I'm a dedicated Blackberry user, but the HTC Touch Diamond is looking pretty sexy and seems like it would hold up in the business realm much more than an iPhone.

What do people think?
    Anyone swayed by the features of the Touch Diamond?

Why should (or shouldn't) I stay with my Blackberry Bold?

Thoughts?
    09-15-08 05:44 PM
    If you really want an WM phone, and love BB full keyboard. Wait, and get the Pro. It is going to have full keyboard and push email for hotmail account.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-08 05:52 PM
    Again another touchscreen. If you prefer touchscreens, then I would say wait for the Htc diamond. But i can bet, the diamond will be much more costly than the bold. The diamond will also be easier to carry around in your pocket than the bold. The bold will be release soon. So if you are someone who wants to wait a while longer, then diamond is all yours.
    09-15-08 05:52 PM
    or wait for the BB storm?

09-15-08 06:01 PM
    I'm having a hard time as I really like the touchscreen idea, but feel like the Blackberry is just better for business. I'm not sure if this is just in my head. I wonder if it is just the marketing getting to me.

Does Blackberry still have the business edge or are the touchscreens starting to win now?

Advantages of the Bold:
    full QWERTY keyboard
    better integration into my work network
    better email
    more robust case

Advantages of iPhone/Windows Mobile
    touch screen features
    sexy design
    easier to use UI
    some have full keyboards now (HTC Touch Pro)

What am I missing?
    09-15-08 06:04 PM
    Xperia, Touch HD, iWhatever.... meh. On PDAs, phones and tablets I've always felt the same: initial WOW factor, then a gradual slide into annoyance over the lack of precision and the longing for an actual keyboard to get stuff typed quickly and accurately. With deft use of shortcut keys I defy anyone to get stuff done quicker than on a Blackberry to be honest.

Right now more than ever, thanks to the iPod you could sell truckloads of turds if you slapped a shiny bit of full length glass/plastic on 'em.

Oh yeah, have you actually seen the likes of the HTC Touch models in real life? Seen the finger print magnetic powers then struggled to see the display in strong sunlight?

Regardless of how 'sexy' and so on, at the end of the day the Touch Pro is still a fancied up WM... and I'm not going back there.
    09-15-08 06:53 PM
    I won't ever use a touchscreen phone again. The iPhone ruined it for me. I am sure the Storm/Thunder will be awesome too but never again...

HTC's are way too pricey anyway.

09-15-08 07:46 PM
    And ch33ky nailed it on the head when he said that no matter how fancy of a phone it is, it's still a WM phone. Run!

09-15-08 07:47 PM
    The diamond feels very cheap in the hand imo, before I moved to BB I was all but decided to upgrade my TYTN II to one.

I will admit though that the new models that HTC have just announced look tempting at least they would if I had not just got the bold.

I love my bold and all it lacks is the larger screen and a decent browser.
    09-16-08 03:41 AM
    The Diamond is a beautiful device, but once you get used to the tactile qwery keyboard of a BB, its very difficult to change IMO.

If anything, go for the touch PRO, i believe you will most likely us the QWERTY rather than the touchscreen ... touchscreens are tedious, and NO phone on the market have perfected it, not even the Iphone!
    09-16-08 05:34 AM
    I've been using HTC phones for years and felt (still do!) the best unit they made (for heavy email users) was the Universal....truely a best of both worlds piece of kit..just a bit bulky.

Anyway, I broke mine, could not get a replacement so opted for a Touch Diamond and bought a 'grey' import unit via Expansys on day of launch.

It looked good, worked ok (better, after few ROM upgrades) and away I went. Result? Great as a phone / OK media player / good GPS for sat nav and the tilty acelerometer game Tweater is a good way to waste time...but if you need to do any qty of email then the tippidy tappity pen / screen option is very tedious, and you do have to squint to see the 'keys' in most light conditions.

I now wanted a 3G sim from Orange UK for the Diamond and they'd only give me one if I had a 3G contract (my contract device was still the GSM Uni)...so I had to upgrade and I thought, on spec's, the Bold looked good (even though I had no intention of using it!) - but the big selling point was the screen as this was always the thing that kept me away from BB's; just thought there were all too 1990's!.

So I walked out with one...did not realise it was day 1 of availability and I took the 1 and only unit this branch had! I got the box open and thought I'd just try it......

.....so, the Diamond is now in my car's glove box as my emergency handset and the Bold is my new found, credible Universal replacement - great for email, an intuative interface, great screen (better than the Diamonds) and well, what can I say....I wont be going back to a touch screen unit when there is no massive benefit in doing so. The Bold is a much more productive unit and now, finally, I can see why BB users all seem to rave about them...
    09-16-08 10:36 AM
    I think we can lock this thread now, brother Crookie would surely convert the darkest of souls.

Amen.

09-16-08 10:55 AM
    Amen and Hallelujah!
    09-16-08 11:32 AM
    I had loan of a touch diamond for a week. It frequently slowed down/crashed and had a shocking battery life of between 6 to 8 hours. Very pretty device but found I hadto use the stylus a lot. Also had a tytyn II which I returned. Bold beats then both hands down.

09-16-08 12:04 PM
    WM= no thanks!

09-16-08 12:13 PM
    I used to be a huge Pocket PC guy and used all kinds of different ones before I started using BlackBerry.

All I can say is that no matter how sexy the HTC Diamond looks (and it does look pretty sleek), it's still Windows Mobile behind that cool interface.

WM just isn't my thing but I think it works for alot of people. Just my two cents...
    09-16-08 12:30 PM
    I am not a fan of Windows or touchscreens.... but the touch diamond is capable of HSDPA 7.2 Mbps where as the Bold is only capable of 3.6 Mbps.
    Its twice as fast as the BOLD. ooooooohhhhhhhh......... must not get..hate windows mobile.... but 7.2Mbps .. oohhhhhhh

Oops, I forgot that with at&t and Rogers you are lucky if you can even utilize the 3.6 Mbps.

But for the rest of us...... still oooohhhhhhhh
    Last edited by dubai_bb; 09-17-08 at 08:40 AM.
    09-17-08 08:37 AM
    And RIM sure has proven themselves. I'm having a similar dilemma, but still am leaning towards the BOLD.

I sometimes thing that these new phones would be 'okay', but do they have the same experience with PDAs as the BB?
    09-17-08 11:56 AM
    I just recently upgraded to the bb curve 8330. I previously owned an HTC touch. I like the WM but i also like the curve. when the htc pro comes out im gonna have both the curve and the pro. the best of both worlds!!!
    09-17-08 11:39 PM
    If I think a phone is nice, I look at the OS, if it has Windows anywhere within 10 feet of the phone name, I run.

I can't stand windows though. Not on a computer, nothing. I would NEVER want it on my phone.

The only thing that sucks, is that if you don't want WM, you are VERY limited. You have S60, BB, or iPhone.
    09-18-08 12:20 AM
    Stick to hatting windows - join the club & get ready to flip the bird (the finger) at all Windows products you ever see
    I agree I agree..... but joey.... 7.2Mbps and you know Etisalat can handle it. Imagine the speed browsing on it or tethering it........
    09-18-08 01:32 AM
    Go look at xda-developers_dot_com and view the forums...it's interesting reading if you're tempted by the touchy feely winmob units.

Tellin' ya, you may regret it..speed is not everything!
    09-18-08 02:29 AM
    I know.... I had an HTC Tytan 2, and Touch Dual

I love my Bold, it just sucks that it took this long for rim to put out a 3G device, the Bold is not released everywhere yet and other manufacturers are already putting out 7.2 Mbps devices.
    Last edited by dubai_bb; 09-18-08 at 04:01 AM.
    09-18-08 02:58 AM
    May your preference be respected. As for mine, Blackberry for life.

09-18-08 03:18 AM
    As you can see in my signature, i've tried WM, S60, S40 and everything in between ...

Nothing beats a BB in my opinion.

7.2 is great, but im happy with my BB
    09-18-08 04:49 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD