Hi

Now I have an unlocked 9700 AT&T. I am just wondering, if I am going overseas and want to use 9700 with the overseas prepaid BB service and prepaid SIM card, how do I configure my phone so I can get all functionality (BBM, emails, etc)?

Right now I have an unlocked overseas 8520 that I am trying to use with AT&T service and I am having problem using AT&T BB service with 8520.

Thanks.
    05-29-10 01:08 PM
    Basically you just get a SIM card and stick it in the phone.

The problems are these:
    - many countries (since 9/11) will only now issue SIM cards to real (not hotel) addresses and require local country ID. It depends where you are visiting. You did not say.

- not very many countries offer pre-paid BlackBerry data plans. Several carriers in the UK offer 30 day plans. I cannot say what other countries offer. I do know that I have so far been unable to obtain thi sin the US without buying a phone along with the plan.
    05-29-10 01:47 PM
    Basically you just get a SIM card and stick it in the phone.

The problems are these:
    - many countries (since 9/11) will only now issue SIM cards to real (not hotel) addresses and require local country ID. It depends where you are visiting. You did not say.

- not very many countries offer pre-paid BlackBerry data plans. Several carriers in the UK offer 30 day plans. I cannot say what other countries offer. I do know that I have so far been unable to obtain thi sin the US without buying a phone along with the plan.
    You could always buy a sim card from a site like International SIM Cards from GOSIM - cheap mobile calls from abroad
    Have it delivered to you before you go, and these never expire.
    05-29-10 02:17 PM
    so I just put the SIM card in the phone, and everything should work no problem? I am going to South Africa for a month and Vodacom has a 30 days prepaid plan, which is what I am planning to use.
    05-29-10 02:25 PM
    You could always buy a sim card from a site like International SIM Cards from GOSIM - cheap mobile calls from abroad
    Have it delivered to you before you go, and these never expire.
    I need to look into this. It does not specifically mention BlackBerrys but so far I have been using an AT&T Go Phone SIM in an old 8100.

so I just put the SIM card in the phone, and everything should work no problem? I am going to South Africa for a month and Vodacom has a 30 days prepaid plan, which is what I am planning to use.
    Yes. If your phone is unlocked it will work with any SIM card world-wide. You can easily verify if is truly unlocked by borrowing a SIM card from someone on another carrier and briefly putting that in your phone. If you pick up that carrier, then you are good to go.

As to obtaining a SIM card, I suggest that you find out exactly how this is done before you arrive. You may find that a friend who live locally may have to be the signatory on the phone even if you are paying for it.

Before I lived in the UK I had trouble getting a SIM card - and I was born here. Even then it took a couple of days.

In the US my son had to get the AT&T SIMs for Mrs. Pete6 and I.

In Switzerland where I used to live I had to register by post before my spare pre-paid SIM for the car was activated.

If it all falls apart then go with rdyoung's suggestion.
    05-29-10 02:36 PM
    Ok, this is what I did:

I live in Puerto Rico, I am currently in Germany as of two days ago. Before I got here I called AT&T requested my 9700 to be unlocked, they gave me the code and as soon as I unlocked the phone I gave it a try with a T-Mo SIM, and it worked just fine. When I got to Germany I bought a prepaid phone from Vodaphone.de, it came with a SIM card, charged it with 30euros just to test it and the Bold is working sweet, the only thing I had to do was input a pin # that came in a separate sheet with the SIM. Now, as for DATA - I did not even bother - I went to the phone settings and turned of data services; why? the $ is undervalued compared to the euro-the SIM card with 30 euros is equivalent to $37 and the minutes/units used to called the states go down way to fast! so I do not want to imagine how fast would they go with data. Now a good thing that Vodaphone.de has over here is that incoming calls are free.
    05-29-10 04:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD