Day 3 with my new BB 9900 and I installed the Slider Lock app from BB World.

Application Resource Monitor keeps closing this app because it is draining the battery.
    It's a shame that Application Resource Monitor does not provide any useful information about the battery drain on individual apps.

I have stopped ARM from closing this app for now, but it would be nice if there is a way to see how much of a problem the Slider Lock app is for battery life and whether I should stop using it if it is making a significant difference.

Are there any tools on the 9900 that show resource use?
    03-17-13 04:33 PM

Application Resource Monitor keeps closing this app because it is draining the battery.
    It's a shame that Application Resource Monitor does not provide any useful information about the battery drain on individual apps.

I have stopped ARM from closing this app for now, but it would be nice if there is a way to see how much of a problem the Slider Lock app is for battery life and whether I should stop using it if it is making a significant difference.

go to Options - > device > advanced system settings > blackberry device analyser -> battery test.. It will start initial test and after that it will monitor the battery drain trends, with close look at what drained the batter at what time of the day.
    03-17-13 06:18 PM

Unfortunately the BBDA (Blackberry Device Analyzer) will only provide overall general battery trends and not data for specific applications.

Also it does not necessarily mean that the resources that the ARM (Application Resource Monitor) is being flagged for is for battery drain.

Most likely it is being flagged for CPU usage, unnecessary up-time, or memory drain/leak.

I would recommend using the Application Management module on the device to see exactly what is happening with that specific application.
    Especially at the same exact time when the ARM flags it and alerts you about it.

Go into Options->Device->Application Management.
    After your list of applications populates you can highlight the top selection bar and scroll left or right to see your applications, CPU usage, actual usage on the device (up-time), and memory usage. Within each of these categories you can scroll down to see exactly what the Slider Lock app itself is doing. As far as I know this is the only way to see what resource each specific application is utilizing as opposed to general battery drain logs.

Hope this helps.
    03-18-13 01:30 AM
    Just to add...
    In a direct answer to the thread title, I really don't think it (ARM) is actually useful unless it is allowed to shut down applications automatically.

Other than that, I personally believe it should contain all of the information that is present in the Application Management module for the specific application that it flags so you know exactly what you're dealing with. Ex: WHY was an app flagged to be shut down???...

I feel the same about the BBDA because it just records battery drain levels for specific time periods. I mean, if you pay attention to your device, you know when the battery starts to get low due to call time, browser time, movie watching, etc. You also know when your are charging the device or not. I would even venture to say that you know something is wrong and your device is charging too slowly when you've been charging overnight and you only have 40% when you wake up. It's kinda common sense to me, and does not provide real information that you do not already know.

Just my opinion. Others may feel differently.
    03-18-13 01:44 AM
    Unfortunately the BBDA (Blackberry Device Analyzer) will only provide overall general battery trends and not data for specific applications.

Also it does not necessarily mean that the resources that the ARM (Application Resource Monitor) is being flagged for is for battery drain.

Most likely it is being flagged for CPU usage, unnecessary up-time, or memory drain/leak.

I would recommend using the Application Management module on the device to see exactly what is happening with that specific application.
    Especially at the same exact time when the ARM flags it and alerts you about it.

Go into Options->Device->Application Management.
    After your list of applications populates you can highlight the top selection bar and scroll left or right to see your applications, CPU usage, actual usage on the device (up-time), and memory usage. Within each of these categories you can scroll down to see exactly what the Slider Lock app itself is doing. As far as I know this is the only way to see what resource each specific application is utilizing as opposed to general battery drain logs.

Hope this helps.
    Very interesting. Thank you.
    I can see the following resource use by the Slider Lock app:
    Current CPU = 0%
    Usage today = 50 seconds
    Memory = 3.5MB

This does not seems too horrendous to me.
    03-18-13 08:36 AM
    Very interesting. Thank you.
    I can see the following resource use by the Slider Lock app:
    Current CPU = 0%
    Usage today = 50 seconds
    Memory = 3.5MB

This does not seems too horrendous to me.
    Not at all... Except for the size of the application itself... Wow!
    IMO, that thing is huge for a slider/lock screen type of application.
    I normally have seen slider/lock screen applications run at about 200kb to 400kb max.
    I'm not saying that your application falls into this category (and I'm sure the developer would disagree lol ), but from my experience when simple apps like this are so large, they are not written/coded very well. That could be why it is getting flagged, but I obviously cannot say for sure.

The most important thing is to look at this data when it gets flagged by the ARM because at that time is when it should show you what resources are being pushed to the limits to be shut down. It may not be showing all that the app is doing if you just casually happen to look in there randomly. Also, you can click on the selection header to see trend over the time span of Now, Today, Yesterday, This week, and Last week to see the "bigger picture" of what has been happening.

Unfortunately the decision to make is... If you want to keep the application, can you stand it being flagged often? If not, can you live with it draining your device resources if you tell the ARM not to shut it down so you can continue to use it, or if you want to delete it and possibly find another similar application that does not drain the device's resources as much. There are well coded alternatives out there that are not constantly getting flagged for shut down. Just have to look around....

Hope this helps
    03-18-13 09:59 AM
    You know something... Now that I've thought about it, I believe you may be reporting the actual current "Memory" usage as opposed to the "Memory" used for the "Application Size".

If this is indeed the case, that is most likely why the ARM is getting flagged. I see no reason why a slider lock app that should be sitting dormant in the back round until needed/used would need 3.5mb to do so.

I apologize if I read that previous post incorrectly, but the gist is still the same...
    03-18-13 10:30 AM
    You know something... Now that I've thought about it, I believe you may be reporting the actual current "Memory" usage as opposed to the "Memory" used for the "Application Size".

If this is indeed the case, that is most likely why the ARM is getting flagged. I see no reason why a slider lock app that should be sitting dormant in the back round until needed/used would need 3.5mb to do so.

I apologize if I read that previous post incorrectly, but the gist is still the same...
    Thanks again.

I have sent an email to the developer querying the app's resource usage, but have not received a response yet.
    03-18-13 04:26 PM