That's correct. An IT policy can (and often does) mandate a password. That's typical for BlackBerry devices in a corporate environment. If you bought it used for personal use, you can remove the policy. If this is your work phone, you can't.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I bought my BlackBerry for personal use. When I first had it, there was no password, so I went to set it. Now (for some reasons) I don't want the password anymore, and I can't disable it. There is a little red lock beside the password. How can I resolve this?
    04-02-10 04:23 AM

It's also a good idea to put a number to call in case the BlackBerry is found in your owner info field. That way, if somebody finds your locked BlackBerry, they can call you to return it. I lost mine in the Washington DC Metro. Because it was locked with a number to call if found, I had it back in four hours.
    What a great tip, I had never though of that.

Done it now though.

Thanks!

04-02-10 05:13 AM
    I bought my BlackBerry for personal use. When I first had it, there was no password, so I went to set it. Now (for some reasons) I don't want the password anymore, and I can't disable it. There is a little red lock beside the password. How can I resolve this?
    That's a new one for me. The only explanation I can think of is that you've installed some app that put on an IT policy, like Unite, or you've enabled some other security function that's locked the password. Have you turned on encryption? Or enabled the Memory Cleaner?
    04-02-10 10:46 AM
    You're spot on! I disabled the media card encryption and memory cleaner, and the little red lock was gone! THANK YOU.
    04-02-10 09:19 PM
    If by locked you mean there is a small red padlock icon with the timeout and password options and you can't change them, that means your device has an IT Policy controlling those functions. You won't be able to change them. What's an IT Policy? An IT Policy is the way a company enforces its IT Security rules on BlackBerry's that have inside-the-firewall access. These devices have BlackBerry Enterprise Service (BES) accounts instead of the BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) accounts that consumer users typically have.

BES users get over the air synching of their Calendar, Email, Address Book, Tasks, and Memos. In return, they accept that the company can monitor all their email, log their phone calls, and in general control every aspect of their phone: whether they can install apps, use the Media Card or Bluetooth, or access the internet, for example.

IT Policies can be very strict to benign. Mine, for example, only requires me to use a password and Content Protection and sets the max timeout to 30 minutes.

If you have an employer-provided phone, and attempt to remove the IT Policy, your attempt will be detected the next time you attempt to log on to the company servers, the IT policy will be pushed back on your phone, and you could face severe disciplinary consequences for violating security.
    How do I get rid of this IT thing. I bought it on eBay and I want to disable the password.
    05-05-11 10:28 PM
    Follow this procedure, created by Forums Moderator Pete6: Removing an IT Policy from a BlackBerry phone.
    05-06-11 11:41 AM
    What a great tip, I had never though of that.

Done it now though.

Thanks!

How do I put my contact information in so if it is lost, then it can be returned to me?
    08-10-11 10:21 AM
    How you do it depends on which OS version you have. In OS 5, look for Options / Owner. In OS 6, go to Options / Display / Message on Lock Screen
    08-10-11 10:24 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD