I've been reading all the comments about how the blackberry is better at messaging than the iPhone and android phones. Can someone explain how so?

I've been a blackberry user since the very beginning... and since then, the things that irritated me then still do. For example:

1. Still no imap support. Why do I have to delete / file messages twice when using BIS?
    2. BES implementation is not perfect. Those using filesite within outlook will know what I'm talking about. File a bunch of messages using fast filer and there is a 50% chance that message may or may not be deleted/reconciled from your blackberry.
    3. Why does all my web browsing data have to go through RIM's NOC. In my experience this extra compression does lower data usage - but man does it ever make web browsing slow and unbearable.

The list goes on. With Microsoft activesync using SSL encryption I just don't see the benefit for corporate email anymore.

On top of that, something I thought I would never say, but other phones (iPhone) just do all messaging so much better than the blackberry. Push email with activesync/gmail/yahoo is so much better than RIM's implementation. You have an exact copy of your folders - push is true push. You name it.

The only thing blackberry has going for itself these days is a great keyboard.

... a still frustrated bb user. RIM, you're making it mighty hard to stick around.
    James Wang likes this.
    08-13-11 06:11 AM
    I've been reading all the comments about how the blackberry is better at messaging than the iPhone and android phones. Can someone explain how so?
    The keyboard. Messages take no time at all to type out, and keyboard shortcuts makes it more efficient. Little things like pressing R to start a reply or C to compose a new message can save a lot of time.
    08-13-11 06:22 AM
    Email being a blackberry competitive advantage is an outdated notion.
    Last edited by garment69; 08-13-11 at 06:32 AM.
    08-13-11 06:24 AM
    Email being a blackberry competitive advantage an outdated notion.
    And has been for some time.
    08-13-11 06:25 AM
    The gap has narrowed to be honest, but the main thing is reliability. I have an IP4 (thats been dev unlocked IOS5 Beta5 and prior jailbreak) with IOS 5 notifications are handled better(copied Android) but still facebook, twitter push notifications just arent there.
    Android tends to be better but sporadic. Texting wise i notice no real difference to be honest.
    Email BB is more reliable but not as nice looking and have to select download images which can get annoying. IOS and Android render better but I dont like how IOS handles seperate email deletion (doesnt return to all automatically) and Android i always get the dang ghost emails(i.e. check,delete and then they come right back)

EDIT: Oh and the best feature tied into messaging i believe is the control you have with notificaton light, tones and vibration pattern. Being able to modify these/message type is the best feature ever on any phone on any platform. No contest. Many apps have been made none have succeeded on other platforms.
    Last edited by ratchetjaw; 08-13-11 at 06:28 AM.
    08-13-11 06:25 AM
    Messaging hype is getting old. I can use swype on touch screen..it's not that bad.
    we can see the bb user demography changing from corporate user to teens.. from power users to people obsessed with bbm and chatting, facebook etc.
    User experience is whats important today. Phones can be something exciting, not just a chatboard with tinyscreen for loading slow browser.
    Lorenn_x likes this.
    08-13-11 06:27 AM
    yay! for once we didn't jump the OP for ranting about something!

I will agree, the gap has really narrowed. Apart from security, I think at this point it's a matter of preference.

Almost all 3 major phones do the same thing (i, BB, And).

I wish RIM would create something that revolutionize smartphone.
    Lorenn_x and wayneholbrook like this.
    08-13-11 06:34 AM
    "However, the iPhone OS still suffers from a major security vulnerability, which is
    called jailbreaking. Jailbreaking allows the user to modify iPhone’s 9ile system. The software lets the user unlock the phone and download any applications they desire. This allows the user to bypass Apple’s security and management systems, rendering the phone susceptible to security threats such as malware and hackers. In addition, the platform still lacks critical security features such as on device data encryption and over the air 9irmware updates. As a result, the iPhone security solution fails at the 9irst line of defense, which is device level security. Vulnerabilities, such as using the emergency call feature to gain access to the home deck, are still being discovered. It also relies on thirdparty vendors to supply security at other levels such as VPNs.

Overall enterprises should proceed with caution and limit the use of iPhones, especially for sensitive data."
    08-13-11 06:37 AM
    Messaging hype is getting old. I can use swype on touch screen..it's not that bad.
    we can see the bb user demography changing from corporate user to teens.. from power users to people obsessed with bbm and chatting, facebook etc.
    User experience is whats important today. Phones can be something exciting, not just a chatboard with tinyscreen for loading slow browser.
    True in a way. Swype is ok but I got bored with it and tired of it,except for quick replies. It really does boil down to personal choice. I have had every OS out except Meego and they all have their drawbacks like others said.

The messaging/communication factor can never get old considering its a cell phone. All the big screen web browsing/gaming is why we all are getting/got tablets right .

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-11 06:42 AM
    Who cares about the advantages? What kind of businessmen don't use BlackBerry model phones?
    abdul likes this.
    08-13-11 07:34 AM
    Who cares about the advantages? What kind of businessmen don't use BlackBerry model phones?
    Good point!
    orenzai and jonty12 like this.
    08-13-11 07:37 AM
    i love all the shortcurts for messaging. I work a lot of their phone and it jast saves so much time

f forward
    s search
    c compose
    r reply
    l replay all

and many more...
    08-13-11 07:39 AM
    i love all the shortcurts for messaging. I work a lot of their phone and it jast saves so much time

f forward
    s search
    c compose
    r reply
    l replay all

and many more...
    On one hand, people in here love to tout BB's efficiency and how shortcuts save so much time. But on the other hand, these same people are perfectly willing to accept things like 5-10+ minute boot times and that dreaded spinning clock.
    Rickroller likes this.
    08-13-11 07:44 AM
    Luckily my 9900 (you know the forum we're currently speaking in) boots up in one minute, and the spinning clock has been pretty non-existent. HPSA+ speed while web browsing has improved the experience alot.

Android is fun to tinker around with, but always gets boring. iPhone is ONLY bearable when jailbroken, pretty but irritatingly unintuitive in its interface. Neither I have stayed with, have always gone back the simplicity of BB
    08-13-11 07:48 AM
    I've gone from a full touch screen back to a bb keyboard, and it just feels 1000 times better! The display of chats works well as ever.

I loved my windows htc for texting and its message display, but ithis is just better. Shame I'm not very good at texting on a bb one handed lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    pblakk and sashas like this.
    08-13-11 07:53 AM
    the problem with iphone 4 email push system is that it is so unreliable..many times i need to manually refresh, and sometimes message got sent..if you need top rate email system reliability i give iphone a fail.

08-13-11 07:56 AM
    Agreed... I'm seeing the lower end of the market carrying curves around on social only BIS plans (for BBM). Starting to see all the corporate types carrying around an iPhone...
    [email protected] likes this.
    08-13-11 08:01 AM
    the problem with iphone 4 email push system is that it is so unreliable..many times i need to manually refresh, and sometimes message got sent..if you need top rate email system reliability i give iphone a fail.

What are you using for push?

I've used an iPhone using Exchange Activesync and it seemed to me that it was light-years ahead of BES. No idea what server load is like with Activesync vs. BES though.
    ADGrant likes this.
    08-13-11 08:02 AM
    What are you using for push?

I've used an iPhone using Exchange Activesync and it seemed to me that it was light-years ahead of BES. No idea what server load is like with Activesync vs. BES though.
    I refer to gmail..I set to push under new data option, but I never get new emails until I manually hit email icon, and to my horror some emails never sent out.. I never use exchange activesync on iphone so no comment on that
    08-13-11 08:11 AM
    I refer to gmail..I set to push under new data option, but I never get new emails until I manually hit email icon, and to my horror some emails never sent out.. I never use exchange activesync on iphone so no comment on that
    You don't have your iPhone setup properly for push gmail, that's why. You need to be using gmail's activesync setup for push.

Setting up Google Sync with your iOS device : Google Sync - Google Mobile Help
    [email protected] likes this.
    08-13-11 08:17 AM
    I think it's better because blackberry is in control of it's own internet services and yes, NONE of the other systems do email better than blackberry, period. BB needs to update it's BIS and do it FAST however.
    nikolas4129 likes this.
    08-13-11 08:21 AM
    I think it's better because blackberry is in control of it's own internet services and yes, NONE of the other systems do email better than blackberry, period. BB needs to update it's BIS and do it FAST however.
    Did you read my original post?

How is BB email better when there is no 2-way sync between my BIS gmail and my handheld. I find myself deleting the same messages twice (once on my desktop, once on my Blackberry).

Anyway, doesn't look like anyone can help. I thought maybe blackberry had implemented proper IMAP with the new 9900. Doesn't look like it.
    08-13-11 08:24 AM
    You don't have your iPhone setup properly for push gmail, that's why. You need to be using gmail's activesync setup for push.

Setting up Google Sync with your iOS device : Google Sync - Google Mobile Help
    +1

I have my work email (mircosoft active sync) and my personal google email also through their exchange active sync on my iphone 4 and it works perfectly. I get all my emails before my desktop does. The reason Im wanting to go back to blackberry is the form factor, I love the blackberry keyboard and overall design of their devices. If only blackberry would support active sync it would make blackberrys almost perfect to me
    08-13-11 08:35 AM
    Basically, it comes down to how one company does things and I prefer Blackberry. Keyboard is awesome; email reliability is awesome.

I had a Android phone for a week before realising it was a mistake. Emails came through when they wanted. Writing a long reply was a nightmare.
    08-13-11 08:56 AM
    I had a Android phone for a week before realising it was a mistake. Emails came through when they wanted. Writing a long reply was a nightmare.
    Was that a "you" problem, or an Android problem?
    08-13-11 09:08 AM
209 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD