Hi Everyone,

I’ve just bought an old Bold 9780 to use as a backup, rugged phone. A couple of times I’ve answered a call when getting the phone out of my pocket by simply pressing the Green button by accident, even though the phone is always locked with a pin code.

I want to change this behaviour so I need to enter my pin to unlock the phone before the call can be answered. Is this possible?

Thanks
    Richard
    11-19-21 02:07 AM
    You should be aware that key services that BBOS phones rely on at BlackBerry are due to be shut down in a month and a half, and that in the US, the 3G cell frequencies that those phones use are also being shut off next year, as early as January depending on carrier. I'm not sure you want to invest much in that phone, given the situation. You've essentially shown up late to dinner, right as the plates are being cleared from the table...
    11-19-21 12:46 PM
    Hi Everyone,

I’ve just bought an old Bold 9780 to use as a backup, rugged phone. A couple of times I’ve answered a call when getting the phone out of my pocket by simply pressing the Green button by accident, even though the phone is always locked with a pin code.

I want to change this behaviour so I need to enter my pin to unlock the phone before the call can be answered. Is this possible?

Thanks
    Richard
    As Troy says above. Your time being valuable, I wouldn't suggest wasting it at this late stage.
    11-19-21 01:12 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I’m in the UK and as far as I know our 3G will be here for a while yet. All I want is phone calls and sms so surely this device would suffice. I have an iPhone for all the other crap.

I fully appreciate that these phones are way out of date. I’d simply rather use this than have to spend £20 on a new dumb phone.
    11-19-21 01:20 PM
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks
    Richard
    Need to wait for one of the resident BBOS experts... someone like @idssteve or @Shuswap. I remember having to enter a PIN code to answer (real pain) mine a decade ago, but I know that changed later with my last BBOS powered phone.... not sure if BlackBerry or IT removed the requirement, or if there is a user setting to reenable it.

But as mentioned.... not sure what kind of backup it's going to be after the Jan 4th shutdown.
    11-19-21 01:26 PM
    Described behavior seems normal native default, AFAIK. A feature, imo. BUT, countless third party apps altered those behaviors in countless ways... back when BBOS enjoyed a functional app ecosystem. Not even sure if BlackBerry World still running? Or functional?
    11-19-21 04:17 PM
    Well, BBW is still there. Several lock apps that I recall "seem" to remain available. No clue if there's any integrity validation, tho. Here's one I recall trying many yrs ago.

AT YOUR OWN RISK !!

Slide lock:

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/59283
    11-19-21 07:56 PM
    Just attempted BBW from a deactivated 9900. No luck. Don't want to expose this activated 9900 to the attempt. It's my last working 99. sadly, Bolds are gasping final breaths. A crying tragedy but... Don't get me started...

Here's a link to @Shuswap's excellent site. I haven't explored it much yet but plan to. Lots of valuable info there. Might find a solution there?

darkstar.x10host.com/nibble/index.html
    11-20-21 05:13 AM