I am planning to get the new Blackberry 9780 but wanted to see what eveyone things about the broswer on OS 6 on 9780.

It is better as compared to the old one ? can you actually do some browsing now ?

I am not looking for a comparison with iPhone or Android but the exp of folks using the browser on their phone right now
    11-28-10 02:50 AM
    browser is awesome! a LOT better than i expected watching videos over web. finally, i can now stay away from my desktop for browsing web
    11-28-10 03:50 AM
    Well new browser fixed most of old browsers issues but it brought some other issues as well such as some websites are hard to read no colum wiev and I'd does crash as well. But compared the speed wise it takes much much less time to load websites.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-10 04:46 AM
    Well new browser fixed most of old browsers issues but it brought some other issues as well such as some websites are hard to read no colum wiev and I'd does crash as well. But compared the speed wise it takes much much less time to load websites.

Well, there actually IS a column view..... It is just sporadic whether it works or not.
    11-28-10 05:43 AM
    Well, there actually IS a column view..... It is just sporadic whether it works or not.
    Which means it doesn't work! I have it enabled all the time on OS5 with a bigger minimal font size, I never have to zoom in. Which is super imho!

I have reverted back to OS5 because of this plus some other things I didn't like about OS6 (cluttered!).

11-28-10 06:15 AM
    Which means it doesn't work! I have it enabled all the time on OS5 with a bigger minimal font size, I never have to zoom in. Which is super imho!

I have reverted back to OS5 because of this plus some other things I didn't like about OS6 (cluttered!).

I wonder if anyone has figured out the secret as to where to precisely place the magnifying glass so as to enable column view.
    11-28-10 06:58 AM
    I wonder if anyone has figured out the secret as to where to precisely place the magnifying glass so as to enable column view.
    Still, when you scroll you also go left or right very easily, I found this making this column view option unusable even when it "worked". On OS5 this doesn't happen.

11-28-10 07:57 AM
    Still, when you scroll you also go left or right very easily, I found this making this column view option unusable even when it "worked". On OS5 this doesn't happen.

Here's hoping RIM's programmers are following this thread and are working on giving us what we need.
    11-28-10 08:00 AM
    I think the browser is a lot better, column view or not.
    The loading times are much shorter and scrolling is much smoother - definitely worth the upgrade to OS 6.t

11-28-10 08:03 AM
    I have three days left of my trial period. I like everything about the 9780 except this problem with the browser, but this may be enough to make me return it. I'm really on the fence at the moment, especially because I don't know what phone I'd get instead. The trouble is, this isn't a matter of fixing a bug; Column View just isn't a feature anymore, so I wouldn't expect to see it in any release of 6.0.nnn. And it could be a year before we see 6.1, and who knows if it'll be there... We can expect bug fixes to happen fairly quickly, but feature changes are a different story. After almost two weeks of not being able to read much of anything in the browser without strafing back and forth, I'm beyond annoyed. But in just about every other way the phone is great. Very frustrating.

Ubizmo

11-28-10 08:14 AM
    The new browser is superior to the old one in every way imaginable. And "faster" simply doesn't do the description justice. As far as the actual view, the new browser is to be like the desktop experience thus no column view.
    11-28-10 09:06 AM
    The new browser is superior to the old one in every way imaginable. And "faster" simply doesn't do the description justice. As far as the actual view, the new browser is to be like the desktop experience thus no column view.
    Except it does do a pretty nifty column view sometimes.... When it feels like it.

11-28-10 09:08 AM
    Except it does do a pretty nifty column view sometimes.... When it feels like it.

Yeah I know, I just don't mind it. Regardless it will be fixed in future firmware updates.
    11-28-10 09:47 AM
    I have three days left of my trial period. I like everything about the 9780 except this problem with the browser, but this may be enough to make me return it. I'm really on the fence at the moment, especially because I don't know what phone I'd get instead. The trouble is, this isn't a matter of fixing a bug; Column View just isn't a feature anymore, so I wouldn't expect to see it in any release of 6.0.nnn. And it could be a year before we see 6.1, and who knows if it'll be there... We can expect bug fixes to happen fairly quickly, but feature changes are a different story. After almost two weeks of not being able to read much of anything in the browser without strafing back and forth, I'm beyond annoyed. But in just about every other way the phone is great. Very frustrating.

Ubizmo

Swap it for a 9700, has the choice of both OS5 *and* OS6!

11-28-10 10:11 AM
    Swap it for a 9700, has the choice of both OS5 *and* OS6!

You know, I was sure I was going to stick with the 9700 with the OS6 upgrade. Using the browser you realize the need for more memory REAL quick.

On the 9780 I don't have that problem
    11-28-10 10:15 AM
    You know, I was sure I was going to stick with the 9700 with the OS6 upgrade. Using the browser you realize the need for more memory REAL quick.

On the 9780 I don't have that problem
    Isn't.that just the leaks? Can't imagine it would be like that in the officials.

11-28-10 11:23 AM
    The trouble with that is that it's simply not possible to reproduce the desktop experience on a 2 inch screen. On a desktop browser there's no problem fitting the whole page at a nice readable size without having to scroll horizontally. That experience isn't available on a BB, so some accommodation must be made. On a larger screen device like the Torch, you can hold it in landscape and pinch the text to fit. Not on the 9780.

The only "column view" I've seen on the 9780 is when it loads mobile sites. If I go to cnn.com, it'll load the mobile site and show me a nicely formatted and readable page. When I come to CB I get the regular site until I log in, and then it switches to mobile, but not well formatted for the BB.

I like the tabs quite a lot, but I don't find the loading of pages to be that much faster, frankly.

Ubizmo
    11-28-10 12:15 PM
    The trouble with that is that it's simply not possible to reproduce the desktop experience on a 2 inch screen. On a desktop browser there's no problem fitting the whole page at a nice readable size without having to scroll horizontally. That experience isn't available on a BB, so some accommodation must be made. On a larger screen device like the Torch, you can hold it in landscape and pinch the text to fit. Not on the 9780.

The only "column view" I've seen on the 9780 is when it loads mobile sites. If I go to cnn.com, it'll load the mobile site and show me a nicely formatted and readable page. When I come to CB I get the regular site until I log in, and then it switches to mobile, but not well formatted for the BB.

I like the tabs quite a lot, but I don't find the loading of pages to be that much faster, frankly.

Ubizmo
    When you go to CB you should always go to http://wap.crackberry.com

As for the bug in the current firmware, it will be fixed in newer versions.
    11-28-10 12:19 PM
    When you go to CB you should always go to http://wap.crackberry.com

As for the bug in the current firmware, it will be fixed in newer versions.
    It takes me to wap automatically, after logging into the site. But it's no bargain. The forum doesn't format properly for the BB.

As for the "bug"--are we sure it's a bug? This is the dilemma. How do we know that RIM has any intention of bringing back Column View? Without it, the browsing experience is often much worse than on my 8900. To me, this isn't like other clearly bug-like glitches that have been reported.

Ubizmo
    11-28-10 12:28 PM
    Liked it. Loved it. Now having issues keeping desktop! (Last one not so much, but I do love it!)

11-28-10 01:53 PM
    Someone needs to do a good browser test on youtube... there doesnt seem to be one
    12-01-10 10:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD