Weridlilberry, are you in a solid 3G area?
    03-19-09 02:27 PM
    No issues on 167 or 185.
    03-19-09 02:28 PM
    There seem to be a lot of unhappy AT&T users with dropped call probems again, and AT&T not providing a useable service. Do I hear anyone say "Class Action" ?
    no i heard class *&%$#....
    you have got to be kidding me no wonder the civil courts are backed up
    either figure out a fix for the problem or go to another provider if ATT isnt working for you
    03-19-09 02:30 PM
    either figure out a fix for the problem or go to another provider if ATT isnt working for you
    +1............
    03-19-09 02:31 PM
    its not AT&T this is a rim problem

when i'm in a solid 3g area absolutely no problem - service is stellar - battery life blows

if i'm in only 2g/edge area same results - great service - great battery life

the problem is in the sketchy areas where 2g/3g handoff occurrs - this is where everything goes to shiet and drop call city

but i just call and ***** complain (bluetooth is awesome) and they hook me up with 500 minutes every 10 or fifteen calls. its on their dime (611) and help me get through my commute (makes the commute fly by)
    03-19-09 02:36 PM
    I wish AT&T / RIM would change this feature of not being able to turn off 3G.
    03-19-09 02:41 PM
    no i heard class *&%$#....
    you have got to be kidding me no wonder the civil courts are backed up
    ATT doesn't have a presence around here but the concept might get the bozos out of our hair while they debate it. They don't accept advice about software upgrades so they might as well try this no-hope solution.
    03-19-09 03:09 PM
    I wish AT&T / RIM would change this feature of not being able to turn off 3G.
    A. It's not a feature, its an artificial disadvantage meant to make iPhone look more reliable.

B. They won't. They collect their money every month regardless of the call failures so there's no reason to care.
    03-19-09 03:15 PM
    the problem is in the sketchy areas where 2g/3g handoff occurrs - this is where everything goes to shiet and drop call city
    There is no way you will avoid a call drop if a switch is forced 2G<>3G (either way). They are different technologies on different control systems. Usually the only link between them on the radio side is the antennas might share the same tower - but not always.

In reality you usually find a wider coverage from 2G so the most frequent issue is running out of 3G coverage and getting dropped mid-call. Then your phone can switch frequency and negotiate withthe 2G controller. Going the other way you move into a 3G area but a 2G signal still exists so the phone can hold it until you complete the call - no drop.

but i just call and ***** complain (bluetooth is awesome) and they hook me up with 500 minutes every 10 or fifteen calls. its on their dime (611) and help me get through my commute (makes the commute fly by)
    I like the system, keep costing them money and making work for them. If everyone did that maybe the incentive would be there to remove the locks and allow free selection.
    03-19-09 03:24 PM
    I got my Bold a week before Christmas, and I haven't dropped a single call.

I've used every OS from .167 to .247 and I haven't dropped a single call.

My phone switches between 3G and EDGE depending on where I'm standing in my living room, and I have never dropped a call.

My radio searches for signal all day in my house and my battery lasts 2 days with moderate to heavy usage.

What I'm trying to say here is... unless you have tried a few things to improve your Bold experience, I dunno know, like say, UPGRADE YOUR OUTDATED AND INFERRIOR OPERATING SYSTEM, or CALL CUSTOMER SERVICE, or CALL TECH SUPPORT, then you really have no basis for these rants.

This community is as dedicated to helping each other out as much as any web community I've seen. But when people offer you solutions on a silver platter and you turn your nose up at them without any consideration.... Ahh nevermind, do whatever you want.
    03-19-09 04:30 PM
    I too have had the bold since a week after launch, and not had any issues on ATT, even with the lame .167 factory OS. Too many factors to just rule it a bad network.
    03-19-09 05:04 PM
    I think most of the problems with AT&T are in heavily built up areas like New York. Their network is stretched to the limit. Millions of people gabbing away on their phones, surfing the net, messaging each other, all at the same time.

I once read someone accuse AT&T of doing a deal with Apple to prioritize data packets for the iPhone, although I don't know if there's anything in this. Mind you it's not outside of the realm of possibility!
    03-19-09 05:16 PM
    A. It's not a feature, its an artificial disadvantage meant to make iPhone look more reliable.

B. They won't. They collect their money every month regardless of the call failures so there's no reason to care.
    Actually, it doesn't make the iPhone look any more reliable. At least with my phone (before I debranded [which I don't suggest you do {you could **** up your phone (and **** off RIM)}]), it would switch to EDGE or Edge if 3G wasn't available. It's not locked to 3G, it's locked to 3G & 2G.
    03-19-09 05:19 PM
    I'm in the process of updating the software...I hope this helps...if not, I will try unlocking the phone so I can disable the 3g.
    03-19-09 05:28 PM
    OK...Updated to .247 and all the info stayed...that's great. I thought I'd have to re-install everything...keep you posted on if it improves the service.
    03-19-09 05:57 PM
    OK, so I updated the software and it did not really help, maybe a little bit, but the phone still switches from 3g and drops calls. AT&T was helpfull and offered some compensation. They are aware of the problem, but do not have a fix yet. I found a guy who can unlock and unbrand the phone for me for about 30 dollars. I will then be able to disable the 3g. Should I just do this?
    03-22-09 11:21 PM
    OK, so I updated the software and it did not really help, maybe a little bit, but the phone still switches from 3g and drops calls. AT&T was helpfull and offered some compensation. They are aware of the problem, but do not have a fix yet. I found a guy who can unlock and unbrand the phone for me for about 30 dollars. I will then be able to disable the 3g. Should I just do this?
    May seem to be your only solution. You don't trust yourself to debrand? Just seems silly paying someone $30 to do it for you.
    03-22-09 11:27 PM
    Do it if you have any doubt in doing it yourself, and you are fully confident in his abilities.
    03-22-09 11:34 PM
    I wouldn't debrand. Seems like to much hassle. Just cancel the service with AT&T. If you wanna blackberry, I'm sure other providers will be able to accomodate you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-09 11:39 PM
    I will do it myself...are there instuction here? I'm searching now...

Thank you.
    03-22-09 11:40 PM
    You won't find them here seeing as it uses an illegal software.
    03-22-09 11:44 PM
    OK, can somebody e-mail me instuctions, of should I just google it?
    03-22-09 11:48 PM
    PM the instruction 2. Been wanting to debrand for a while.
    03-23-09 12:00 AM
    I have an AT&T Bold and live in an area Northern Virginia where 3G coverage is very abundant and reliable. Battery life is ok, and I can go maybe 2 days without recharging my phone. However, this is a PDA/Smartphone, so its battery life is fair compared to other PDAs and smartphones. I also have a Samsung A707 as a backup phone (not a smartphone, just a regular cell phone), that phone is 3G and I was able to go almost a week without recharging it.

Since WCDMA's power output is dependent on signal strengh, your 3G phone's battery life would drop if you're in an area with a weak 3G signal. I've heard somewhere that AT&T's EDGE network is heavily overused, especially after releasing two generations of iPhones, which is why AT&T wanted the 2G/3G selection feature disabled on the Bold.

It looks like AT&T is starting to become the new Verizon (Verizon is notorious for locking out features and rendering some options to be proprietary on their phones). Just recently, AT&T set up their service books so that BlackBerry Maps is blocked out from usage.
    03-23-09 12:44 AM
    Would somebody please E-mail me the instructions?

Thanks,
    Ed
    [email protected]
    03-23-09 12:57 AM
122 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD