07-04-09 01:14 PM
122 ... 345
tools
    Unless he has generated an escreen code for his BOLD he only has access to a Help Me screen. You have to type your escreen code in there to unlock the screen to make changes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You are correct, that is the screen I get and I am unable to do anything. I will not do anything unless I am comfortable with it and, in the long run I would rather lose Mass storage than have all the dropped calls that I experienced prior to unlocking the phone and turning off the 3g. I still really want/need the Mass storage available though.
    03-27-09 11:07 AM
    Branceiri,
    How many dropped calls do you get per day/week since you've gotten the ability to switch between 3G//2G?

03-27-09 07:24 PM
    Theres been quite a few times when the 3G Network has gone down, Especially in the Philadelphia Area, I have to go into Mobile Network and Switch to 2G.

Of Course My Bold is Unbranded
    03-27-09 07:59 PM
    Why would Verizon switch to GSM?

Traditional GSM and EDGE is actually a TDMA system, a rather archaic and primitive form of multi-user comm distribution. Not to mention is is insecure and has interference issues with audio devices. CDMA is actually the better form of communication.

This is why 3G (UMTS/HSDPA) actually in fact CDMA (WCDMA), not the traditional TDMA.
    A little outside the scope here, but theyre going LTE, not exactly GSM, like thier parent company Vodaphone. Its not traditional GSM per say but its what all the GSM carriers are going to for 4g. Essentially Vodaphone wants all their phones across the pond and the US to match, not 2 sets of devices and technologies. So theyre both going LTE.
    03-27-09 08:28 PM
    Branceiri,
    How many dropped calls do you get per day/week since you've gotten the ability to switch between 3G//2G?

Good question.

03-27-09 08:30 PM
    Check ur pms...

Can someone pm me the instruction as well please? Thanks

03-27-09 09:10 PM
    Since I have the ability to turn off 3g, i've had it off and I have only dropped two or three calls in the past week. Compared to about 10 or so per week before. When driving it was the worst because it would switch back and forth and drop the call and the extremely annoying beep with "call failed." I am extremely happy with it now. I still need to figure out how to access the mass storage...
    03-27-09 09:42 PM
    I debranded last night and it went well. The only thing that was kind of screwball was the secret pull down menu on the MFI to load the VSM. The menu kept bouncing up and down but somehow I was able to stop it with the alt key (I think) and hit the "Load VSM" button. That kind of freaked me out, but after that it was a snap. There were two xml files that I had to delete as well, and I wasn't sure if that was right, but I did that and now I've got the unbranded device and can switch to 2g only and the amr-f. So far so good. After a day of relatively light usage I'm still at 75% battery, whereas before I would be down to 0%. Calls seemed better today as well. We'll see. I really hate having to do this kind of sh** to get something to work like it's supposed to but I guess this is something of an early adopter issue. In any event, debranding is easy and useful and I'm glad I did it.
    Last edited by rolandw; 03-27-09 at 10:59 PM.
    03-27-09 10:35 PM
    Glad it worked for you. I actually had somebody do it. I tried one night, it wasn't working and I didn't want to "brick" the phone. So for $30 bucks it gave me peace of mind.
    03-28-09 12:33 AM
    I downlaoded a fille; "BB Mass Storage repair.rar...

when I open and try to run it gives me the window:

"Windows cannot open this file:......"

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    What is it with the New thing to charge for downloading??? I'm still having a hard time doing this.
    03-28-09 12:39 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/mas...orking-201956/

Great instructions on how to get back Mass storage.
    Last edited by Brancieri; 04-09-09 at 01:32 PM.
    04-09-09 01:30 PM
    04-09-09 01:31 PM
    Not sure why the link keeps shrinking...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/mas...orking-201956/
    04-09-09 01:33 PM
    I guess do a search....
    04-09-09 01:34 PM
    The link works its just in a compacted sentence/link... LoL

04-09-09 04:07 PM
    OK, so I updated the software and it did not really help, maybe a little bit, but the phone still switches from 3g and drops calls. AT&T was helpfull and offered some compensation. They are aware of the problem, but do not have a fix yet. I found a guy who can unlock and unbrand the phone for me for about 30 dollars. I will then be able to disable the 3g. Should I just do this?
    Google: "How to: Disable 3G or 2G on AT&T Bolds without debranding"
    excellent post by Digitalb0y
    I just did it without debranding and can switch thru escreens to 2G or 3G or both...
    06-27-09 09:13 PM
    Google: "How to: Disable 3G or 2G on AT&T Bolds without debranding"
    excellent post by Digitalb0y
    I just did it without debranding and can switch thru escreens to 2G or 3G or both...
    Or if you upgrade to OS .282 you can just swtich between EDGE and 3G now.
    06-27-09 09:22 PM
    Or if you upgrade to OS .282 you can just swtich between EDGE and 3G now.
    By far the best and most recent solution

Totally stupid At&t's software build didnt include this feature.
    06-27-09 09:36 PM
    There is a much easier way to disable 3G without debranding. Access the escreen and dig around a bit and you can find the options to disable most anything you want. Just be careful or you will have to reload your OS. Make sure to write down any steps and changes you make in the order you made them so you can back them out if neede. Much easier to do, and as long as you do your research before you make any changes you should be fine.

Try this..credits to Digitalb0ys artical..

basically
    hit
    ALT+SHIFT+h
    if it goes to escreens...skip this step
    if not (and in Help Me screen), go to
    first record app, pin & uptime seen on Help Me Screen

absolous(dot)no-ip(dot)com/projects/escreen/

type in
    app
    pin
    uptime
    as seen on Help Me screen
    **select 30 days**
    >get password

in Help Me screen, type password (wont see it typing)
    if entered correctly will get escreens

>Mobile Network Engineering Screens
    >PLMN Selection
    >Selection Mode to Manual
    >Enabled RATs to
    UTRAN = 3G only
    GERAN=EDGE (2G) only
    UTRAN+GERAN (default)

Notes..
    rebooting bb/battery pull
    turning off mobile network (from manage connex)
    turning off WIFI (from manage connex)
    WILL throw mobile network back to default 3G+2G (UTRAN+GERAN)
    Will need to go back into escreens to lock EDGE or 3G
    06-27-09 09:39 PM
    By far the best and most recent solution

Totally stupid At&t's software build didnt include this feature.
    That's great!!!

I had to unlock my phone and a bunch of other crap, but well worth it...if you can really do it with this upgrade...GREAT!
    06-27-09 09:50 PM
    The easiest was to toggle between 3G and 2G is load OS 4.6.0.282 It has the feature built into the Mobile Network Options.

06-28-09 12:07 AM
    Then you cannot have AT&T.
    yes..
    at&t is sucks!

im so sick of this problem
    07-04-09 01:14 PM
122 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD