as thread title.

thanks in advance.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    06-04-12 08:05 AM
    What exact does "how functional" mean to you?

What exactly are you trying to do?
    06-04-12 08:09 AM
    It will get and receive calls and texts. Some browsing on wifi. That's bout it.
    06-04-12 08:12 AM
    How functional is a Ferrari without an engine?
    06-04-12 08:16 AM
    What exact does "how functional" mean to you?

What exactly are you trying to do?
    calls, texts and 3rd party apps (like facebook, twitter, whatsapp, gmail)

06-04-12 08:27 AM
    and browsing, ofcourse

06-04-12 08:29 AM
    It will get and receive calls and texts. Some browsing on wifi. That's bout it.
    nothing over 3G?

06-04-12 08:33 AM
    U can use Calendar, Tasks, Memos, and Alarms.
    06-04-12 08:53 AM
    You cannot browse, except over wifi. Basically, you have a dumb phone without BIS. If you live in a wifi area, then it will have limited functionality for FB, GTalk, etc. You will not have push email, unless you are using GMAIL or another push email service which will only work when you are connected via wifi.

People always want the device but the service that goes along with the device is what makes a BB worthwhile in the first place. No BIS, just another toy to play with ...
    06-04-12 09:26 AM
    You cannot browse, except over wifi. Basically, you have a dumb phone without BIS. If you live in a wifi area, then it will have limited functionality for FB, GTalk, etc. You will not have push email, unless you are using GMAIL or another push email service which will only work when you are connected via wifi.

People always want the device but the service that goes along with the device is what makes a BB worthwhile in the first place. No BIS, just another toy to play with ...
    cheers. this discounts it for me. shame, I really like it. hopefully new BB10 devices can function independently of BIS, like the playbook.

thanks everyone.

06-04-12 09:52 AM
    as thread title.

thanks in advance.

As functional as a car without a road...

It works, you can use some of the functions - but - you will want to take it to the road instead..

Joke aside,...

The 9900 also do gprs, so it will work without BIS for internet,
    but some "social" features will not work, such as BBM, Facebook etc - which require BIS.
    PIN messaging will not work either
    and - the built-in e-mail client also relies on BIS/BES, but there are 3rd party apps that can do that for you that will work on both gprs and WiFi only...
    Another BIG problem - is that AppWorld will not work - so apps you will need to find OTA elsewhere....
    Last edited by Lindstrom; 06-04-12 at 11:28 AM.
    06-04-12 11:09 AM
    I don't think it would even work over just wifi.
    My old Curve 3G doesn't work over just wifi anymore. It always says it needs a Internet connection. So basically I'd have to get service on it.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    06-04-12 11:24 AM
    Would whatsapp work over regular data plan then?
    10-01-12 01:18 AM
    cheers. this discounts it for me. shame, I really like it. hopefully new BB10 devices can function independently of BIS, like the playbook.

thanks everyone.

You CAN browse over 3g either with the stock browser or third party browser. You just have to download the service books which you can get from Kittywireless.com. I did it and with no BIS I can do just about everything with my bb9900 and 9930. I don't BBM and don't do those social apps. But as far as I am concerned I can do just about everything without BIS or BES! For my needs that is. Phone calls, emails (via Logic Mail), tasks, memo's, calendar, docs2go, camera and video, bridge mode plus some other third party apps. And, APP WORLD does work without BIS!
    Last edited by barbarianthemadserb; 10-01-12 at 08:07 AM. Reason: add more info
    10-01-12 08:04 AM
    How functional is a Ferrari without an engine?
    Very, if you just want to look at it. "Functional Art". LOL. Actually, if I buy an exotic just to look at (garage queen), it's a Lambo, not a Ferrari.
    10-01-12 09:07 AM
    Blackberry without BIS is like Computer without Internet, boring, nothing to do or a greats functions.

U can use of course, SMS, Calls, Memos, Password Keeper and also apps, but u cant use Facebook, Blackberry, Browser(only in Wi-Fi) and the most important Blackberry Messenger
    10-01-12 12:11 PM
    calls, texts and 3rd party apps (like facebook, twitter, whatsapp, gmail)

Let me pitch in
    allowed w/o bis
    -opera browser
    -data (carrier dependent, bis-independent)
    -some instant messaging apps (i.e. whatsapp)
    -call/text
    10-02-12 10:21 AM
    I share my app without BIS:
    1. smartmail (download from China Web Site) instead original mail.
    2. Opera
    3. Original Browser with install specific service book (You have to download service book with open the tunnel get the internet via 3G without BIS )
    4. WeChat
    5. Evernotes
    6. 挖財 Financial Booking Software
    7. WeatherTrax
    8. Google Map
    9. Pocket Dictionary

At last, I have try to use facebook and line via 3G without BIS. I try to install several version of service books.
    They were not worked. Facebook and line app seems must to cooperate with BIS.
    Do any expert knows that how to use line and Facebook via 3G without BIS? It will be great thanks.

Cheers
    05-09-13 05:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD