Hi everyone,

I'm new to this so just bare with my inexperience and lack of knowledge. I also just purchased my first bb a couple weeks ago. Last night, I was forced to leave my bb out in the car in the cold. I wasn't sure if the cold weather (-8 C or 18 F) would be bad for the phone so I made sure I put it in my winter jacket pocket with the pocket facing down on the car seat..so the rest of the downfill jacket on top of the phone. I have heard about battery draining and wanted to ask you experts out there how cold is too cold to have a bb sitting out in a car for? I left it there for about 2 hours. Would this have damaged my phone in any way? It seemed to work fine when I started playing with it after but would this have any affect say if I did it once a week?

Thanks
    01-08-11 01:23 PM
    I've left my phones and other electronics in my vehicles at temps much colder than that. Overnight shouldn't be an issue.
    Cramen1234 likes this.
    01-08-11 01:34 PM
    Should be no problem at all. Was using my 9700 and now my 9780 over the Christmas period in temps around -20 C. Both working fine.

Phil
    Last edited by prlarkin; 01-08-11 at 04:08 PM. Reason: typo
    Cramen1234 likes this.
    01-08-11 02:04 PM
    It will have no effect. 18 degrees F is no where near cold enough to hurt a Blackberry. I know of RIM devices that have spent the night out in below zero. The LCD will not work as well and the battery will have decreased capacity.

Do not lick it at this temperature!
    Cramen1234 and orenzai like this.
    01-08-11 02:21 PM
    Hey look... frost
    01-08-11 02:35 PM
    I think the Blackberry can take some cold. I left my Blackberry Torch in my car by accident overnight when the temp outside was -35C and it was fine, just freezing when I picked it up lol
    Cramen1234 likes this.
    01-08-11 03:00 PM
    It will have no effect. 18 degrees F is no where near cold enough to hurt a Blackberry. I know of RIM devices that have spent the night out in below zero. The LCD will not work as well and the battery will have decreased capacity.

Thanks! So it's safe to say if I had to do this once a week, it would have no affect in the long run at all? Given the temp doesn't reach below zero of course?
    01-08-11 03:13 PM
    I think the Blackberry can take some cold. I left my Blackberry Torch in my car by accident overnight when the temp outside was -35C and it was fine, just freezing when I picked it up lol
    Oh no! lol. Ya I stood outside for about 10 minutes and it wasn't even THAT cold but my ears felt like they were gonna fall off! Can't imagine what your torch was going through at -35C! lol
    01-08-11 03:19 PM
    The only way I've ever seen a BB get damaged from extreme cold is if you move it from that cold into a much warmer (and usually humid) environment. A friend's LCD cracked as it warmed and I've seen other suffer from water damage due to condensation.
    Cramen1234 likes this.
    01-08-11 03:22 PM
    The only way I've ever seen a BB get damaged from extreme cold is if you move it from that cold into a much warmer (and usually humid) environment. A friend's LCD cracked as it warmed and I've seen other suffer from water damage due to condensation.
    LOL. I actually thought about turning up the heat and putting the phone up by the vent on my way home! I guess that would have been a stupid thing to do.. Though I don't think the phone was that cold when I picked it up.
    01-08-11 03:41 PM
    Quick replies! I'm liking this already!
    01-08-11 03:43 PM
    That's what we're here for!
    Cramen1234 likes this.
    01-08-11 03:56 PM
    Thanks! So it's safe to say if I had to do this once a week, it would have no affect in the long run at all? Given the temp doesn't reach below zero of course?
    I do not want to be nosy but what are you leaving your 9780 out in the cold once every week?
    01-08-11 05:16 PM
    I do not want to be nosy but what are you leaving your 9780 out in the cold once every week?
    Lol. Sorry I didn't explain earlier cause I didn't want a super long original post. I just started playing ice hockey with some guys once a week. Don't know them very well. There are change rooms but it seems that they're not always locked. My friend had thieir phone and wallet taken just last week. They've got small lockers but this place is renovating or something and the lockers are not accessible at this time. Just don't want to take the chance.
    01-08-11 06:07 PM
    You should be fine if you are leaving it for about 1 to 2 hours, I'm doing the same playing hockey and just don't trust the lockers at the arena. I've even gotten my shoes stolen from a locker room before
    01-08-11 06:22 PM
    I'm sure the BB's can take the cold......imagine how cold it is when they are shipped via air. Depending on where they are shipped from, the air temps can get pretty damn cold.
    Cramen1234 likes this.
    01-08-11 08:56 PM
    Ah, that explains it. Not leaving your valubles in the locker room is a wise idea!

I hope you enjoy your 9780. You need not worry about the cold!

Lol. Sorry I didn't explain earlier cause I didn't want a super long original post. I just started playing ice hockey with some guys once a week. Don't know them very well. There are change rooms but it seems that they're not always locked. My friend had thieir phone and wallet taken just last week. They've got small lockers but this place is renovating or something and the lockers are not accessible at this time. Just don't want to take the chance.
    Cramen1234 likes this.
    01-09-11 07:03 AM
    Exactly.
    The best way to warm up a phone (or anything else that you don't want to get wet) keep it wrapped when you bring it inside, so the air doesn't get at it and condensation won't form.

We do this with our hunting rifles in the winter to prevent rusting.
    Cramen1234 likes this.
    01-09-11 08:29 PM
    thanks for all the replies everyone!
    01-15-11 07:24 PM
    I don't have a 9780 but when I visited Deer Valley Utah to ski this winter break, my Storm2 was consistenly in negative degree weather (F), and worked fine. I was able to use it fully when I was on the chairlifts and stuff... so I'm sure it shouldn't be a problem for your BB. One thing Blackberry has always done is make solid hardware for their devices
    01-15-11 07:38 PM
    Just brought my new two week old z10 in from my truck.........forgot it there last night. It's currently -40 outside. Phone is really frosty needless to say. I will post the outcome in a few hrs....
    01-01-14 10:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD