I went to check the settings in my brand new Telus 9700 and noticed that it has 'Disabled' by 'Network'.... Correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't this say 'Active' if it's SIM Locked?? AT least I vaguely remember that on my Tour....

Anyway this struck me as odd, so I tried to bring up the MEP2 prompt for entering the unlock code, and it wouldn't come up at all....

Everything else is also 'Disabled' except for 'Service Provider' which is 'Active'

Is this phone locked or unlocked?? If it's still SIM Locked, why can't I bring up the menu to enter the code with MEP2, and why does it say 'Network' is 'Disabled'???

confused....
    02-22-10 05:58 PM
    If the service provider is "active"...it is locked as far as I know.
    02-22-10 06:04 PM
    If the service provider is "active"...it is locked as far as I know.
    But then why can I not use MEP2 to get to the screen to enter the unlock code? It doesn't even do anything at all....

And why does 'Network' say 'Disabled' when that's supposed to 'Active' indicating that it's locked? (I watched about 10 Youtube vids explaining how to input the code and all of theirs said Network Active and after they input their unlock code it was changed to say Disabled. Mine already says Disabled.

EDIT: A little more searching and found that for Telus and Bell, you need to enter MEP4 not MEP2 to bring up the entry box. So it IS locked but just looks different compared to most. Which is weird...
    Last edited by Synergie; 02-22-10 at 06:15 PM.
    02-22-10 06:07 PM
    There "may" have been too many attempts to unlock the device?
    02-22-10 06:08 PM
    I don't mean to sound rude so please don't take it that way but perhaps you forgot to shift to capitalize when typing? Or forgot your alt for 2? I know sometimes I forget to do that.

Did you buy straight from Telus? Or did you buy it off of someone else?

And remember that Belus' 9700s have that extra lock on them.
    02-22-10 06:12 PM
    I don't mean to sound rude so please don't take it that way but perhaps you forgot to shift to capitalize when typing? Or forgot your alt for 2? I know sometimes I forget to do that.

Did you buy straight from Telus? Or did you buy it off of someone else?

And remember that Belus' 9700s have that extra lock on them.

I sure hope that I am wrong.
    02-22-10 06:14 PM
    Telus has the second lock that Bell has... but not the MEP lock. So MEP2 does not work (yes I used ALT lol)

For anyone else trying to unlock a Telus 9700: It's MEP4 not MEP2. The Service Provider (SP) Lock is what Telus used and not the usual Network lock... which is why Network says Disabled.

FYI: Phone is brand new from Telus and once I tried the MEP4 I had 10 full tries left.

So I got it figured out after a little more digging...
    02-22-10 06:25 PM
    Cool...I have learned something new
    02-22-10 06:30 PM
    So you got it unlocked finally?

I didn't know about MEP4 either, you learn something new everyday!
    02-22-10 07:59 PM
    a friend told me that if you get your phone unlocked you lose 3g? is that true?
    02-22-10 11:29 PM
    a friend told me that if you get your phone unlocked you lose 3g? is that true?
    its not true, when you unlock you just remove the restriction to that carrier and are able to move the phone to another service
    02-23-10 12:33 AM
    if no prompt comes up after entering MEP2 try MEPP2 or MEP4
    If nothing comes up even after that the phone is unlocked, insert a non accepted sim and check
    06-30-10 08:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD