best way to clean the trackball is to order a black one, haha...the white one will just keep turning brown, black ball was by far the best thing ive ever done to this phone!
    03-17-09 12:17 PM
    I also enjoy the licking method and second the fact that it works very well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    i 3rd the licking method. it's kinda like blowing on a nintendo cartridge... doesn't sound like it would work, but then you try it!
    04-22-09 03:02 PM
    Buy a black one on cnn.cn. That's what I did.
    +1 for the black trackball
    04-22-09 05:00 PM
    Why black? What difference does the color make?

04-22-09 05:12 PM
    thanks for the info!
    04-22-09 05:13 PM
    I use one of those microfiber towels and it does work well for the screen and trackball
    04-22-09 09:39 PM
    I use a little bit of lens cleaner and give it a good rolling about. Seems to work okay.

04-22-09 10:27 PM

The material is different from the bold one, it has more...grip.

04-23-09 04:41 AM
    i usually take apart then entire trackball apart, give it a good cleaning with alcohol and then water, and put it back together works good as new! scrolls alot smoother too
    04-23-09 11:36 PM
    pls is there a way to use the blackberry internet service on Laptop. not gprs cause that bills me. i did the whole modem thing and when i connect it bills me i dont know why scince i have the blackberry internet active right...
    08-27-09 07:25 AM
    I just hold mine vertically or with the screen facing down. Then, click in the trackball with my thumbnail while rolling it around or perhaps blasting it with a few quick shots of canned air if it's really sticking. That usually gets the dust and lint out. Then, I guess you could follow up with the alcohol on a Qtip if you wanted it really squeaky clean.
    08-27-09 12:17 PM

Doesn't turn "smokers tooth yellow" like the white one does.
    08-27-09 03:31 PM
    Doesn't turn "smokers tooth yellow" like the white one does.
    Even if my trackball was black I'd still clean it. Just because its black it doesn't mean it doesn't get dirty. I guess my fear of germs kicks in.
    08-27-09 03:56 PM
    thanks for the tips, mine stopped rolling left today too
    08-27-09 10:22 PM
    The black ones just look like dirty trackballs lol

Ive had to send mine back about 5 times for the trackball not responding after ive got so much crap in it!

Annoying really But doesnt cost me anything so cheaper than buying new ones!
    08-28-09 02:38 AM
    I took my trackball apart yesterday and cleaned it completely.

Trying to put it back together i broke the metal casing and destroyed the housing.

Popped out to the dodgy geezer on the street corner in haryana, india - it seems no matter where you are in the world you can pick up a new trackball these days. Didnt think i would be able to get one in sh1tbox haryana.

My new track ball is smashing, i had upped the sensetivity on my last one so high i could hardly control this one at first..

now, where is that black sharpie?
    08-28-09 07:38 AM
    LOL. I won't be trying that licking method.

Yes, but it took a licking and kept on clicking! (ducks)
    08-28-09 10:14 AM
    I took the whole trackball assembly out and put it in a cup of rubbing alcohol and swished it around for about 5 mins and let it dry
    08-28-09 11:40 AM
    just some alcohol/ lighter fluid, a microfibre fabric/ladie's knickers, some cotton buds..... can do the trick. need not endeavor any surgical procedures to the phone.
    08-28-09 11:37 PM
    is there any video instructions as how to totally disassemble the trackball and reassemble? i think i got a lot of crap stuck onto the rollers.
    08-29-09 12:50 PM
    is there any video instructions as how to totally disassemble the trackball and reassemble? i think i got a lot of crap stuck onto the rollers.
    There's a video linked in post #2 that shows how to disassemble the Bold... It looks like you have to remove the housing to get everything apart for the trackball assembly.
    08-29-09 01:50 PM
    I know that part but I'm talking about if there is a way to remove the trackball itself out of its housing to clean inside it and the trackball itself.

08-29-09 03:57 PM
    Well...I've tried cleaning with all sorts of solvents with little success... but I turned the slipping ball with a wet thumb and it worked fine afterwards...?

So... What I now do is whenever I get the trackball sticking clean my hands carefully, wet the trackball.... dry my hands and then repeatedly turn the trackball until it engages... and works fine for weeks before I have to do it again.... but use clean water and don't drown the thing.....

let me know if it works...?
    11-17-09 11:58 AM
    I know that part but I'm talking about if there is a way to remove the trackball itself out of its housing to clean inside it and the trackball itself.

But why do that when you can get a new trackball for 7 bucks or whatever? My old trackball was dirty but also the plastic itself seems to get a bit porous and bumpy over time. A new trackball is sweeeeeet.
    11-17-09 05:11 PM
    I use precision oil that i bought from radio shack, its non conductive.

I dab just a little bit ontop of the trackball and then roll it around.... clean extra oil off with my finger.... not a towel or tissue paper.

Just a dab ppl.. not a huger DAB.... just a little bit like the whole top of the tackball.

Good for a few weeks or more..... the trackball comes prelube and when it dries out. The ball can become stuck.
    11-17-09 06:34 PM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD