My top left "clicker" button has been broken for sometime (altho I've had it no longer than 2 months) so whenever the "YOUR KEYPAD IS LOCKED PRESS BUTTON TO UNLOCK" propmt arrivied I proceed to button mash my BB until it unlocks which sometimes may be seconds or sometimes doesn't ever work and I have to battery pull to get into my phone via passcode code. Thus my question is two fold; how is it that I'm able to unlock the keypad when I button mash the keyboard Twhat is the keypad shortcut that unlocks the keypad?) & is it a hardwear issue that the LEFT BUTTON no longer works or is it a change due to my OS of 6.0.0.524?) ....and since im already here, in some(most) of my menus (apps or homescreen) I an only scroll thru the options/icons while holding alt OR shift.. Is this also a OS upgrade/change becuz it wasn't like this at first.
    ANY AND ALL HELP APPRECIATED!
    Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-11 12:11 AM
    My top left "clicker" button has been broken for sometime (altho I've had it no longer than 2 months) so whenever the "YOUR KEYPAD IS LOCKED PRESS BUTTON TO UNLOCK" propmt arrivied I proceed to button mash my BB until it unlocks which sometimes may be seconds or sometimes doesn't ever work and I have to battery pull to get into my phone via passcode code. Thus my question is two fold; how is it that I'm able to unlock the keypad when I button mash the keyboard Twhat is the keypad shortcut that unlocks the keypad?) & is it a hardwear issue that the LEFT BUTTON no longer works or is it a change due to my OS of 6.0.0.524?) ....and since im already here, in some(most) of my menus (apps or homescreen) I an only scroll thru the options/icons while holding alt OR shift.. Is this also a OS upgrade/change becuz it wasn't like this at first.
    ANY AND ALL HELP APPRECIATED!
    Thanks

I had os 6.0.0.524 and I never had any trouble. I don't think it s your OS. Could be a hardware problem. To lock I press the "a" key but it doesn't unlock it. I will search for an alternate way to unlock keyboard.

Since you have another change in operation as well, maybe you should change the OS to 6.0.0.600 and see if the issues resolve?
    08-27-11 07:53 AM
    Okay that's makes sense thanks... How exactly do I go about doing that, I'm a verizon customer and this is my first bb. Can anyone supply me w/ a link or description??

Thanks for the quick response jaydee

08-28-11 04:19 AM
    Here are step by step instructions for you:

http://m.crackberry.com/blackberry-1...ting-system-os

The link to download the .600 OS from sprint can be found in the first sticky thread at the top of this page.

koolwitoutaid likes this.
    08-29-11 05:56 AM
    It would be good to find this out. Did you try that key combo people use to unlock the screen on a non password protected phone? (I forget what it is.) I would be surprised if a key combo exists, though I'm a bit surprised one doesn't. Also, there's a thread around here somewhere that gives instructions on how to fix that top unlock button. Apparently it's not too difficult just something you have to be careful with.

08-29-11 07:36 AM
    @tonis (I know you said you forgot wat is but maybe someone/anyone else know?) the key combo to unlock the screen? That's exactly what I'm looking for. I think I've been entering it on accident whenevr I button mash

&& thank you for the link diaryfarmer

08-29-11 01:48 PM
    People who don't use a password can hit *SEND to unlock a device that's keypad locked, but I just tried that, and it doesn't work on my device that uses a password. You could try it anyway. You might get lucky.

08-29-11 10:40 PM
    pull off the earpeice.
    the gel sticker seems loose.

put it opposite of the mute key one and it should be fixed.

happened to my mute key once.

08-29-11 11:48 PM
    My top left "clicker" button has been broken for sometime (altho I've had it no longer than 2 months)

If you've had the phone no longer than two months, why not call VZW and have it replaced? If you bought it new, and you have not caused any physical damage to the phone, it should be covered by the one year warranty.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    08-30-11 12:41 AM
    @tonis thanks again but *SEND didn't work for me either =/

@deathcommand I would only fry off the cover like that as a last resort. Too much risk for a f*ckup on my part

@underway yea that's what I ended up doing. Went to VZW today and my replacement should be here next week (free of charge thanks asurion insurance)

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR RESPONSES. ILL BE SURE TO POST ON CRACKBERRY WHENEVR I HAVE AN ISSUE

09-03-11 03:22 AM
    You can use the stock BB holster. It auto locks and dims the phone. And it reverses that when removed.

My fiancee's Tour has a worn out lock button. She's now quite happy using the holster.

First --I had read all over on this forum to find a key combo that could be used. * send does not work on OS5 and up far as I know. And there is no other combo nor a way to create one.

09-03-11 05:09 AM
    ((Before beginning, you need to know that it is not possible to re-program the unlock button on a Bold 9650. While pressing "*/A" and programming the left/right convenience keys (via Options->Device->Convenience Keys) can lock the device, there is no alternative way to unlock it. So you are stuck with the lock/unlock button. That being said...))
    ---
    The lock/unlock button actually most likely isn't broken. The problem is that there is a rubber-like pellet (see photo below) that buffers the casing from the actual button that makes contact on the BB's circuit board. If pushing the lock/unlock button is difficult--or worse, non-responsive--what most likely happened is that the rubber pellet has slipped a little bit, and needs to be slid back into place.

Thus, a minor surgery is needed. But don't be scared off just yet! I just did the surgery myself, and it is quite painless (in terms of frustration, even for the mechanically challenged).

First, look at and study segment 1:30-1:50 in the YouTube video link:

Be sure to really study the motions employed to "lift" the piece, in order to release the two fasteners. You don't have to take the whole piece off; with the fasteners lifted, there is just enough space to fiddle and re-position the rubber pellet.

NOTE #1: Since I am inexperienced, and didn't use the right tool (that provided enough "lift" motion), I actually broke the fasteners. But not to worry! The adhesive strip below is quite strong, and thus the piece doesn't really move (unless you try prying it back). If you use the correct tool (pic posted below), you can avoid my fate.

NOTE #2: Notice the broken fasteners in the pic below :-/ But also notice the leverage (considerable, actually) I had to exert to lift the piece to snap a picture. Even with the broken fasteners, the piece is 98% sturdy in place

NOTE #3: If you are looking for the yellow tool (pictured below), put in "hard cover snap-on case removal tool" in the browser search box. Notice how it juts out just a bit at the end/nose. This allows the tool to "grab" and provide that "lift" motion.
    Last edited by MJAUDC; 09-08-11 at 03:00 PM.
    09-08-11 01:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD