Hey Thyth, is there any way I can get the code and/or scripts for the escreen code generating page, that generate the code?
    04-21-09 07:40 AM
    Is there an option in the Engineering Menu to display the battery meter in "percentage", instead of bars ??

Any ideas geniuses ??
    I haven't noticed one in the escreens, but there's a shortcut for it somewhere. I'll try and search for it if I get a break here, but I'm pretty sure it's one of those shortcuts where you hold the alt key and type a key sequence.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-09 09:39 AM
    everytime you load a new os you have to switch back right or the settings will change back to 3g?
    04-21-09 11:42 AM
    everytime you load a new os you have to switch back right or the settings will change back to 3g?
    i upgraded to .266 this morning and i had to switch it all back. In fact, i had unlock the escreen again. Not a big deal, only took a few mins now that i know how to do it.
    04-21-09 11:56 AM
    Hey Thyth, is there any way I can get the code and/or scripts for the escreen code generating page, that generate the code?
    No. It's a freely accessible system, so you don't need the generating software itself.

If, for some reason, you're interested in the underlying algorithm, I encourage you to look at net_rim_escreen_app.cod in the BlackBerry operating system.
    04-21-09 01:09 PM
    As a matter of fact, every time you reboot you'll have to switch again!
    04-21-09 01:23 PM
    ive been running nothing but 2G since i got it. its a HUGE difference in battery life. how did u get them to set it up for 2G only?
    oops, I meant to say that I set it up for 2G.

My battery life has been sooooo much better so far.
    04-21-09 02:24 PM
    So a few things I've noticed... If I do a reboot using QuickLaunch - the escreen settings will remain. Pretty cool.

However, I've also noticed that every now and then I'll check up on my phone and all of a sudden it's back to 3G. What's up with that? I just have to go back to the escreen and change the setting real quick but it's odd that it would go back to 3G.

Am I the only one experiencing this?
    04-21-09 03:40 PM
    So a few things I've noticed... If I do a reboot using QuickLaunch - the escreen settings will remain. Pretty cool.
    You mean the ability to get to the escreen? That stays around for the amount of time you chose on Thyth's page. A reboot doesn't lose it for you. The only way I've seen to make your phone go back to the Help Me! screen is to set your time/date forward a month and then back to the correct one.

However, I've also noticed that every now and then I'll check up on my phone and all of a sudden it's back to 3G.
    This is the part a restart resets. Apparently the default radio options are included with the branding info and are reset every time the radio is disabled/re-enabled.
    04-21-09 05:27 PM
    This is the part a restart resets. Apparently the default radio options are included with the branding info and are reset every time the radio is disabled/re-enabled.
    Ahh...I think I know what's going on now

Everytime I get into the elevator here at work I lose signal. I guess it goes back to 3G once I get out.

Thanks, digitalb0y!
    04-21-09 05:33 PM
    Thanks for the info OP

Nice way to keep 3G only and not unbranding the phone
    04-21-09 05:46 PM
    At which step? On Thyth's site? Are you including the space and part in parentheses? Perhaps Thyth has some thoughts.

If the app version you enter into the generator isn't an exact match from what you see in the BlackBerry help screen, the generated code won't work. For this reason, I have stringent data entry format requirements. If the generator is giving you an error message about an invalid OS version, you didn't put in a complete OS version (space, parentheses, and all).

It's better for you to get an error message than it is for you to get a useless code and wonder why it doesn't work.
    thanks guys I got it to work the third time I tried it. I've forced my network to edge so now I'm just going to be testing how long my battery life is now.
    04-21-09 06:09 PM
    I just got my bold on sunday. sales rep told me i didnt need to charge the battery right away. obviously i was messing around with it all night and then i charged it at night. on monday all i did was use bbm and the battery died by 6pm. unlocked my phone last night and turned off 3g. phone calls, text, emails, and bbm and i still have around 60%. THANK YOU for this tip. my old iphones battery lasted longer than the 3g bold.
    04-21-09 07:46 PM
    Great post! Thanks for the props. Good to get it all together for those that want the info...makes it easier than having to search for everything!

I forget half of what I do on my BB's so it is nice that I can go back in here and read my posts to learn it all myself again!
    05-12-09 08:49 PM
    Up and running on EDGE. Can't wait to test and see if my call failed troubles are gone for good.

Thanks DB & all that contributed to this thread....
    05-16-09 11:18 AM
    Yes, this is a great thread. FYI, I was involved in a thread the other day with synwars and DB about the escreens. We all came to the conclusion that when you disable 3G (UTRAN), if you switch wifi on or off, whether or not you connect to a wireless network, your change will not stick and your phone will connect back to 3G. If you do not change to or from wifi, you will stay on EDGE.

05-16-09 11:41 AM
    Thanks Skyjackal I found that out quickly lol. My wifi will be off for good now unless it's totally necessary.
    05-16-09 11:59 AM
    Ah. Wasn't sure if that was the case for everyone but it appears so. Pretty cool nonetheless!

05-16-09 12:07 PM
    Is my BlackBerry supposed to re-set the 2G-only settings whenever it switches to another tower?
    05-16-09 06:51 PM
    What settings are you referring to? Do you mean should it switch to 3G when it changes towers? If that is your question, I don't believe so. It should stick to 2G, unless you turn wifi on or off or your radio.

05-16-09 07:28 PM
    What settings are you referring to? Do you mean should it switch to 3G when it changes towers? If that is your question, I don't believe so. It should stick to 2G, unless you turn wifi on or off or your radio.

So when I turn my WiFi off, that will explain why my phone switches to 3G when I leave my house? Just want to make sure I understand

05-16-09 08:28 PM
    So when I turn my WiFi off, that will explain why my phone switches to 3G when I leave my house? Just want to make sure I understand

Yes, exactly. Me and two others here tested it and the results were all the same. Switching it on and off reverts the connection to the default 3G. But it definitely stays on 2G if you don't turn wifi on or off.

05-16-09 08:51 PM
    Yes, exactly. Me and two others here tested it and the results were all the same. Switching it on and off reverts the connection to the default 3G. But it definitely stays on 2G if you don't turn wifi on or off.

Thanks! I've been meaning to ask this for a few days now. Thanks for explaining, I'll be sure to remember this next time I leave the house .

05-16-09 09:26 PM
    Yeah, if you're more dependent on having the ability to turn off 3G than wifi, I suggest leaving your wifi on. It uses less power than the 3G radio by a wide margin, and turning it on and off does the same thing that turning the radio on and off does. It resets the AT&T default behavior of running both GERAN and UTRAN but heavily favoring 3G. If you rarely use wifi, you can turn it off before disabling 3G to save even more battery power. If you use wifi frequently but disable it when you don't use it, you'll have to redo your changes in the PLMN screen whenever you enable/disable wifi.

I'll add something about this in the FAQ at the beginning of the thread. Thanks for your feedback, all. I'm really glad this thread has helped a few people. Maybe it's spared a warranty or three.
    Last edited by digitalb0y; 05-17-09 at 03:00 AM.
    05-17-09 02:58 AM
    I have been trying to get this to work. I can get to my escreen, then I type in my unlock code and nothing happens. Am I entering it correctly? I just am typing it right into the escreen (not into a prompt or anyting)
    05-19-09 02:42 PM
161 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD