For people you purchased a non at&t branded 9780, you will notice that when you load a new OS, VVM does not load onto the phone. this writeup will show you how to make it work. this writeup is aimed at people using a non at&t 9780 on at&t, but could work for other carriers as well. just follow the same procedure.

In order for this to work, you MUST have VVM provisioned on your account already and were using an at&t branded phone (an at&t branded Torch or Bold 9700) as you will need the VVM backup to restore to the Bold 9780 when you are done.

1.) make sure you have a full backup from a Bold 9700 (preferred) or a Torch (should work also). this must be a backup file that had active VVM settings on it and in full working order. with your 9700 or Torch, use Desktop Manager to to a full backup. make note of where you saved the file, as you will need it soon.

2.) you can get VVM loaded onto your phone using two different methods. the easiest would be to install VVM OTA using the following link.

http://www.theiexplorers.com/LeakedApps/VVM/VVM.jad

The other way is to go into the OS's folder and click on the net_rim_vvm alx file in order to edit it. the file is located in c:/program files/common files/research in motion/shared/loader files/9780xxx etc. this file tells the apploader which COD files to load onto the phone, according to its Vendor ID. you can do this on a phone that already has the OS installed or on a fresh install. once you open the alx file in wordpad, you will see a bunch of numbers listed. change any one that says 102 to 107 (see screen shot below). this is changing it from the at&t vendor ID to the Rogers one. if your phone is another carrier, just find your Vendor ID from the help me screen and make the changes accordingly. there are alot of 102's you need to change, mostly for the VVM language CODs. its probably not necessary to change them all, but i did it just to make sure. once this is all done, save the file changes. now run apploader and it should show VVM as an available option to install. once this is installed, the phone will reboot. once rebooted, goto the next step.

3.) with your 9780 connected, open Desktop Manager. once its up and running, click the "Device" menu, and select "Restore". then find and highlight the previously saved 9700 backup file and check the box for a selective restore, NOT a full restore. scroll down and check the box next to Visual Voice Mail options/settings. then proceed with the restore. once its complete, reboot. (see screen shot below)

you should now be able to access VVM without errors.

Thanks to BekNazar for bringing this to our attention in this other thread.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f219/vvm-help-604907/
    Laura Knotek and rickchard like this.
    04-29-11 08:03 PM
    it does work, however seems like its hit or miss. some messages get routed, others dont. also, messages seem to overwrite eachother. lets say i leave a message (message 1). it will show up in VVM. before checking it, if i leave another message (message 2), then go check my VVM....it will play message 2. message 1 is no longer there, but if i call my voicemail as usual, it will be there as a skipped message. if anyone else has an idea, let me know. but at least its a working start.
    Last edited by dictoresno; 04-29-11 at 11:32 PM.
    04-29-11 09:08 PM
    Thanks for this! I was able to get my rogers 9780 back on vvm with at&t. I used a vvm settings backup from a torch.

I left some test voice messages and so far so good. I will continue to test though I admit, I was beginning to like the Google voice alternative I had set up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-01-11 02:45 PM
    yea but when you leave yourself multiple VVM's, do they come in properly? i was able to get the first one to work, consecutive ones didnt. so i was only notified of one message, not all 3.
    05-01-11 04:12 PM
    @dictoresno - you are right, multiple messages do not get delivered correctly to vvm.

I'm going back to Google voice for my voicemail. Hopefully there will be a more complete fix for vvm soon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-11 11:00 AM
    I get the first message and then it does not work.

The fix will be the 9900!
    05-03-11 12:08 PM
    Will this work for the 8900?
    05-16-11 02:16 PM
    Same problem here: after the first message it no longer works, no matter what I do. And in my line of work, I can't afford to miss voicemails, and it already happened three times this weekend. Too bad, hopefully someone will figure out what can be done to get it working. In the meantime, I've uninstalled it.
    05-30-11 07:38 AM
    Still no love for our non-ATT phones.
    05-30-11 08:29 AM
    Same problem here: after the first message it no longer works, no matter what I do. And in my line of work, I can't afford to miss voicemails, and it already happened three times this weekend. Too bad, hopefully someone will figure out what can be done to get it working. In the meantime, I've uninstalled it.
    i kept it installed, just disabled. it reverts back to the old VM.
    05-30-11 04:54 PM
    my carrier doesn't even have VVM lol
    nice writeup though *thumbs up*
    05-31-11 09:20 AM
    I just use the YouMail Plus app and it works just as well as the stock VVM from AT&T. It costs 1.99/month, but that's nothing, AND it also has an app for my iPhone.
    06-09-11 02:24 PM
    i have a unlocked rogers 9900 and using on bell. vvm was not working properly tried
    option number 3 and it worked beautifully.
    09-10-11 06:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD