A friend of mine was giving me a hard time about my 9900 and how much better his phone was compared to mine....
    So naturally I challenged him to a little contest.
    First we used a pc and sent an email to both of us, we both have Telus accounts, and since android polls for mail (his set to 1/2 hour) it's 1 point BB.
    He got me on camera apps and his browser was easy to read but I smoked him on the typing speed/errors test and for the kicker, he was getting kind of smug, I said "Okay, let's set our brightness to 10 and go out side (bright sunny day) and run the test again.... He couldn't even see his screen and got pwned by default! So should someone give ya the blues about your phone ask them "you wanna step outside". LOL
    08-31-11 06:27 PM
    Anyone else getting a West Side Story vibe from this "battle"? One gang advances clicking their keyboards only to be chased back by the other gang waving their browsers.

Of course the Android gang wins the battle because they all had their chargers with them and swung them like chains
    08-31-11 06:31 PM
    My brother and sister both have Samsung galaxy s phones. All they doo is sit around and ask each other if they beat angry birds yet... theres like 8 versions of the game and all u do is throw birds at pigs... they do this by the charger because their batteries die every day...
    LewLew23, sg8330 and DannyJK like this.
    08-31-11 07:09 PM
    I switched over from a Droid x, The difference is simple, androids and iphones are way more media friendly and more fun as toys, but to get work done, and to text, email ect (what a phone is really for imo) nothing touches the bold 9930.

The browser is kinda crappy, but i found myself using google reader more than the browser even on my droid x which my blackberry does just as good. I do still have the droid for when i need a "media phone" but that is very rare for myself.
    rcm1301 likes this.
    08-31-11 07:28 PM
    Honestly, the best way is to ignore them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-11 07:40 PM
    If day making fun of yo Blackberry, poke em in da eyes!
    kwalia71 and crigga84 like this.
    08-31-11 07:48 PM
    Camera & browser > email

However

BlackBerry > Android
    08-31-11 07:53 PM
    Android does have many push email capabilities actually. He might not have it set up correctly. I have 3 push accounts right now actually.
    08-31-11 07:55 PM
    The only way to silence Android fanboys???
    BlackBerry has to produce a phone that has frequently updated specs and also runs Android on top pf the BB OS or the upcoming QNX software.

It would be the best of both worlds
    The best email/corporate phone combined with Android Apps would be AMAZING and keep me from carrying 2 phones. I currently use a Bold 9650 for work and I use a Motorola Photon Android on Sprint for personal use.

BlackBerry ABSOLUTELY has to keep up with technology to not only keep current users but to gather new users. NOONE wants yesterdays technology except maybe
    diehard fans or people who don't know or care about technology.

BlackBerry Needs Dual Core processors, large HD screens, RAM Galore, docking stations with HDMI and external ouputs and or lapdock.

Anyone who says they don't is living in the past... and unwilling to accept what is necessary for RIM to no longer be tech analyst trash talk of today.

I love RIM but they have to up the ante with at the minimum staying up with current technology in shorter product life cycles and trying to innovate a QNX / Android type software hybrid like what we should see with the PlayBook.

08-31-11 07:59 PM
    I really don't care at all what other people use personally. I do know that my Bold 9930 is grabbing epic attention at work. People seem genuinely surprised that RIM released a phone this cool. Positively surprised. I think RIM is on the right track for sure.

And I don't think BB 'needs' dual core CPUs, big screens and other battery sucking crap. Maybe some models but surely not all. This single core 9930 is blazing fast. I wouldn't know what difference a dual core would make besides draining the battery faster.
    Rezervoir and jon4400 like this.
    08-31-11 08:14 PM
    Camera & browser > email

However

BlackBerry > Android
    Depends on with whom you're talking ...

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    08-31-11 08:18 PM
    Everyone I meet says it's an awesome looking phone.
    08-31-11 08:19 PM
    I switched over from a Droid x, The difference is simple, androids and iphones are way more media friendly and more fun as toys, but to get work done, and to text, email ect (what a phone is really for imo) nothing touches the bold 9930.

The browser is kinda crappy, but i found myself using google reader more than the browser even on my droid x which my blackberry does just as good. I do still have the droid for when i need a "media phone" but that is very rare for myself.
    Depends on with whom you're talking .. computers (yes phones can be in this category) are dumb machines, only as smart as the people who use them... if I want to make my Android device messaging centric, I can.

08-31-11 08:22 PM
    Android is horrible... this is why no other company is designing Android OS players and emulators.
    08-31-11 08:25 PM
    Android is horrible... this is why no other company is designing Android OS players and emulators.
    Lol... exactly!

08-31-11 08:27 PM
    BlackBerry has to produce a phone that has frequently updated specs and also runs Android on top pf the BB OS or the upcoming QNX software.

The best email/corporate phone combined with Android Apps would be AMAZING and keep me from carrying 2 phones. I currently use a Bold 9650 for work and I use a Motorola Photon Android on Sprint for personal use.

BlackBerry ABSOLUTELY has to keep up with technology to not only keep current users but to gather new users. NOONE wants yesterdays technology except maybe

BlackBerry Needs Dual Core processors, large HD screens, RAM Galore, docking stations with HDMI and external ouputs and or lapdock.

Anyone who says they don't is living in the past... and unwilling to accept what is necessary for RIM to no longer be tech analyst trash talk of today.

I love RIM but they have to up the ante with at the minimum staying up with current technology in shorter product life cycles and trying to innovate a QNX / Android type software hybrid like what we should see with the PlayBook.

I understand your point but that is the main reason I went back to BB from my android. I like the simplicity and IMHO I think the speed and display of the 9900 is just fine. I like the keyboard and if Rim follows your advice then what really separates them from the rest, I never agreed with the "conform or die" mentality in business because what then sets you apart? Are you telling me the 9900 needs duel core? There is nothing an android phone can do that BB can't that I need that much to begin with... All that extra crap is, well, just extra crap.
    People forget that the android phones are not one device, like BB and iphone but several manufacturers so when sales reports show BB is behind android it only means the OS as I have yet to see a breakdown based on manufacturers and not operating systems (gonna google that now though LOL). I think they are on the right track and their future looks good because of their technology, form factor and patents they have now. It also helps when 2 of the largest governments on the planet (Russia and the US) say "your devices are okay for our use"...

I am glad these phones are not "toys" and don't have all the distractions that android phones and iphones have. I ain't no square and I'm not some CEO, I'm a stay home Dad/actor who enjoys the tech toys as much as the next guy but I would much rather spend my days looking at the world, my family and friends than my phone. I don't think I'm alone here and there is a reason these forums have not shut down...
    So I respectfully disagree with the "changes" you suggest....
    08-31-11 08:38 PM
    Phone sales by manufacturer

So nokia is kicking **** here!
    Rim is trying to get up there lol....
    08-31-11 08:44 PM
    Depends on with whom you're talking ...

I will always speak only for myself.
    08-31-11 08:47 PM

Not everybody needs/wants a big HD screen, a dual core processor, HDMI docks and what not... And, if you ask me coming from a Droid X, I never found an advantage or use for all the extra connections and capabilities.

Was it nice to have them? You bet... But I would rather use all those for a tablet.

In my personal opinion, all the specs you stated should be on tablets... Phones don't need such high specs. In my opinion of course.

Sent from my Bold 9930
    08-31-11 08:47 PM
    I really don't care at all what other people use personally. I do know that my Bold 9930 is grabbing epic attention at work. People seem genuinely surprised that RIM released a phone this cool. Positively surprised. I think RIM is on the right track for sure.

And I don't think BB 'needs' dual core CPUs, big screens and other battery sucking crap. Maybe some models but surely not all. This single core 9930 is blazing fast. I wouldn't know what difference a dual core would make besides draining the battery faster.
    No not every phone needs to be a super phone but if you want to position yourself as a company that at least looks like its on top of its game and wants to hang with the big dogs you better make a good showing.

I think all Apple would have to do to start seriously pulling corporate BlackBerry users by the masses would be to develope an Iphone with a nice keyboard and some slight email improvements. This idea really bothees me and hope to God it never happens
    I see enough damn iSheep while traveling that I want to heard them over to my awesome Photon or the new 9930 just to open their eyes for a brief moment.

spark032207#WN likes this.
    08-31-11 08:48 PM

I am glad these phones are not "toys" and don't have all the distractions that android phones and iphones have. I ain't no square and I'm not some CEO, I'm a stay home Dad/actor who enjoys the tech toys as much as the next guy but I would much rather spend my days looking at the world, my family and friends than my phone. I don't think I'm alone here and there is a reason these forums have not shut down...
    So I respectfully disagree with the "changes" you suggest....
    You speak as though those "distractions" (I call them features) are mandatory. I know more than a few people who run Android devices without downloading any third-party apps.

When I used BB, I had more games on my BB than I do now.

I want as many features (that work well) on my handheld device as I can get. I seemingly only hear BB users say how useless extra features are, particularly when said features are absent on BB devices.
    08-31-11 08:59 PM
    Not everybody needs/wants a big HD screen, a dual core processor, HDMI docks and what not... And, if you ask me coming from a Droid X, I never found an advantage or use for all the extra connections and capabilities.

Was it nice to have them? You bet... But I would rather use all those for a tablet.

In my personal opinion, all the specs you stated should be on tablets... Phones don't need such high specs. In my opinion of course.

Sent from my Bold 9930
    I understand what your saying. I own a PlayBook and havent used it in about a month. I've found it's not worth carrying at this point in time when I have a phone that does near damn everything including great GPS and 4G/Phone capabilities.

When I get home just dock it and be done. Dont get me wrong I enjoy the PlayBook but lately the Photon seems to be taking my interest and serves my needs for now.

08-31-11 09:01 PM
    What's all the fuss about? The existence of different companies and platforms/hardware combinations means that THE CHOICE IS YOURS, and only yours.... you pick the device that works for you. Yes in the past BB's have been a little suspect when it comes to hardware performance but with the recent 9900 I really can't see anything wrong with their devices. If you want a BB and have decided that it does what you need, get it, if not get wtv fits YOUR NEEDS.
    08-31-11 09:01 PM
    BlackBerry ABSOLUTELY has to keep up with technology to not only keep current users but to gather new users. NOONE wants yesterdays technology except maybe diehard fans or people who don't know or care about technology.

They already did in case you missed it...It's called the Bold Touch 9930 and it's blazing fast, has a touch screen, a keyboard and flat out rocks.

Get on the train, it's left the station my friend.
    08-31-11 09:53 PM
    I think more of the point I am trying to make is that RIM has to maintain momentum by releasing updated hardware on a regular almost Android like basis. They don't have the luxury of releasing mediocre hardware every couple years as they wont gain any traction in moving their products in the right direction. You say we dont need dual core, HD screens etc... but I'm pretty sure if RIM said they were releasing a new phone with better features and specs next month most forum members would be all over it. Not everyone wants or needs features but it would make BB alot more attractive for those considering making acurrent switch from other devices while making giving current BB users something to believe in and look forward too.

08-31-11 10:49 PM
85 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD