Actually, I think that you missed MY point. I completely understood his analogy, but I countered with the fact that if the only leg you have to stand on is the fact that it's global, other manufacturers make global phones also.
    No you didn't understand what he was saying. He was saying given his travels it worked the best for him gobally. It wasn't a leg to stand on. It was his experience helping him best address his needs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-11 07:58 AM
    No you didn't understand what he was saying. He was saying given his travels it worked the best for him gobally. It wasn't a leg to stand on. It was his experience helping him best address his needs.

No, I get it. BB is what works best for him. Even though he probably has very little or no experience with other platforms. And trust me, it is a leg to stand on because most of BB's perceived advantages and this point in time exist only in the users mind.
    McatMadness likes this.
    08-14-11 08:14 AM
    Did you read my original post?

How is BB email better when there is no 2-way sync between my BIS gmail and my handheld. I find myself deleting the same messages twice (once on my desktop, once on my Blackberry).

Anyway, doesn't look like anyone can help. I thought maybe blackberry had implemented proper IMAP with the new 9900. Doesn't look like it.
    I'm on iPhone but when I had my 9650 I remember there being a setting for deleting emails from both the device and your mailbox.
    08-14-11 08:18 AM
    Luckily my 9900 (you know the forum we're currently speaking in) boots up in one minute, and the spinning clock has been pretty non-existent. HPSA+ speed while web browsing has improved the experience alot.

Android is fun to tinker around with, but always gets boring. iPhone is ONLY bearable when jailbroken, pretty but irritatingly unintuitive in its interface. Neither I have stayed with, have always gone back the simplicity of BB
    If Android gets boring you must be dying on BB OS.
    nyc_rock, mrmoe110 and aNYthing24 like this.
    08-14-11 08:23 AM
    I'm having a problem with my 9650. I am unable to forward email attachments. This seems like a basic email function. So if I get an email with w PDF attachment, I am unable to forward that email with the attachment. The email gets forwarded but no attachment. I never had this problem with my Palm device. Seems like a basic email function for the BB. Anyone else have this problem?
    08-14-11 08:51 AM
    Is that with any pdf attachment or just one particular one? Also are you on BES or BIS for your email? What version of software is on your 9650?

Personally, I have never had any problems forwarding on pdf attachments, but maybe else has seen something similar so any additional information you can provide might help them to help you.
    08-14-11 08:54 AM
    I mostly get PDFs. I will experiement with different types. I believe it is any attachment. I'm running 6.0.0.600 official Sprint software. A little embarrasing, but what is the difference between BES and BIS? When the email comes in, I hit the menu key, then forward, but no attachment.
    08-14-11 08:59 AM
    No, I get it. BB is what works best for him. Even though he probably has very little or no experience with other platforms. And trust me, it is a leg to stand on because most of BB's perceived advantages and this point in time exist only in the users mind.
    I totally see what mack is saying. If I were the average consumer who isn't loyal to any brand and had to decide which phone to buy for $200 , I would pick the phone with a better camera if every other spec were the same. Due to our biases, we think that BB's are "good enough" or irrationally put it on a pedestal, often without trying other competitors' phones.
    08-14-11 09:07 AM
    Do you have a button for forward, reply all find in email or flag for follow up? Or a button to take you back to where you last read the email if you had to close it before you finished reading it?

Didn't think so.

RIM should use this in their ad campaigns... as-is.

Anyhoo, this is the stock Gmail app on my EVO.

You can see the reply button (yep... one button replies). You see the star button (which allows me to flag emails... again, one button) The triangle lets me invoke other options that I don't want to be default anyway (like reply-all).

When I close out of email while reading an email and then re-open, I go straight back to where I stopped. I have never even seen that as unique. Clicking the Gmail icon from anywhere does this seamlessly.

By the way, there are other free apps that give more functionality (and skinned Gmail apps on XDA), but I tend to believe if stock works, then I use that.

Guys, the things that once made BB extremely special are being done by others. maybe differently, but they are being done.

BTW, I am pretty much with DeRuset when it comes to seconds being valuable.
    mrmoe110 and aNYthing24 like this.
    08-14-11 09:37 AM
    RIM should use this in their ad campaigns... as-is.

Anyhoo, this is the stock Gmail app on my EVO.

You can see the reply button (yep... one button replies). You see the star button (which allows me to flag emails... again, one button) The triangle lets me invoke other options that I don't want to be default anyway (like reply-all).

When I close out of email while reading an email and then re-open, I go straight back to where I stopped. I have never even seen that as unique. Clicking the Gmail icon from anywhere does this seamlessly.

By the way, there are other free apps that give more functionality (and skinned Gmail apps on XDA), but I tend to believe if stock works, then I use that.

Guys, the things that once made BB extremely special are being done by others. maybe differently, but they are being done.

BTW, I am pretty much with DeRuset when it comes to seconds being valuable.
    That's for Gmail, what about any other email accounts in a unified inbox?
    And by the way, can you do it all without having to even open the email as you can with a BB?
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 08-14-11 at 09:45 AM.
    08-14-11 09:41 AM
    I just press long on any gmail on my streak to see all the options..reply or whatever. Faster than clicking menu and trackpad on my torch.
    And I can download all my gmails, open any attachment no matters how big. Got into trouble few times with bb's truncated emails. I dont see any real advantage on bb's native email handling.
    And bbos6 is comparable to symbian...archaic. Android froyo and gb is not comparable to bbos..way better interface
    mrmoe110 likes this.
    08-14-11 09:44 AM
    That's for Gmail, what about any other email accounts in a unified inbox?

Back to what I said about third-party apps. There are free apps that do all this AND give a unified box. I desperately looked for one when I first switched... till I figured I didn't need it anymore, and went back to the stock app.

The point is, if I want a unified box, I can get it in seconds.
    08-14-11 09:47 AM
    Back to what I said about third-party apps. There are free apps that do all this AND give a unified box. I desperately looked for one when I first switched... till I figured I didn't need it anymore, and went back to the stock app.

The point is, if I want a unified box, I can get it in seconds.
    Unified inbox for sms, email, facebook, facebook chat, twitter, IMs, weather, and anything else you get nottifications for?

08-14-11 09:58 AM
    Unified inbox for sms, email, facebook, facebook chat, twitter, IMs, weather, and anything else you get nottifications for?

Yea, the notification bar across the top.
    08-14-11 10:02 AM
    Not the same thing, that's only for new notifications isn't it?

08-14-11 10:04 AM
    Not the same thing, that's only for new notifications isn't it?

Yep. But I don't understand why I would want all of that stuff together anyway. That is why Android has widgets. So I guess that Android's unified inbox would be the screen itself.
    08-14-11 10:08 AM
    Great point.
    08-14-11 10:15 AM
    I don't think it was mentioned elsewhere is this thread so if it was please forgive me. Not that is is an droid/iphone vs bb thing but I have found that any device with soley a touch screen's virtual keyboard to actually consume too much real estate. Its fine for quick txt/emails but if you have to write a long email it is too much of a pain to scroll up and down to see what you have written.

May be that my memory isn't what it once was but this as well as some of the other minor messaging issues steered me away from my Captivate. I eventually gave it to my wife to use as a pacifier for my children in waiting rooms, shopping etc. I found this to be the same with the Torch as well except that it had better messaging than the droid.
    08-14-11 10:36 AM
    With all due respect, you've had that phone for about ten minutes. How about your previous BB?

Yes, Verizon 4G is really that fast!
    With all due respect, this is the 9900 forum, and it's the current model, and it does indeed boot in less than a minute so why would you use an old model for comparison?

Also, I just switched to a 9900 from a Droid 2 Global, and in my opinion, the other platforms are catching up, but BB still has the better messaging. The unified inbox and LED were the biggest things missing from Android IMO. Not to mention the keyboard kicks the **** out of any other phone hands down.

Last edited by Dekerta; 08-14-11 at 11:03 AM.
    08-14-11 10:52 AM
    i have had two droids (tbolt and charge) i-toy and several BB's. i have not used a bb in 6 months and i cannot wait to dump the charge and get this 9930.

the droid os is ok when it works, but it freezes like crap...all the time. many times is freezes when calls come in and you can't answer the phone. you have to do a battery pull and call the person back.

i have been through several devices, software upgrades....the droids are a lot like the iphone. if you like to play games or are an app geek...they are not bad.

if you use your phone for productivity, the new bold touch blows them all away. the only things it's missing is 4g. the calendar, the keyboard, productivity apps...all blow the android and iphone away.

the droids have issues from time to time with email (especially aol)....also if you need to make it through a day, you need an extra battery.

and bb's also handle gmail just as well as droids.
    08-14-11 10:53 AM
    Yep. But I don't understand why I would want all of that stuff together anyway. That is why Android has widgets. So I guess that Android's unified inbox would be the screen itself.
    Because you can access it all by simply pressing M, everything in one inbox. There you can choose what to do with them, you can delete them all, mark them all as read in one simple move, you can select multiple messages be them sms, facebook nottifications, emails, IM conversations etc for deleting, saving or anything else. You can quicly search in real time just by pressing S and so on.

I'm sorry, but there's so much functionality built into the messages folder, no other platform comes even close.

08-14-11 11:00 AM
    i have had two droids (tbolt and charge) i-toy and several BB's. i have not used a bb in 6 months and i cannot wait to dump the charge and get this 9930.

the droid os is ok when it works, but it freezes like crap...all the time. many times is freezes when calls come in and you can't answer the phone. you have to do a battery pull and call the person back.

i have been through several devices, software upgrades....the droids are a lot like the iphone. if you like to play games or are an app geek...they are not bad.

if you use your phone for productivity, the new bold touch blows them all away. the only things it's missing is 4g. the calendar, the keyboard, productivity apps...all blow the android and iphone away.

the droids have issues from time to time with email (especially aol)....also if you need to make it through a day, you need an extra battery.

and bb's also handle gmail just as well as droids.
    Ios/android are far superior when comes to productivity apps. It's not even close.
    08-14-11 11:12 AM
    I can definitely trust that you feel the BB has no advantages. That does not make it so. It only does for you. It doesn't for him or myself. I have used them all by the way. It is fun to try out the different platforms.
    08-14-11 11:17 AM
    Because you can access it all by simply pressing M, everything in one inbox. There you can choose what to do with them, you can delete them all, mark them all as read in one simple move, you can select multiple messages be them sms, facebook nottifications, emails, IM conversations etc for deleting, saving or anything else. You can quicly search in real time just by pressing S and so on.

I'm sorry, but there's so much functionality built into the messages folder, no other platform comes even close.

You missed the all-important qualifier: for you.

Your stance is that BB is better at messaging because of shortcuts, grouping sms and tweets with emails and hitting M. I am telling you that other platforms can replicate that, and have added functionality. i can have a widget screen if I so wanted with all my feeds and wouldn't even have to click on them.

I have a dedicated search button that I can click in any program (especially email) and searches instantly. I can do that by voice too.

Belfast, I realize that I can tell you that Android/iOS solved world hunger, and that RIM was caught wearing a red robe and wielding a pitchfork with a "Lucifer" tattoo, and you would STILL say RIM is best, but we can at least agree that messaging needs are different, can't we?
    08-14-11 11:22 AM
    Exactly.

This is what I finally got to after finding a unified email box app. I set up K9 to mimic my BB experience... and then, it occurred to me: why do I need all of these in one place? Widgets are infinitely more convenient for me; I can configure everything to come in where I want them to, and how I want them to.

Since I manage multiple networking sites, it really does me no good to feed them into my personal box.
    08-14-11 11:27 AM
209 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD