EastAsia unless you live there. Do what it states lastly about going into Options About and check your Applications version and Software Platform. They shouls match one of those above.

Mine is v4.6.0.167, Software Platform: 4.0.0.157

ok mine is v4.6.0.167, Software Platform 4.0.0.217

so i assume i would need the multilanguae? yes i am not in east asia. lol

so i wish do i download?
    06-21-09 05:27 PM
    Yes, multilanguage.

06-21-09 09:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD