I've had this phone and AT&T for a little over a month and in the past week I have had a ton of dropped calls. It's unacceptable! I will not tolerate this anymore. I will sell this phone and cancel my service ASAP. I heard from a friend and noticed that it drops calls when switching from 3g...how the heck do I disable 3g? The option in not there with the AT&T phone..

Pleas forgive me if the answer is in here somewhere...I searched and came up with so much stuff, but no direct answers.

Thank you,
    03-19-09 01:21 AM
    There is no way to disable the 3g on the ATT branded Bold. I would contact customer service to see why you are dropping so many calls before getting rid of the phone.

It may be a simple fix. It could be a defective device or possibly a SIM card problem. Its possible ATT may have poor service where you live. I would contact customer service first before giving up on the device and or the network. If they are unable to fix your problem then I would move to another carrier.
    03-19-09 01:31 AM
    Yep, att took away the feature to set the phone to 2G only to cure isses like that. Not sure what they were thinking there.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-09 01:34 AM
    So they did what Verizon did and purposely disabled features that we need. I will drop AT&T just like they drop my calls
    03-19-09 01:39 AM
    Is there really no fix for this issue? I can not have calls dropped in the middle of a conversation.
    03-19-09 01:48 AM
    Is there really no fix for this issue? I can not have calls dropped in the middle of a conversation.
    Then you cannot have AT&T.
    03-19-09 01:51 AM
    There is but two problems.

1. You void the warranty
    2. It isn't discussed here. Google debranding a bold.

03-19-09 04:43 AM
    Hi:

I had the same problem when I first got my Bold. Took it to ATT after a week and got it replaced. Same thing happened with the 2d unit.

But, my problem was solved. I got rid of the factory OS .167 and upgraded to the newest at that time. That got rid of the problem.

There is a sticky on the 9000 forum to download version .247.

Good luck!

Everett
    03-19-09 07:39 AM
    There is but two problems.

1. You void the warranty
    2. It isn't discussed here. Google debranding a bold.

How did the warranty get voided?

You shouldn't suggest debranding to anyone unless you are 100% on the process yourself because if they screw it up they will perma-brick their phone on your suggestion.

To the Op, I would first try and upgrade your OS. With every OS upgrade I have done the signal quality has increased. That said, I've been with AT&T for 3 months and have never dropped a call.
    03-19-09 08:09 AM
    I've had this phone and AT&T for a little over a month and in the past week I have had a ton of dropped calls. It's unacceptable! I will not tolerate this anymore. I will sell this phone and cancel my service ASAP. I heard from a friend and noticed that it drops calls when switching from 3g...how the heck do I disable 3g? The option in not there with the AT&T phone..

Pleas forgive me if the answer is in here somewhere...I searched and came up with so much stuff, but no direct answers.

Thank you,
    oooooh we are all so worried that you will cancel your service and drop the Bold[sarcasm off]
    simple fix...upgrade your OS to .247 its not a beta
    the dropping calls issue along with dropping when switching from 3G to EDGE because of the OS was fixed a long time ago...UPGRADE!!if that doesnt fix your issue and signal strength isnt the issue then you can come back here and vent again
    03-19-09 09:46 AM
    Since your problem seems to be 3G to Edge handoffs. I also recommend you debrand your Bold. So you can just set it to 2G only until 3G gets better in your area.
    03-19-09 09:53 AM
    I've been searching for a fix since November.
    I've tried.....
    getting a new sim card
    Several OS upgrades
    calling cust service constantly to complain (they suggest taking the sim out and putting it back in and they clear the history. And tell me there were no outages and are clueless)
    several visits to AT&T
    closing all running apps before making a call

Nothing works..

The only 2 recommendations I didn't try are
    Getting it replaced under warranty (I've read that it doesn't solve the issue and don't want to risk getting a refurb)
    and debranding (it sounds so permanent and involved and I shouldn't have to go thru that)

Unfortunately I decided to just live with it and continue to call cust service.
    03-19-09 10:33 AM
    it's not 3g it's at&t!
    I had at&t for 2 years and nothing but dropped calls.
    The worst thing about the iphone is at&t
    03-19-09 10:37 AM
    If you want you can go to gsm forums and search my name there and you will find there. But this voids the warranty and I think its against the terms also.
    03-19-09 10:49 AM
    OK, I don't have this issue as I don't have AT&T but ... if you're in a low coverage area does it cross over to 2G? I remember when I was using the iphone 3g before the break we had a sim card, and some of them wouldn't allow 3g usage, just EDGE / GPRS... Maybe one of those would work to permanently lock the phone in EDGE.
    03-19-09 10:55 AM
    it's not 3g it's at&t!
    I had at&t for 2 years and nothing but dropped calls.
    The worst thing about the iphone is at&t
    Sounds like a little exaggeration there. I think everyone needs to keep in mind that this technology is WIRELESS. If you want garunteed communication, landline it up. Most people forget that Att rolled out the gsm network in what, 2000/1? So, its still not fully built out. CDMA has been out here for what, over 15 years? - (much longer time to build out). Att had the TDMA network, which they discontinued due to technology limits, which is exactly what Verizon is going to do in 2010. From experience, its not Att's fault that coverage is bad in cetain area's. Lots of time its due to HOA's and the communites shooting down tower proposals(due to supposed radiation, looks, etc). Think about it, Att would put up a tower wherever they could. yeah, it cost the company money, but they would make it back with the added customer base. When verizon goes through they're switch to GSM, it will be a very bumpy experience, so be prepared. Just something to think about, again it wireless. We all need to be furtunate and happy that we dont have to line up at a payphone, and can use it mostly where and when we want. Sorry for the rant.
    03-19-09 12:00 PM
    When verizon goes through they're switch to GSM, it will be a very bumpy experience, so be prepared. Just something to think about, again it wireless. We all need to be furtunate and happy that we dont have to line up at a payphone, and can use it mostly where and when we want. Sorry for the rant.
    Verizon will never switch to GSM I think you mean LTE
    03-19-09 12:07 PM
    3G or 2G still gives you drop calls. Like some has suggested that upgrading to a newer OS would help to solving reception problems, I find it to be somewhat true. It also depends on your geographic area as well. What if you debrand your Bold and switching 2G still gives you drop calls. Why would one do such thing? On other hand, you'll lose the benefit of free Wi-fi to AT&T hotspots. Good luck!

03-19-09 12:12 PM

Thank you,
    There seem to be a lot of unhappy AT&T users with dropped call probems again, and AT&T not providing a useable service. Do I hear anyone say "Class Action" ?
    03-19-09 12:38 PM
    Verizon will never switch to GSM I think you mean LTE
    LTE is a GSM based technology.
    03-19-09 01:36 PM
    I have recently traveled to London and switched SIMs on my unlocked Bold to Vodafone in London and didn't have a single dropped call. I then traveled to Dubai and switched SIMs again to Etisalat and also didn't have a single dropped call or "call fail" when dailing. Also didn't have any issues with 3G data.
    I came back to the US (Long Island, NYC and Westchester) and have been having a lot of issues with dropped calls and "call failed" when dialing on AT&T. I am running .247.
    It is the network, plain and simple. The OS upgrade may help a bit...but the network is poor. It isn't my Bold's hardware...worked fine in 2 different countries on two different networks.
    AT&T is the issue. Its like throwing a turd in the punch bowl!
    03-19-09 02:00 PM
    From reading this thread, I must be in the minority.

I've had my Bold for a few weeks now, and not one dropped call. As a matter of fact, call quality for me is better then on my Curve - and that was excellent as well.

No problems no issues here. I'm currently a happy BOLD and AT&T user.
    03-19-09 02:12 PM
    From reading this thread, I must be in the minority.

I've had my Bold for a few weeks now, and not one dropped call. As a matter of fact, call quality for me is better then on my Curve - and that was excellent as well.

No problems no issues here. I'm currently a happy BOLD and AT&T user.
    i've had my bold since last November and i have not dropped one call
    its amusing how most of the i drop calls posts start out with ..i got my bold last week....
    most of the complainers are sitting on .162 or .167 with known issues for those OS....
    03-19-09 02:23 PM
    I have recently traveled to London and switched SIMs on my unlocked Bold to Vodafone in London and didn't have a single dropped call. I then traveled to Dubai and switched SIMs again to Etisalat and also didn't have a single dropped call or "call fail" when dailing. Also didn't have any issues with 3G data.
    I came back to the US (Long Island, NYC and Westchester) and have been having a lot of issues with dropped calls and "call failed" when dialing on AT&T. I am running .247.
    It is the network, plain and simple. The OS upgrade may help a bit...but the network is poor. It isn't my Bold's hardware...worked fine in 2 different countries on two different networks.
    AT&T is the issue. Its like throwing a turd in the punch bowl!
    funny ..white plains westchester..the length of LI...NYC never had a problem with a dropped call where i roam..i am also running .247
    03-19-09 02:26 PM
    No problems on my end as well.
    But I also do know exactly the problem the OP is having with the 3G and handoff issues.
    03-19-09 02:27 PM
122 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD