Just got my first BB and am at my wits end. My treo died and I cannot export my data so I have to manually enter 350 contacts
    I'm angry but also confused as I cannot figure out how to do it on the PC.

I tried missing synch and chucked it due to sooo many errors. I have both a mac and windows machine at home. I installed DM on my windows vista with the hope that I could manually enter the contacts then synchronize with my bold. Doesnt seem possible

What should I do? I love the idea of a desktop software that I can enter my calendar, contacts, memos etc.... How can I get this?

any responses would be greatly appreciated
    11-15-08 09:28 AM
    Are your contacts in Outlook? If so, then I'd use that to get your calendar and contacts into the Bold.

Any contacts on your SIM card?
    11-15-08 09:30 AM
    I just did a sync with Outlook and it copied 1050 contacts and 200 Calendar events in no time.
    11-15-08 10:54 AM
    No they are not in outlook. They were on my treo and for some reason its not synching to ANYTHING. Neither were they on the SIM card.
    Am I doomed
    11-15-08 01:12 PM
    Then I imagine you'll be resorting to entering those 350 contact one contact at a time.

I feel your pain. On the upside, this may be the perfect opportunity to determine if all those contacts deserve the priviledge of being in your contacts .

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-08 03:33 PM
    If you have to enter them by hand, type them into Outlook and sync them that way. It'll be much easier to type them on the PC than on the BlackBerry keyboard.

11-15-08 04:50 PM
    If you have to enter them by hand, type them into Outlook and sync them that way. It'll be much easier to type them on the PC than on the BlackBerry keyboard.

Be aware that Outlook (at least 2003) will mangle international numbers in the format +15552345678 by refusing to store the '+'. There's no problem syncing in and out with BlackBerry but as soon as an entry is (re)saved in Outlook the + is toast.
    11-15-08 06:24 PM
    :-( I'm really about to cry. You mean there is nothing but outlook to 'enter' my contacts then synch them to the BB?

So all you BB users initially had your contacts in BB or outlook.

So should I use the windows PC or the MAC?

Maybe if I start now I'll be done in time to call them and wish them a Happy New Year :-) and A#aric you are right time to diss some of those numbers!!
    11-15-08 07:43 PM
    If you have no preference otherwise for a Mac, I definitely recommend a PC. You can sync a BlackBerry with a Mac using 3rd party software, but unless you have some other reason for preferring a Mac, it will just be simpler using a PC with your BlackBerry.
    11-15-08 08:15 PM
    :-( I'm really about to cry. You mean there is nothing but outlook to 'enter' my contacts then synch them to the BB?

So all you BB users initially had your contacts in BB or outlook.

So should I use the windows PC or the MAC?

Maybe if I start now I'll be done in time to call them and wish them a Happy New Year :-) and A#aric you are right time to diss some of those numbers!!
    Actually, most of my contacts were on my SIM card, and I had almost all their corresponding email addresses in Outlook. When I began using a BB, I had to sync the two together. That's when I also began consolidating contacts and eliminating those who weren't worthy.

It was a wake-up call for me to also start sync-ing my phone to my computer, in order to back up information.
    11-16-08 01:18 AM
    I came to BB from a Razr which I never even connected to my PC. I manually entered over 200 contacts initially on my curve. Transferring them to the bold was child's play. I feel your pain.
    11-16-08 01:47 AM
    I don't know if this will work.

Try and see if you can do a bulk export to a single vCard file, and see if the BlackBerry recognizes bulk vCard imports.
    11-16-08 03:22 AM
    Be aware that Outlook (at least 2003) will mangle international numbers in the format +15552345678 by refusing to store the '+'. There's no problem syncing in and out with BlackBerry but as soon as an entry is (re)saved in Outlook the + is toast.
    I'm fortunately having no problems with Outlook 2003 corrupting my international + prefixes. I've been in the habit for some time adding a +country code to all my #'s not including fax entries.

11-16-08 03:35 AM
    I came to BB from a Razr which I never even connected to my PC. I manually entered over 200 contacts initially on my curve. Transferring them to the bold was child's play. I feel your pain.
    Ouch! Guess no one told you about Motorola Phone Tools.
    11-16-08 03:43 AM
    Does the Treo not have a PC based program to which you sync? If so, export your contacts from that to Outlook or Outlook Express.

If you do not have such a backup program then how di you used to backup your Treo?

If you have no backup, then it looks like manual entry to Outlook (rats!) and then syncing. However this time you wil lhave two copies of your data. Once you have done a backup to the PC then you will have 3 copies. Now your data is safe.

The PC will ask you to do a backup at regular intevals as you connect to Desktop Manager.
    11-16-08 06:12 AM
    Once you set up those contacts in either your outlook or bb and have it in sync, do yourself a favor and do a backup from desktop manager just in case if things hit the fan with both your outlook and your blackberry which is prolly not likely to happen at the same time but you never know...
    11-16-08 07:55 PM
    i have 400+ contacts on my sidekick

how do i go about switching them to the bold when i get it eventually

11-16-08 09:09 PM
    Talk about a midnight brainwave. Since I had everything backed up on my SD card via backup manager. I was able to wipe clean the treo restore the data and finally get it to synch with the desktop ... then I synched via the PC (sorry dear MAC) using DM.

Problem before was treo wouldnt synch to anything.

However now I have a new problem. After using DM to tranfer my contacts the birthdays are not showing up in calendar yet they appear under birthdays in the contact info???

<sigh>
    11-16-08 09:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD