I use my Bold as a PDA of sorts (note-taking and as a travel alarm, for example) and sometimes I want to hop on wifi and find something online. However, I cannot browse any website because the phone says they all have expired certificates. Even on boot the phone says this about some connection attempt (I'm guessing for some application I am unaware of trying to update from servers at boot) and trying to clear these messages actually freezes my phone up at times (requiring me to wait some time for it to be usable).

This is an annoyance that I would like to resolve. Is it possible to do so?
    03-30-21 12:53 PM
    At this point not sure there is much to be done for the outdated Browser... have you tried using Opera Mini.

ShuswapThe Bold Explorer site has some info you can look at.
    03-30-21 01:23 PM
    You can try to install the Mozilla certs (no idea if it is possible on BBOS, on BB10 you should download then open it with the filemanager): https://curl.se/ca/cacert.pem
    05-12-21 05:43 AM
    Shuswap’s excellent Bold Explorer site has info on updating certificates.

http://darkstar.x10host.com/nibble/certificates.html

In my experience, it proved only partially effective, and something of an endless exercise. It was probably this niggling problem more than any other that eventually pushed me to ‘throw in the towel’ and give up on my beloved 9900
    05-13-21 01:41 AM
    mushroom daddy: what did you move to? I can't bear the thought but dang those niggling certificate errors are annoying
    08-18-21 05:42 PM
    mushroom daddy: what did you move to? I can't bear the thought but dang those niggling certificate errors are annoying
    You follow those directions.... it's won't fix the BlackBerry Browser, but should "help" with Opera Mini (you need to be running it).
    08-19-21 08:41 AM
    It's not seeming to let me download Opera Mini. But once I figure it out, how can i make Opera Mini by preferred browser instead of BB? Or does it matter? (The post says it may make things WORSE if you're not using Opera...)
    08-19-21 09:51 AM
    It's not seeming to let me download Opera Mini. But once I figure it out, how can i make Opera Mini by preferred browser instead of BB? Or does it matter? (The post says it may make things WORSE if you're not using Opera...)
    I don’t believe you can alter the preferred browser setting but it’s been a long time so I’ll defer to @Shuswap
    08-19-21 09:59 AM
    Your using BBW version Opera Mini 8.0.35659?

Most of us aren't using BBOS anymore... @Shuswap is one of the few that does, so waiting on his input might be best.

But if you on AT&T.... I'm not sure I'd bother trying to change anything. Use your iPad as you have been and enjoy what the BOLD still does well.... and that isn't browsing.
    anon(10512033) likes this.
    08-19-21 11:25 AM
    I'll wait for Shuswap as you advise - just to be clear, i don't do any internet browsing! Only email, text, phone. The reason i was interested in Opera Mini is because it might offer a way to stop the security popups I've been getting with increasing frequency - like nonstop now. ("The security of this site cannot be confirmed..."; no matter if i choose stop, details, or continue, it pops up again in seconds or sometimes minutes.) That's my only problem with using the Bold at the moment! It even works well overseas...
    08-19-21 11:40 AM
    I'll wait for Shuswap as you advise - just to be clear, i don't do any internet browsing! Only email, text, phone. The reason i was interested in Opera Mini is because it might offer a way to stop the security popups I've been getting with increasing frequency - like nonstop now. ("The security of this site cannot be confirmed..."; no matter if i choose stop, details, or continue, it pops up again in seconds or sometimes minutes.) That's my only problem with using the Bold at the moment! It even works well overseas...
    So your not browsing when these pop ups happen?

Using an App or HTTP Email when it happens?

Sad thing is it will work well overseas longer than it will work on AT&T....
    08-19-21 03:35 PM
    Re overseas - that's nuts. Alas.

Re the error messages - no, and that's what's so crazy annoying about them! If there were a way to quit or even delete BB Browser i would but it's like "phone" in that it's apparently un-turn-offable. So maybe it is doing something in the background - but I am using my BIS email (god how I love those filters) and no apps to speak of.
    08-19-21 03:44 PM
    Re overseas - that's nuts. Alas.

Re the error messages - no, and that's what's so crazy annoying about them! If there were a way to quit or even delete BB Browser i would but it's like "phone" in that it's apparently un-turn-offable. So maybe it is doing something in the background - but I am using my BIS email (god how I love those filters) and no apps to speak of.
    Well the window between the AT&T 3G shutdown and the BlackBerry shutdown isn't really that big....

There are other processes that need to communicate securely... and that is what certificates are all about. @Shuswap is usually around one or twice a week, he'll be able to help.
    08-19-21 03:52 PM
    I’ve gone to the dark side and now use an iPhoneXS. Held out for BlackBerry, in one form or another, until last year. Used the Q10 for a long time , then had a KEYone, and had several Android slabs, but none were a satisfactory substitute for super-efficient 9900. Gave up, moved on!
    08-20-21 03:02 AM
    I’ve gone to the dark side and now use an iPhoneXS. Held out for BlackBerry, in one form or another, until last year. Used the Q10 for a long time , then had a KEYone, and had several Android slabs, but none were a satisfactory substitute for super-efficient 9900. Gave up, moved on!
    Does that mean you wouldn't move back to a new BlackBerry just because you "moved on"?
    08-20-21 06:29 AM
    Does that mean you wouldn't move back to a new BlackBerry just because you "moved on"?
    Never say never. I hang around here because I loved the PKB, and keep hoping that something better might come along. Ever hopeful, but I’m becoming increasing sceptical about the likelihood of a return to the halcyon (Bold 9900) days of flagship BlackBerry phones with a PKB that can out-perform anything else at the upper-end of the smartphone market.
    08-20-21 07:55 AM
    Never say never. I hang around here because I loved the PKB, and keep hoping that something better might come along. Ever hopeful, but I’m becoming increasing sceptical about the likelihood of a return to the halcyon (Bold 9900) days of flagship BlackBerry phones with a PKB that can out-perform anything else at the upper-end of the smartphone market.
    I’ve given up on a return of to 8700-9900 days when everyone moved on from the 8700-9900 models during 2009-2014 period and BB10 flopped. The PKB outperforming the VKB also became a non-issue with all the various additional requirements of a smartphone device.

Those are great memories too!!!!
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    08-20-21 01:29 PM
    I’ve given up on a return of to 8700-9900 days when everyone moved on from the 8700-9900 models during 2009-2014 period and BB10 flopped. The PKB outperforming the VKB also became a non-issue with all the various additional requirements of a smartphone device.

Those are great memories too!!!!
    I have some great memories of High School too... but I don't want to go back there either.
    pdr733 likes this.
    08-20-21 03:24 PM
    I have some great memories of High School too... but I don't want to go back there either.
    LMAO - well I agree that all those memories are where they belong.
    08-20-21 04:09 PM
    I don’t believe you can alter the preferred browser setting but it’s been a long time so I’ll defer to @Shuswap

SO i've managed to download Opera mini but am not sure if I should start the Firefox/certificate process since I can't seem to make it my main browser. Will it work? I'll take moderately helpful! Criminy, I've met this 2011 machine more than halfway already... I'm willing to go a little more just to make it to Feb 2022... :-)
    08-23-21 08:16 PM
    SO i've managed to download Opera mini but am not sure if I should start the Firefox/certificate process since I can't seem to make it my main browser. Will it work? I'll take moderately helpful! Criminy, I've met this 2011 machine more than halfway already... I'm willing to go a little more just to make it to Feb 2022... :-)
    I don't know of any way to make Opera Mini your default browser, though when you're in the BlackBerry browser, you can hover over a link, press the BlackBerry key and choose "Open in Opera Mini."

Importing the certificates is not a miracle cure for the limitations of the Bold. A few more sites (but not all) work in Opera Mini. I updated the certificate update page (http://darkstar.x10host.com/nibble/certificates.html) on my site a few weeks back, because there's a much faster method if you have a Linux machine handy. Otherwise, it's a slow, painful process, and the rewards are partial.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    08-25-21 01:58 PM
    Thanks so much.. again i don't use the browser ever at all , i',m just trying to eradicate or lessen the constant popups about "the security of this site cannot be verified..." Will the Mozilla/certificates protocol help do you think?
    08-25-21 09:37 PM
    Thanks so much.. again i don't use the browser ever at all , i',m just trying to eradicate or lessen the constant popups about "the security of this site cannot be verified..." Will the Mozilla/certificates protocol help do you think?
    @Shuswap
    08-25-21 09:42 PM
    I'm not sure why you'd be getting those popups when you're not using the browser. Sometimes I get them when I'm using Opera Mini, but mostly when I try to access sites using the BlackBerry Browser.

Perhaps an app you have installed is trying to connect to a website?
    08-26-21 03:34 PM
    I'm not sure why you'd be getting those popups when you're not using the browser. Sometimes I get them when I'm using Opera Mini, but mostly when I try to access sites using the BlackBerry Browser.

Perhaps an app you have installed is trying to connect to a website?
    Or email if it's HTML based...
    08-26-21 03:53 PM
26 12