That's pretty ridiculous. How can something as basic as that not be fixed?

I still want the phone but this is kind of a huge bummer....
    Ever thought maybe Google is the problem?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-11 01:58 PM
    On one hand, people in here love to tout BB's efficiency and how shortcuts save so much time. But on the other hand, these same people are perfectly willing to accept things like 5-10+ minute boot times and that dreaded spinning clock.
    And on the other hand, Ive NEVER experienced 5-10+ minute boot times. On the other hand, I don't get the spinning clock. On the other hand, I don't use my phone as a toy - it is a tool.

I think we are both out of hands here but the point is people need to realize that Blackberry phones are NOT entertainment devices. They are tools for productivity. If you want to play games get something else and leave the tools for those of us that know what they were meant to do.

You wouldn't run a Toyota Yaris in an F1 race just because it has 4 wheels and a transmission would you?
    Last edited by jquintana83; 08-13-11 at 02:34 PM.
    buwee and USSZulu like this.
    08-13-11 02:11 PM
    I've been reading all the comments about how the blackberry is better at messaging than the iPhone and android phones. Can someone explain how so?

I've been a blackberry user since the very beginning... and since then, the things that irritated me then still do. For example:

1. Still no imap support. Why do I have to delete / file messages twice when using BIS?
    2. BES implementation is not perfect. Those using filesite within outlook will know what I'm talking about. File a bunch of messages using fast filer and there is a 50% chance that message may or may not be deleted/reconciled from your blackberry.
    3. Why does all my web browsing data have to go through RIM's NOC. In my experience this extra compression does lower data usage - but man does it ever make web browsing slow and unbearable.

The list goes on. With Microsoft activesync using SSL encryption I just don't see the benefit for corporate email anymore.

On top of that, something I thought I would never say, but other phones (iPhone) just do all messaging so much better than the blackberry. Push email with activesync/gmail/yahoo is so much better than RIM's implementation. You have an exact copy of your folders - push is true push. You name it.

The only thing blackberry has going for itself these days is a great keyboard.

... a still frustrated bb user. RIM, you're making it mighty hard to stick around.
    I understand your frustrations. I set my Bold 9650 down several months ago and have been jumping between a T-Bolt and Pre2. I use EAS (had BES with the BB) with each.

To sum it up plainly: Android and EAS is a spotty proposition at best.

Since the last software upgrade to the ThunderBolt, my email client has dropped my Exchange and Yahoo account three times. That is, go to check messages, and there are none there. Contacts and calendar items remain, but email is blank. Attempts to change the settings or even remove the accounts to set them up again ends up an exercise in futility. Yesterday (the third time), my emails went blank. Of course the Gmail works flawlessly, but I have hosted exchange and EAS is not some new standard.

No matter, I can't be interrupted by these bugs. All the amazing other apps, and things you can do with Android is undone if it doesn't have basic stability. I was going to switch back to the Pre2 (which does EAS very, very well, and I like the notifications better), or maybe pick up an HTC Trophy (haven't tried WP7 yet), but knew the new Bold was coming. Saw that I could order it first thing Monday. That's all I needed.

For some reason, I can't send SMS and MMS off my tbolt with 100% consistency, and the IM client inconveniently signs me off.

PIM integration has turned into a nightmare. It links contacts from different directories well enough, but how it translates names and characters has become comical. An ampersand (& sign), now translates to "&". How does it flub 8 bytes of data into 40? And apostrophes for people's last names? Forget it.

The device works very well with the "entertainment" aspects of mobile communications.

iOS, works, but notifications are terrible. iOS5 supposedly fixes that, but I've run my course with them.

If the Bold weren't out in a couple days, I'd be back on the Pre2. WebOS handles EAS very, very well, and has the best notifications in the business I think (or on par with BB), and the PIM integration is the best of the bunch.

If you're on BES, the integration of memos and tasks trumps the rest by far.

YMMV, but the revealing characteristics of these other platforms is in the availability of their apps and their browser. It's all subjective. I've been with Android long enough to know that I'm not bound to be a long time user of the OS.
    08-13-11 02:26 PM
    On one hand, people in here love to tout BB's efficiency and how shortcuts save so much time. But on the other hand, these same people are perfectly willing to accept things like 5-10+ minute boot times and that dreaded spinning clock.
    Less than a minute to boot up my 9900 and NO spinning clock here
    08-13-11 02:32 PM
    And on the other hand, Ive NEVER experienced 5-10+ minute boot times. On the other hand, I don't get the spinning clock. On the other hand, I don't use my phone as a toy - it is a tool.

I think we are both out of hands here but the point is people need to realize that Blackberry phones are NOT entertainment devices. They are tools for productivity. If you want to play games get something else and leave the tools for those of us that know what they were meant to do.

You wouldn't take ran a Toyota Yaris in an F1 race just because it has 4 wheels and a transmission would you?
    No extended boot times means you're the exception, not the rule. And I knew it wouldn't be long before the old tool/toy argument was used. A BB has no more capability as a tool than any other smartphone, it's all in how the individual chooses to use it.

Yes, Verizon 4G is really that fast!
    08-13-11 02:39 PM
    No extended boot times means you're the exception, not the rule. And I knew it wouldn't be long before the old tool/toy argument was used. A BB has no more capability as a tool than any other smartphone, it's all in how the individual chooses to use it.

It's a built-in conceited view that some BB users have. BB means work, everything else is a toy! LOL!

FTR, I love that I can be writing a book, build our website, and manage MS Office Suite on my device... and take breaks to videochat with family or watch Netflix. I LOVE my toy!

Back to the thread: between Swype and GB keyboard, I'd take any of you physical keyboarders any time!
    08-13-11 02:47 PM
    Wow. I figured we had outgrown the iPhone is a toy argument. Lol. Only reason I want tom return to blackberry, is the keyboard and notification options. I haven't seen to much with iOS 5, but notifications may become a non-issue. Either way, I think I want a keyboard for my next phone

I don't think that bb is better for messaging, but I do know I seem to message more with my bb, when it's my primary phone. For some reason, it makes me feel complete. Lol. Like everything is good in the world.
    08-13-11 03:03 PM
    To answer the OP:

Steps to take:
    1. Try typing on a touch screen
    2. Try typing on a blackberry
    3. /closethread
    crigga84, sam_b77 and orenzai like this.
    08-13-11 03:18 PM
    It's all user preference. Some people absolutely must have the keyboard to be able to type 5 seconds faster than they would on a touch screen phone. For people who are practical and realize that this isn't a big deal at all, iPhones/Androids are just fine for messaging as well.
    Seconds matter in MANY areas,
    How long it takes to get through the 50 emails you got while in a board meeting on the 5 minute "comfort break" can mean big dollars, having 5 seconds faster per email, plus the second saved when navigating it with the short cuts, can be the difference between getting them all done, and not getting them all done.

it isn't for everyone, but "practical people" can decide what is best for their needs, and for the majority that speed of communication are paramount, choose BlackBerry's those who need to consume more than they transmit, often are better served with iPhone or Android full screen devices.
    billybobjones likes this.
    08-13-11 04:15 PM
    Once a week? That's fine except that I know that BB's still experience random reboots, not to mention the fact that you have to reboot it any time that you install something (for some reason). 500 times? OK, and how much time are you really saving? I can set up shortcuts on my screen to achieve the same things just as fast. And what are billable hours anyway? Everything that I do is unlimited anyway.
    Hours in a day that you are working are Billable hours, for me that is about 12.5h that stuff must get accomplished in depending on the time zone of the person receiving the information

My torch 9800 NEVER randomly rebooted,
    I am sure my Torch did need to reboot every time I installed something, but that again was less than once a week, as I suspect in the 40 some odd weeks I used it, I installed less than 20 apps
    my 9900 has yet to require a reboot from an App installation. so that argument about the BlackBerry's is getting old when talking about a 9900 vs an iPhone.

setting up shortcuts on your home screen? seriously? these are the short cuts I use more than 10 times per day
    "C" - Compose Message
    "R" - Reply To Message
    "L" - Reply To All
    "ALT+U" - Mark Message As Opened/Unopened
    "ALT+O" - View Outbox
    "ALT+S" - View SMS
    "SPACE" - Move to the bottom of a screen
    "SHIFT+SPACE" - Move to the top of a screen
    "T" - Go to top of a message
    "B" - Go to bottom of a message

there are a few other's I use less frequently. but putting those on the home screen would be pointless.
    08-13-11 04:29 PM
    How long it takes to get through the 50 emails you got while in a board meeting on the 5 minute "comfort break" can mean big dollars, having 5 seconds faster per email, plus the second saved when navigating it with the short cuts, can be the difference between getting them all done, and not getting them all done.

it isn't for everyone, but "practical people" can decide what is best for their needs, and for the majority that speed of communication are paramount, choose BlackBerry's those who need to consume more than they transmit, often are better served with iPhone or Android full screen devices.
    With all due respect, because i do agree with you, what percentage of the population does this apply to? Don't get me wrong, I'm awaiting the 9900 to come out. But I bet the "quicker reply to emails" argument applies to less tha 1% of people. Not everyone is in board meetings. There are many things to consider when buying a smartphone and I believe it's tough to argue a point about one aspect. But, hey, that's just me.
    Last edited by TgeekB; 08-13-11 at 04:52 PM.
    08-13-11 04:44 PM

You take care of 50 emails during a "comfort-break" and save your clients (presumably) money by saving seconds with shortcuts? I'm sure I receive more emails than you per day. I'm also sure I sit on more boards than you. When you are at that level, you have someone who brings to your attention the most important emails (presumably your assistant).

I have to say, if Mike L and Jim B think the same way, there is a reason why RIM is going down the tubes.

Sorry. Something about your arrogant post just doesn't sit right with me. On that note, I love my Blackberry 9900. Let's just love it for what it is. Innovative it is not.
    McatMadness likes this.
    08-13-11 05:22 PM
    With all due respect, because i do agree with you, what percentage of the population does this apply to? Don't get me wrong, I'm awaiting the 9900 to come out. But I bet the "quicker reply to emails" argument applies to less tha 1% of people. Not everyone is in board meetings. There are many things to consider when buying a smartphone and I believe it's tough to argue a point about one aspect. But, hey, that's just me.

we are asking what makes the BlackBerry a better messaging phone, speed of getting those messages out is part of why it is a better messaging phone, just because one is better doesn't mean others can't be good, they just aren't better.
    yes 1% of the population requires it, but that is enough. a greater percentage needs to consumer media, which is why full touchscreens exist, and why they out sell, and why RIM is missing the mark
    08-13-11 05:28 PM
    we are asking what makes the BlackBerry a better messaging phone, speed of getting those messages out is part of why it is a better messaging phone, just because one is better doesn't mean others can't be good, they just aren't better.
    yes 1% of the population requires it, but that is enough. a greater percentage needs to consumer media, which is why full touchscreens exist, and why they out sell, and why RIM is missing the mark
    Well said. What is RIM to do about missing the mark? I'm just hoping the 9900/9930 continues to be a great messaging device while moving closer to being a good entertainment device too. I've tried both Android and iPhone which are both great devices, but I still prefer BB. I just want a shift, not a large change, and I believe they can continue to draw a large market.
    08-13-11 05:50 PM
    Less than a minute to boot up my 9900 and NO spinning clock here
    With all due respect, you've had that phone for about ten minutes. How about your previous BB?

08-13-11 05:53 PM
    Ever thought maybe Google is the problem?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I highly doubt that since it's instant on the iPhone.
    08-13-11 06:14 PM
    It's not just useful for boardroom meetings, either. I spend a lot of time in construction where I can hear a message come in, open that message purely by feel, and take a quick glance at it to decide whether it's important - in the middle of hammering or screwing with my other hand.

I also get together with the foreman and board members to discuss various design issues, and the same thing can be done - get to and open the new message by feel, take a quick glance (without anyone thinking I'm distracted) and either excuse myself for an important message or, by feel, mark it unread again and back out to the home screen.

Keyboard shortcuts are the best messaging feature for me, based on what I use the phone for. Also, I don't even use desktop mail clients anymore unless I need to view an unsupported attachment, so I have no issues with synchronising. I have two push accounts that deliver instantly, and another OWA account that gets the notification to me in 2-10 minutes.

I'm not going to say BlackBerry is the best messaging platform for everyone, but it is for me.
    08-13-11 06:35 PM
    You take care of 50 emails during a "comfort-break" and save your clients (presumably) money by saving seconds with shortcuts? I'm sure I receive more emails than you per day. I'm also sure I sit on more boards than you. When you are at that level, you have someone who brings to your attention the most important emails (presumably your assistant).

I have to say, if Mike L and Jim B think the same way, there is a reason why RIM is going down the tubes.

Sorry. Something about your arrogant post just doesn't sit right with me. On that note, I love my Blackberry 9900. Let's just love it for what it is. Innovative it is not.

My message was not intended to be arrogant, and I am far from in a position to having an assistant, it would be pretty redundant,
    I very much expect you sit in more boards than me, as I spend a bulk of my time traveling not sitting in board rooms, but it is those board meetings that I really find the value of the 5 second savers. I was very much pointing out that "practical people" look at all things and how they need them, if you follow who I quoted, and then who they quoted you would see what my position is I would hope, I am nothing but a grunt worker (IMO)

I really don't know how I want to fully reply to your attack at me here, but I'll just end it as is

EDIT:

I just noticed your only post is to attack my arrogance? seriously...
    Last edited by deRusett; 08-13-11 at 06:43 PM.
    08-13-11 06:39 PM
    BlackBerry is a messaging machine. That's it's cup of tea.

I've got a touch device and nothing comes close to the QWERTY BlackBerry puts on their devices.
    sashas likes this.
    08-13-11 06:42 PM
    On a Blackberry you can accomplish tasks in seconds thanks to the keyboard and shortcuts. Often seconds is all I have. If I have to start gesturing and swiping just to get to some function, forget it. I'll leave it to later when I get to my PC, which means I probably wouldn't.

Example: I'm talking to someone and was just reminded I need to ask quickly send a message to someone else, setup a reminder or create a calendar event, and I have a few seconds free to accomplish this while the other person is pausing. Should I start gesturing, tapping and swiping multiple screens to write something down? It would be impractical and awkward to interrupt the conversation so I wouldn't. The missed opportunities pile up and for what, killing time playing games?
    08-13-11 08:01 PM
    I've been reading all the comments about how the blackberry is better at messaging than the iPhone and android phones. Can someone explain how so?
    One example. Forwarded my friend an email tonight and he never got it. Gmail shows it as sent. He has Gmail as well. So I assume Google can deliver email from user to user within Gmail basically without fail.

I use a BlackBerry and he has an Android phone.

I did my part.
    08-14-11 12:32 AM
    Another example. I was at Comic Con recently. There was this one convention hall that had really horrible signal levels for Verizon. My phone showed no bars at all and at times "No Service" or whatever. I was trying to use the web and send emails, but it was very very slow or would fail. So I fired up BBM and sent messages to a co-worker that also has a Blackberry. BBM messages zipped through without pause. I was like... wow.
    08-14-11 12:36 AM
    Another example. I was at Comic Con recently. There was this one convention hall that had really horrible signal levels for Verizon. My phone showed no bars at all and at times "No Service" or whatever. I was trying to use the web and send emails, but it was very very slow or would fail. So I fired up BBM and sent messages to a co-worker that also has a Blackberry. BBM messages zipped through without pause. I was like... wow.
    There are/will be times where carrier data service will bog, or cease, the same goes for BIS

Sent from my Incredible using Tapatalk
    08-14-11 12:38 AM
    There are/will be times where carrier data service will bog, or cease, the same goes for BIS

Sent from my Incredible using Tapatalk
    Yes well in years that is the only time when I have had just a single service deliver when all others could not on my phone.
    08-14-11 12:45 AM
    1. Still no imap support. Why do I have to delete / file messages twice when using BIS?
    Would not an open continuous IMAP connection kill the battery faster?
    08-14-11 12:47 AM
209 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD