View Poll Results: Do you think dcompworld.com is running a scam?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

43 95.56%
  • no

2 4.44%
    So tonight I was surfing for Bold and found cellhut.com has them for 720 u.s. and then stumbled on dcompworld.com that has them for 399 u.s.
    I thought this was weird as I didn't even think there were any available yet other then the 3 on ebay. So I email the link under the Bold's pic on the webpage for dcompworld.com and ask if this was for real or preorder. I get an email back within seconds saying that this is for real and how many do I want?
    Well I figure that there has to be a catch so I ask how many do I have to order to get a discount. The reply comes back right away:

"Price per unit -- $400

Shipping is $25 to your delivery location.

Buy 3 and get 1 Free.

Payment is via western union money transfer so we can send you tracking details same day you send payment.

Do you know where a Western union agent is located?"

Well I really don't understand why I would have to pay with Western Union, as their website says they accept Paypal (under FAQ) so I tell him/her that I would go with Paypal and the reply to that was:

"We are currently having problems with our credit card processor.

so we take only western union money transfer payments"

So I am asking the membership: Do you think this is a scam or for real?
    05-20-08 11:23 PM
    It's A Scam
    05-20-08 11:25 PM
    Figured so, that's why I sent the last reply back with "Well you have my email address. Let me know when you get that fixed."
    And of course I haven't gotten another reply.
    But seriously, check out that website! Can you believe that? How can someone get away with scamming the public like that?? With a website and everything!
    05-20-08 11:31 PM
    Lol... Whether it's a scam or not, I rather use CC. All I have to do is call them up on a dispute.
    05-20-08 11:39 PM
    Glad ur not a fool. Too good to be true...usually is

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-08 11:54 PM
    this was the same thing that happened to me on ebay, some person e-mailed me asking me to send them money via western union because their paypal account was having problems. i figured something was wrong so i never sent the money obviously as it was a huge scam to begin with.
    05-21-08 12:02 AM
    But seriously, check out that website! Can you believe that? How can someone get away with scamming the public like that?? With a website and everything!
    I don't think they're running a scam. I know they are. And while some scams are obvious due to their poor grammar and/or obvious spelling mistakes, others are harder to spot. But while I didn't check out the website, I can almost guarantee you (without looking), that they can get away with it because either:

a) You didn't read the fine print, which would undoubtedly save their butts when you tried to get your money back or complain

or

b) The company is based in a foreign country. In many foreign countries, scams like this are either legal or nearly impossible to stop. Western Union Money transfers are often wired to fake names or strange addresses that leave investigators with almost no clue as to the receiver's whereabouts.
    05-21-08 12:13 AM
    Def a Scam...half the phones on the site are not even available yet..ie Bold...Xperia etc..etc..Big scam bait waiting to happen.
    05-21-08 12:27 AM
    I don't think they're running a scam. I know they are. And while some scams are obvious due to their poor grammar and/or obvious spelling mistakes, others are harder to spot. But while I didn't check out the website, I can almost guarantee you (without looking), that they can get away with it because either:

a) You didn't read the fine print, which would undoubtedly save their butts when you tried to get your money back or complain

or

b) The company is based in a foreign country. In many foreign countries, scams like this are either legal or nearly impossible to stop. Western Union Money transfers are often wired to fake names or strange addresses that leave investigators with almost no clue as to the receiver's whereabouts.
    also to add to above:
    if you setup a "legitimate business website", u are not gonna using yahoo email like this guy.

and by the way, this guy address is in Nor Cal
    but his phone number is Los Angeles, so cal

Can we call it Stinky?
    05-21-08 12:34 AM
    After all it looks like a scam.
    05-21-08 12:37 AM
    Scam! Once you send the western union, you can't get your money back!

Don't do it!

05-21-08 02:14 AM
    To me it sounds like the same guy that started thesprintstore.net. Claiming to have phones that aren't released. He was exposed as a scam and turned into Sprint Corporate Security, low and behold his "store" and blog were taken down.

This looks all too familiar how in the heck can he send you the Bold or the Instinct when both haven't been released?

And the yahoo e-mail!
    05-21-08 11:32 AM
    Sounds like a scam for sure! Buy 3 get 1 free?? LMAO!

There're so many websites scamming people for so many products...apart from BBs...so I'm not surprised that this one's up there. I know some that have been there for about 5 years and are still active! I wonder how they manage that w/o getting caught....!
    05-21-08 11:38 AM
    Not to mention the copyright at the bottom of their site leads one to believe they have been in business since 2006. However a quick check of the registration information shows they have started the site April 11, 2008.

Domain Name.......... dcompworld.com
    Creation Date........ 2008-04-11
    Registration Date.... 2008-04-11
    Expiry Date.......... 2009-04-11
    Organisation Name.... Jean Hall
    Organisation Address. 817 Marshall Ave
    Organisation Address.
    Organisation Address. Colonial Beach
    Organisation Address. 22443
    Organisation Address. VA
    Organisation Address. UNITED STATES

Admin Name........... Jean Hall
    Admin Address........ 817 Marshall Ave
    Admin Address........
    Admin Address........ Colonial Beach
    Admin Address........ 22443
    Admin Address........ VA
    Admin Address........ UNITED STATES
    Admin Email.......... [email protected]
    Admin Phone.......... +1.2062024203
    Admin Fax............
    05-21-08 11:57 AM
    Wow, the address isn't even CLOSE to the one they claim for the company.
    05-21-08 11:58 AM
    Ladys and Gents (and others) I will let you know that [I] tried to buy 6 bolds off their web site and emailed them and asked if someone would call me to wire them some monies. BINGO they called and I started to drill them on many questions so many the guy hung up on me( I think I was on to him). So everyone out there thats is the Coustomer Service you will get. Also when you try to call their phone # you get some goofy recording telling you to visit some web site and get some free minutes (or something) to connect to this phone. BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!!!
    05-21-08 12:41 PM
    Glad ur not a fool. Too good to be true...usually is

Lol ..............I agree!!!!!!
    05-21-08 01:18 PM
    Out of curiosity I emailed them to see if the Bold was available and ready to ship. This is the email response I received:

Hello,

Yes we have it in stock now and ready to be shipped.

Kindly email me your delivery address so we can proceed.

Regards,
    Gilbert

Now I'm sold, LOL!!!!!!
    05-21-08 01:45 PM
    Good job not falling for a simple scam like that. Other Crackberry addicts might not have been as reluctant.
    05-21-08 01:54 PM
    someone should report this site. Some poor guy out there may fall victim to this scam artist.

05-21-08 01:55 PM
    When it sounds too good to be true...it is. Also, NEVER anything via wire transfer. It's always a scam. Any company worth a $1 will take a CC and it protects you.
    05-21-08 08:12 PM
    lmao, I just checked that site out,, that place is a hardcore scam,, gmail address for a "reputable" business, western union as payment, selling phones not even out for rather cheap,, yeah,, beware
    05-29-08 02:01 AM
    Good info. No doubt indeed, SCAM. Stay away people.
    05-29-08 02:12 AM
    I fell for this... did the CC first and then it didn't charge my card and "Gilbert" emailed me RIGHT AWAY stating that they're CC processor was down. So i waited a few days and then did Western Union...well he kept emailing me saying he had problems getting the money... i even emailed him a pic of my reciept!!! lol... silly me!!! i wanted that BOLD so bad...

well....I ended up having to find out from Western Union that the RECIEVER name "stephanie townsend" was suspicious of being involved in FRAUD. So they wouldn't send the money through without certain things from this "stephanie" individual..i just told them to refund me...and they did so by giving me a new MTCN... I picked up my money...

crazy thing is I helped a friend lock up a dude that was finally caught in PARIS an entire year later after stealing $1000 from her... so i'm so glad that in this case..Western Union was on their job.

I still have my FBI connects...i'm gonna sick 'em on this Gilbert Bailon fella... i even searched him on myspace and found only one Gilbert Bailon...could be him.....hmmmm....

What do ya'll say? Leave 'em be or turn him in?
    06-07-08 04:36 AM
    Sorry to hear about all you had to go though. If it was me I wouldn't even have to ask. Hang Him out to dry.
    06-07-08 04:44 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD