Is there any trick available in settings in one of the latest OSes, or a third party app that would permanently disable the touch screen in Bold 9900?

I have found lots of older threads with complaints about the touch screen initiating all kinds of accidental actions. There are two partial solutions. An app that kills the touch functionality but only during phone calls, and the idea of using screen/keyboard lock button. I haven't been able to find any information about how to disable the touch screen permanently.

I will be upgrading from my older BB and if there is still no way to kill the touch nuisance permanently I will have no choice but to go with Curve 9360 instead of Bold 9900.

I've seen some comments like "if you don't like the touch screen then just get the Curve". Well, the Bold is simply a better phone. It has faster CPU, more memory, larger screen, faster download speeds, better video, etc.
    Last edited by Kirkx; 03-07-13 at 09:31 PM.
    03-07-13 09:20 PM
    I've had no such issues using my 9900... I don't think that there is a feature to disable the touchscreen but even if it did, i wouldn't want to do this. The touchscreen is amazing feature of the 9900, i don't use the trackpad, it's easier to swipe/touch the screen (it's a joy to use). More so when i pick up any other BB, i instantly try to touch the screen and get annoyed/disappointed that it doesn't work. It is very snappy and works very well. Keep in mind, dropping the phone, getting moisture in it etc could have these effects/abnormalities occurring. Other than that, it's smooth sailing.

In the end, it's up to the user what he/she wants. But the 9900 is the best legacy OS device --> hands down my favorite device (that was until i got my Z10) Also, the 9900 is very durable, mine took many falls and bumps and had little damage (more cosmetic) but the device still worked!
    03-07-13 09:28 PM
    There is no way to disable it. The only thing you can do is to press the lock button when on a call to prevent face dialling.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-08-13 05:50 AM
    Go back to an older, non touch-screen Bold...
    03-09-13 11:37 AM
    You can adjust the sensitivity. Settings/Device/Touchscreen Sensitivity.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    flyingsolid likes this.
    03-09-13 11:54 AM
    Is there any trick available in settings in one of the latest OSes, or a third party app that would permanently disable the touch screen in Bold 9900?

I have found lots of older threads with complaints about the touch screen initiating all kinds of accidental actions. There are two partial solutions. An app that kills the touch functionality but only during phone calls, and the idea of using screen/keyboard lock button. I haven't been able to find any information about how to disable the touch screen permanently.

I will be upgrading from my older BB and if there is still no way to kill the touch nuisance permanently I will have no choice but to go with Curve 9360 instead of Bold 9900.

I've seen some comments like "if you don't like the touch screen then just get the Curve". Well, the Bold is simply a better phone. It has faster CPU, more memory, larger screen, faster download speeds, better video, etc.
    Yeah, that kind of response really isn't helpful since it doesn't address the question at all. As other users have said, there is no setting for disabling the touchscreen, you would have to physically break it, and that's not worth it. I would adjust the sensitivity and use the lock button when on calls
    03-09-13 12:11 PM
    This is a HUGE problem for me and the comments about user error or get another phone really annoy me. Between my personal account and the one my company provides for me, I've gone through 5 Bold 9930's. After a few months, they just decide to reboot constantly and then one day they never turn on again. But that's beside the point. At least every other call, I lose the call because of my face touching the touch screen. Most of the time, it hits the Flash button and I hear a dial tone. Today I'm in a hotel room with a mirror above the desk and as I was leaving a message I could see the screen and it was still lit up. It's supposed to go dark when it's against your ear to disable the touchscreen. Then when you pull it way, it should enable. It just doesn't work 90% of the time. I have an important conference call with a big customer today and I'm afraid to do it on my Blackberry, but I'm traveling and it's my only option. It's a flaw in the phone. Someone in this stream said something about hitting a lock key. How do you do tha?. I am desparate for a solution. My company is providing the Blackberry Q but that is still a ways out and this is wreaking havoc on my business life as I live on the road. Please no comments about it being my issue. Obviously many people experience this.
    05-31-13 09:04 AM
    This is a HUGE problem for me and the comments about user error or get another phone really annoy me. Between my personal account and the one my company provides for me, I've gone through 5 Bold 9930's. After a few months, they just decide to reboot constantly and then one day they never turn on again. But that's beside the point. At least every other call, I lose the call because of my face touching the touch screen. Most of the time, it hits the Flash button and I hear a dial tone. Today I'm in a hotel room with a mirror above the desk and as I was leaving a message I could see the screen and it was still lit up. It's supposed to go dark when it's against your ear to disable the touchscreen. Then when you pull it way, it should enable. It just doesn't work 90% of the time. I have an important conference call with a big customer today and I'm afraid to do it on my Blackberry, but I'm traveling and it's my only option. It's a flaw in the phone. Someone in this stream said something about hitting a lock key. How do you do tha?. I am desparate for a solution. My company is providing the Blackberry Q but that is still a ways out and this is wreaking havoc on my business life as I live on the road. Please no comments about it being my issue. Obviously many people experience this.
    Sounds like a proximity sensor failure, time for yet another replacement phone is called for.
    05-31-13 09:39 AM
    yes, in fact, I know a guy here, a friend of my buddy who has messing around with his custom-hybrid OS and then damage his touch screen, until today I believe
    05-31-13 01:30 PM