Hey guys, i purchased a phone from a store. Blackberry Bold... and told the guy to unlock the phone for me. But i'm curious to know did he unlocked the phone or debranded the phone?

when the phone loads, it loads with the clock in a white screen, when it finishes load and about to load the settings, i see my rogers logo for a brief second (is this the splash screen everyone is talking about)? does this mean my phone was unlocked instead of debranded?

also when i go to options/about

branding version is 1.0.107.236 or is it suppose to be something alongs the lines of 255 with branding version?

my OS is .266

i'm just really hoping that he unlocked and not debrand my phone. any help would be appreciated

kinda kicking myself in the *** for asking the guy to unlock the phone for me as i don't know if he unbranded my phone or unlocked it, since i may use the waranty from rogers for a refurb phone... the bold has been acting little wierd lately.

also even tho i purchased the phone from a small store and the phone says rogers on it, i have confirmed that ill be able to use their warranty which is great. but it all comes down to if my phone is unbranded or unlocked, help me figure it out thanks.
    06-22-09 12:17 AM
    you go to Options, Advanced, SIM CARD, and just type MEPD, and you will see a screen that shows enabled or disabled.

if all is disabled, your phone is unlocked.

debranding only means that you are being a ruthless phone user is removing your carriers stamp off the phone, or messing with the boot up settings, thus making you a renegade!
    06-22-09 12:18 AM
    you go to Options, Advanced, SIM CARD, and just type MEPD, and you will see a screen that shows enabled or disabled.

if all is disabled, your phone is unlocked.

debranding only means that you are being a ruthless phone user is removing your carriers stamp off the phone, or messing with the boot up settings, thus making you a renegade!

yes all is disabled.

if for example network is active i know it means the phone is locked. so my guess is if it was unbranded it would be active but i can still use other carieers sims?

ps thanks for the quick reply
    06-22-09 12:21 AM
    and what does splash screen? the people are talking about when it loads?

first it'll load a white screen with the clock, than i'll see the rogers logo for a brief second before the OS loads.

am i in black? :S
    06-22-09 12:23 AM
    if it shows rogers screen its not unbranded the splash screen shows a blackberry logo instead there is a huge article that tronyx wrote up about debranding if you use the SEARCH feature you'll find it
    06-22-09 12:32 AM
    lol, tronyx probably hates you now for not searching it up first. lol.
    06-22-09 12:36 AM
    you're phone's not unbranded. In short if it's unbranded you wouldn't have the splash screen at all (Splash screen is the rogers logo which shows when your phone starts up). you also wouldn't have any rogers themes/wallpapers on your phone
    06-22-09 01:28 AM
    thanks nikolous

fabulous, i have actually searched and founded the thread. but it didn't asnwer some of the questions. so i guess it was a newbie move to make another thread i know sorry.

for example my loading screen after quickpull v2 or a battery pull, it would show a white screen with the clock, than it'll show my rogers screen for a brief second and load up my OS. which got me really curious if my phone was unbranded, since i thought it is suppose to show rogers screen throughout the period of loading time?

PS sorry tronyx... guess my title is well deserved as Newbie
    Last edited by bobbycole; 06-22-09 at 01:37 AM.
    06-22-09 01:34 AM
    just worried if once i get the refurb phone and return this one. and they've charged me for the refurb bold because i didn't know my phone was unlocked or unbranded (which voids the warranty apparently).... lol the irony of newbiness
    06-22-09 01:39 AM
    why would you return this one and get a refurb though?
    06-22-09 01:47 AM

the track ball acts fishy, and i noticed my screen glitches sometimes when pressing buttons. and today the screen seemed really dimmed, and fuzzy. So i resetted the phone and it worked normal again. i dunno what i should do? i already called in for the refurb phone and it is coming, but also having second thoughts as i babied my blackberry bold.

don't know if the screen glitch was the phone or the screen... the glitch once again the bold was dimed from the top but the buttom screen 1/8 was normal color. after reseting the screen of course was black and restarted itself and the screen was normal again. and apparently it just doesn't seem bright my screen, even when i put it at full max.
    Last edited by bobbycole; 06-22-09 at 02:00 AM.
    06-22-09 01:56 AM

is there anything i should know about refurb blackberry bolds?
    06-22-09 02:00 AM
    nothing much you need to know. but apparently there are 2 different places where they are made and depending where it is the screen brightness is different. can't remember where i read it but it was in a thread on this board
    06-22-09 02:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD