I'm having multiple problems with my 9930 and am thinking of wiping the device and starting from scratch. I guess I'm just looking for advice/help.

By way of background, the device has seemed sluggish lately. After I installed BlackBerry Navigation last night, I started having new keyboard and trackpad problems. Since I have a history of installing apps to try and then removing them if I don't like them (lather, rinse, repeat), I wonder if that might be contributing to the problems I've been having, i.e. do deleted apps leave "junk" behind that might affect performance?

What I would like to do is wipe the device, reinstall the OS, then one-by-one add back the apps I have been using. Then if I'm still having problems, I'll consider the possibility of a hardware problem. What is the best way to go about this?
    04-25-13 06:04 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...-6-0-a-626997/ will guide you through the steps. It says OS 6; however it works for OS 7 as well.
    04-25-13 06:38 PM
    There are numerous ways to wipe.
    I would recommend using the desktop app called BBH Tool (formerly Shrink-A-OS).

In the Phone Tools tab, towards the bottom you'll see option to wipe device.

First though, what OS are you currently running? Do you know how to find that? (Looking for the "app version" of the OS.)

To answer one of your other questions, yes it's possible that some apps have left things behind such as settings folders or a cache.
    After the wipe and then loading an OS, I'd recommend doing a selective Restore using DM since you may have leftover files that can be eliminated this way.
    04-25-13 06:41 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...-6-0-a-626997/ will guide you through the steps. It says OS 6; however it works for OS 7 as well.
    I wouldn't recommend that thread for several reasons.

1. It doesn't do a complete wipe. Using Loader to upgrade your OS does a wipe, and that was almost always good enough for me, but it's not the same level wipe as you get with BBHTool or BBSAK which results in the "white screen of death" error 507, meaning there is no OS present, nor anything else.

2. It will give you your carrier's latest OS release, not necessarily the best or newest available.

3. Weird advice about not restoring for 24 hours. I get the idea, but then it just tells you to restore stuff after that.

4. While conducting an OS update with DM works just fine for many, in my experience it is more prone to failures than just using the Loader file directly.

5. There is no opportunity to shrink the OS. It can be done, but not by following the instructions exactly.
    04-25-13 06:57 PM
    Thanks for the thoughts. I'm downloading BBHTool and will check that out.

First though, what OS are you currently running? Do you know how to find that? (Looking for the "app version" of the OS.)
    7.1 Bundle 1737 (v7.1.0.580, Platform 5.1.0.429)
    I'm on Sprint, if that matters.
    04-25-13 09:06 PM
    that OS you are running is pretty old. upgrade to a newer version

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    04-26-13 11:56 PM