Hello
    I have a Bold 9000, using AT&T wireless service on an enterprise server. I would like to be able to connect to internet on my laptop.
    In other words, I would like to use the BlackBerry as a USB data modem so I can surf the web while travelling
    With the BlackBerry and my laptop.

FYI..... I formerly had a similar service from Verizon which used my cellphone as a USB data modem.

This particular BlackBerry Bold 9000 has international data coverage, full internet, etc. I am guessing that
    I need to obtain an application that will load on both the laptop and BlackBerry.

Please help. All your response will be greatly appreciated
    06-01-09 12:14 PM
    you could try tetherberry TetherBerry | The Web Anywhere
    or ask in the Bold forums
    06-01-09 01:23 PM
    You'll need to do what's called tethering, and your best bet is to contact your provider for a tethering account otherwise you can be hit with massive tethering fees. Verizon charges 15 to 30 per month for unlimited tethering. I'm sure ATT charges are similar.

I'm moving this thread to the Bold Forum (probably already be there by the time you all read this. )
    06-01-09 04:21 PM
    Over at Blackberrycool.com, they have a post detailing how to tether a Blackberry Bold for free. I have been doing it for months now and have been extremely satisfied, and have not been bill by ATT for anything other than normal rates. I do not use tetherberry or ANY third party application. Just my Berry, USB cable, and Windows dial up networking. I have confirmed this working on XP and Windows 7. Never tested on Vista, have not got it to work over buetooth either, but haven't tried too hard.

Hope this helps.

Never pay if you can do it for free!
    06-01-09 05:01 PM
    you could try tetherberry TetherBerry | The Web Anywhere
    or ask in the Bold forums
    waste of money, here's a free solution

Using BlackBerry As Modem - BlackBerryFAQ
    06-01-09 06:56 PM
    Those are the same directions on blackberrycool-dot-com. I see they made the change to the ATT settings I figured out the hard way. This should get you tethered internet access for free without an additional software. Thanks for adding. I'm amazed how many people are dumping money into tetherberry instead of researching for a better solution.

FYI: From what I've learned, this does not work with Verizon...you will get a page telling you to buy a tethering plan.
    06-01-09 07:24 PM
    Eventual ATT will catch on and may charge you, so use sparingly and try to stay off the radar.
    06-01-09 07:58 PM
    Thanks for the tip. The usage levels I've been using are far less than what I could be using if I were streaming media over orb all day, so here's hoping they don't catch on. I'm still curious how much data people have used up in a month. I'm sure you can do some real damage streaming Orb or Tversity 8 hours a day.
    06-01-09 08:48 PM
    All - I wish to thank everyone individually for their input. Thank you Snarfler, ID914, PKCA00ble, and PSYCADA

I will try all the suggestions and post you when done

I did not realize that my question would generate such a response so quickly

Absolutely awesome. Thanks again

Elgranpagan
    06-01-09 09:38 PM

Using BlackBerry As Modem - BlackBerryFAQ
    Hey...Thanks for the post. Im using it right now and it works great.
    06-01-09 09:53 PM
    just did it. i'm getting 116kb. not bad.
    06-22-09 01:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD